Author Topic: ANYONE ELSE DIAGNOSED WITH HYDROPS AFTER SURGERY (ATYPICAL MENIERE'S)  (Read 2145 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH THIS AFTER SURGERY. DOCTOR SAID IT WAS CAUSED FROM THE OPERATION AND THE TRAUMA TO MY NERVES. I AM ON A DIURETIC, SODIUM AND CAFFIENE RESTRICTED DIET. I AM SO DIZZY I CAN HARDLY STAND. I WAS TOLD THIS CAN LEAD TO HEARING LOSS. I HAVE ALREADY LOST MY LOW TONE HEARING. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS AND HOW ARE YOU COPING?

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: ANYONE ELSE DIAGNOSED WITH HYDROPS AFTER SURGERY (ATYPICAL MENIERE'S)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:16:48 pm »
Hi, I just saw this one and had to respond even if it is weeks old.  Yes, I was diagnosed with what was suspected hydrops/meniere's 1.5 years post surgery as I was not feeling well and regressing post surgery.   It took 1.5 years past that to finally get the right diagnosis of labyrinthitis.  I was misdiagnosed by neurologist, and neurotologist I saw in my town.  I had started using a cane as my balance was terrible, my head hurt daily and at times experienced seizure-type activity (felt I was 10-feet tall). 

It was at the ANA symposium where I met up with my neurotologist and told him of my problems.  He was very apologetic as he had no idea I wasn't doing so well.  (I live 5 hours away from him so sought local help).  I sent him all the tests I had been put through and with the most recent MRI, my diagnosis was correctly made.  It wasn't stress, as previously misdiagnosed by neurologist, nor was it "Symptoms consistent with surgery." as another neurotologist misdiagnosed, but rather labyrinthitis.  On February 5th my neurotologist, Dr. Antonelli, in Gainesville at Shands performed a not often done labyrinthectomy to remove hearing nerve (not working since surgery), cochlea, sacculus, ear bones, semicirular canals and inflammation.  Today my bouncing vision has all but gone away and the same with my headaches.  I am currently in vestibular rehab to bring me back (I was tested at 65% balance) to near 100% balance.  The tinnitus in my AN ear subsided a bit, my hyperacusis in the good ear is no longer there, so I don't wear my earplug that often, but I still experience fullness and constant tinnitus in the good ear.  have been told to monitor my hearing (mild hearing loss in the high end) as he's not sure what's going on there---yet. 

Hope this helps in your quest of your diagnosis.  It's no fun feeling this way and I can sympathize. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear