Author Topic: BAHA Blues  (Read 7475 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
BAHA Blues
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:12:18 pm »
I have been stewing since my appointment last week...

I have more hearing loss in my hearing ear but the doctor says it is still not enough
to worry about as it is serviceable hearing ... it would be serviceable if I had a second
ear to help it out...  >:( ...

sit me in a sound proof booth with a plug right in my ear with a clay like clump blocking out
all sound I may make moving in said booth and yes , I can understand words spoken by
tech...( 85% ) ... but that is not the real world...

He sent me next door to see audiologist about TV ears and BAHA... TV ears would solve
watching TV  without making my family nuts and can get super model and hook up phone ...
but that would not solve day to day stuff

Like not knowing where my name is being called from and having to do a full spin to
locate who is talking ... or the headaches and confusion from having to concentrate just
to know what is going on around me at school and out in public...

They say BAHA is my next best option... insurance will pay for surgery but not hardware
and they want the thing ordered by hospital... $8995 ....I was told by another patient
that was there to have theirs adjusted or something , that their insurance allowed them to order it
and have it sent directly to their doctor when they had theirs done in Florida in the fall and it
cost them only $4200... so if I do it which at that cost I won't  the hospital would make
almost $5000 just to have it delivered to them and hold it til surgery... that just sucks...and
definitely puts it out of my reach...

my insurance would pay for it if I was under 18... so I guess as we get older we are no longer
entitled to hear... :-[  they have a rider I can purchase ($69 per month) that will pick up 60% of
the unit after a 12 month waiting period because the hearing loss would then be a pre-existing
problem...but by that time my co-pays and out of pocket will roll back to zero and the surgery
itself which I was told would run $10000-$15000 would not be covered 100% and it ...that would
run me about $5000 .. . where til June 30th it would only cost me $200 doctor co-pay for surgery and
unit cost...

The doctors told me we could revisit this at my May 19 appointment but I want to jump on it now
and work on getting it paid for or find  a way not to have to pay the huge markup on it ... or just forget
about it all together...

I wore the simulator and it sounded different but so much better than silence ...and the doctor said that the
actual BAHA would be much clearer since sound would be going thru bone and not the skin first...

something also told by insurance is that there is a possibility that they would pay if I could prove that
the loss of hearing was causing me significant mental anguish and problems ... me and friends were talking
about insurance and problems we have had with insurance companies... we came up with a plan
this is part of an email

If Cochlear company will sell me the appliance and a screw me and my partner
in crime at day camp figure we can sterilize her garage,put my head in a vice ,
clean it good with betadine and shoot site full of lidocaine (I have some for
veterinary use that would work) then she can drill a pilot hole and take a screw
driver and twist the thing in ...Bo and her husband can stand by as nurses
if I get wiggly and they can hold me still... and need to get a bottle of
Jack Daniels for pain management and relaxing after the procedure ...
I think all of will need a swig

y'all think that would prove mental anguish and instability ???;)

don't really think we will do home grown surgery but just frustrated that  there is something that
could help and it is out of reach...

they told me Trans ear was not a good option due to size and shape of my ear canals...and
insuracne wouldn't pay for it either...

any insight and ideas to help find a way would be appreciated... some say fight it on age discrimantion
or pull the nut case card...I may be nutty but haven't really lost it yet

just whining and crying in Tennessee... tomorrow will be a better day  :) ..start it right with Total

Good Night
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

lori67

Re: BAHA Blues
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:31:06 am »
Soundy, I'm in TN also - I'll bring some extra Jack Daniels and swing by Home Depot for some spare screws, just in case.  I also have a big box of Snoopy band-aids you can use as a pressure bandage, and a big bottle of Bactine.  Sounds like we may be able to go in business here.

Seriously, though.  This has got to be frustrating.  I think the actual cost of my BAHA was about $4200, and I was fortunate to have my insurance company cover it.  What audiologist do you go to?  Mine told me that usually, the insurance companies deny the request the first time around, but they've ( the doctors) never lost on an appeal.  Now, instead of waiting for the initial denial, they have the ENT or whatever surgeon write a letter of necessity and the audiologist does the same and they send EVERYTHING all at one time so they have no reason to say no.  I go to Dr. d***inson at Vanderbilt and he's been wonderful.

I guess if all else fails - go ahead with the nut card.   ;)

Hope today is a better day!  At least it's not snowing!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:51:36 pm »

I see doctors at Nashville ENT at St Thomas...

the whole thing is just frustrating to no end ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:00:07 pm »
Soundy, Did the TransEar people say you couldn't use their product or did the ENT/audiologist say this? 

TransEar works if you have good hearing in the low and mid ranges. 

Soundy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 07:50:51 pm »
audiologist... said small canal and the shape meaning crooked it would be hard to
fit and get good contact... but I will investigate it further ...haven't even talked to anyone
today about any of it today... had to take a break from it ...so went and put in time at school...
and came home and napped

Translab July 2 ,2007

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 08:30:33 pm »
  I go to Dr. d***inson at Vanderbilt and he's been wonderful.

Oh my... I've been censored.... :o
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:23:09 am »
I tried to decode that with my book of doctor lists but couldn't  come up with a match :D
Translab July 2 ,2007

lori67

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 10:33:44 am »
I think you have to send away for the secret decoder ring for that one.  Just send in  1 box top from the eye gel package and the receipt from a case of hearing aid batteries.   :D

Don

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 11:28:08 am »
 You guys need to buy El Marko black felt tip pens to decorate the hearing booths inside and MRI tubes! Medical Graffiti its the in thing and its nice to read others comments

Soundy

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 08:14:06 am »
I will keep that in mind about the markers...

I got a second consult with audiologist to discuss BAHA and Transear...not til the last of March ,
so back to waiting...I am taking suggestions that I have gleaned from here with me
Translab July 2 ,2007

oHIo

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 09:18:07 am »
Soundy...make sure you ask your insurance company if they will pay for the hospitalization and subsequent surgeries if your garage procedure has complications, especially infection or post traumatic stress.  Make sure you talk to a representative who is recording your call, and be sure to sound very serious when you make the inquiry.  This may help to convince them to pay...or at least that you are mentally unstable ;D

Sitting in a soundproof booth vs. the real world are not even comparable.  Too bad we all can't live in a soundproof booth.  Good luck in your quest.

Don

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 12:21:45 pm »
 I think the biggest thing that bums me about having one ear that works is my wife still cant figure out not to talk to me when Im on the phone as the phone is covering my good ear? I think I need to wear a traffic cone over my left ear while on the phone?

Soundy

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 01:03:01 pm »
oHIo... that would be an interesting call to make  :) ... I have a feeling that I could land in the
mental hospital with little trying ... but they will pay for any member of the family to receive up to
45 days inpatient treatment per year... I guess I could make it a vacation away from the worries of
taking care of the kids ,husband and house and trying to deal with insurance people  :o

Don... my husband and kids talk to me when I am on the phone and it drives me nutz... what
part of deaf do they not understand??? ... I just watch their lips move and nod at them ... most
of the time they wonder off ...

so far I have not nodded permission for anything that has gone overly wrong... unless you count the
kids eating Oreo cookies and ice-cream before dinner and then not wanting to eat because they were
full and it was all my fault
Translab July 2 ,2007

Don

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 01:57:52 pm »
 Its amazing isnt it do you also sleep on the side with your deaf ear off the pillow? Just be glad they think we are still normal my wife is so happy she doesnt have to tube feed me and help me into wheel chair anymore she thinks Im cured! This always causes problems so you have to be patient we look the same pretty much but are oh so different, this is the nature of brain injury for example you wouldnt buy a man with no legs a pair of shoes it takes patience and understanding, my favorite line when dealing with fools is I may be brain damaged but Im not stupid..............

Catflower

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 02:56:03 pm »
I think the biggest thing that bums me about having one ear that works is my wife still cant figure out not to talk to me when Im on the phone as the phone is covering my good ear? I think I need to wear a traffic cone over my left ear while on the phone?

After almost 11 months my husband still doesn't get this either.  He also doesn't get the fact that I can't hear him talking when he's in another room.  I used to run my hind end off to ask what he was saying; now, I figure if it's that important he can find me and tell me so I can hear.