Author Topic: Squinting and eye pain from sun glare  (Read 7322 times)

AN Comp

Squinting and eye pain from sun glare
« on: February 23, 2008, 09:08:16 am »
Hi,
My sisters' friend, Barb,  had AN surgery on 12/14/07 having suffered hearing loss increasing over the last several years.  She is having a problem with sun glare being extremely painful. It seems that she has it most of the time, however there are periods when it does not bother her so much. Barb friend wants to know if this will diminish over time, and if having the problem  most but not all of the time is normal?

It has been awful for Barb, and my sister, as Barb is still in the hospital. She came home after a week in the hospital, then was readmitted a week later with a 'leak' accompanied by nausea, and vomiting. To summarize, she has had 3 'leaks' that had to be fixed and an infection plus repositioning the shunt.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Squinting and eye pain from sun glare
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 10:54:52 am »

Yep .. that was me .. I did not drive on sunny days for months after my surgery because of the sun .. or even being out walking in the sun was hard...

in short .. it does get better ! does she have an eye weight? it would help. good wrap around sun glasses.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:14:02 pm »
Joef is bang on here- re

"does she have an eye weight? it would help. good wrap around sun glasses."

This is what helped me - now I am "ok" in the sun. Time heals.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 01:55:39 pm »
Wrap around sunglasses are a must-have for me - but I found a pair that sortof fits tighter along the top (by my eyebrows) than usual sunglasses.  That seems to keep the wind and the sun from getting to your eye when the sun is really bright or is directly overhead.

I know the first time I went out in the sun without glasses if hurt like crazy - like someone was shining a spotlight directly into my eye!  Needless to say, they are permanently attached to my head these days.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 02:27:52 pm »
I went to a Harley-Davidson store (of all places), because they sold 'Panoptix' sunglasses (they have an added padding to prevent wind from getting thru);
I ended up buying a pair of Harley's with the same 'windproofing' b/c they had a pair that fit more 'snug' on my face & prevents wind from
drying out my eye even more....   Best $100. I spent in a long time (then Jeanlea piped in on another subject heading similar to this & she found
wrap arounds for around $20. - worked just as well I'm sure & she saved $$!!).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

AN Comp

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 03:30:44 pm »
Thank you all so much for the info. While Barb is not out of the hospital yet, I am sure my sister will be looking for the wrap around unless she decides to go for the Panoptix. Again thank you, it is good to know there are some kind people out there that can give us some guidance.

waypoint

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:43:38 pm »
This is very common considering she only recently had surgery in December.  I will get better as time goes on.  Does she have any facial paralysis? Sound like yes. I couldn't squint or blink very well after surgery and that cause my eye to hurt, because you don't have full control of your pupil on the affected side. As your nerves come back, so will the control over your pupil and the ability to squint.  Good Luck. I'm 5 months out and can now tolerate the sunlight, but Sunglasses are a must.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

AN Comp

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 07:18:38 am »
The eye weight has not been taken care of yet, however they were aware that this was something that would be done eventually.
Now that they are aware of how helpful that would be along with the wrap around sun glasses they will be working on getting that resolved.

Yes, she does have facial paralysis, balance issues, and frequent nausea. We are hoping the surgery last Thursday to fix another leak will be the last and she will be able to really begin recovery.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 07:58:06 am »
the best thing for balance issues is to just get out and walk ... which could be hard on sunny days..  thats why a good sunglasses are a must.. and take advanage of overcast days! .. my first week back to work was raining and overcast all week ...  the only time I wished for bad weather and got it !  :o
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 01:35:53 pm »
My eyes were always sensitive to bright sunlight (outdoors).  For many years I've worn sunglasses - especially when driving - on even partly cloudy days.  However, I did notice a slightly increased sensitivity to sun/glare following my surgery, which hasn't noticeably subsided in the past 20 months.  Fortunately for me, that sensitivity is remedied by (prescription, in my case) sunglasses, which seem to resolve the problem of increased sensitivity to sunlight for most AN post-op patients.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 05:41:05 pm »
Yes, my eyes were always sensitive too, but it was way worse when my eye didn't close all the way.  I have wrap around Oakley's that are great, and a baseball cap with black under the brim is a must on sunny days!  My eye closes now, but it's still worse than it was before surgery dealing with glare.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar