Author Topic: Facial palsy after nine months..Please help me!  (Read 18930 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Facial palsy after nine months..Please help me!
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 11:15:53 pm »

The purple writing is me quoting Angela … my own face still is weird with synkinesis.  :-\  My balance is good -but face … not so much.  :-[ I hope to be heading out for neuromuscular facial retraining therapy in the not so distant future. I never found a qualified therapist  in the Pacific Northwest – so currently I am looking at Wisconsin…. Nothing like medical tourism as a way to see the USA.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

marg

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2008, 04:28:55 pm »
The Atlanta, GA clinic has facial retraining too....for anyone who is closer to there ( I'm not close to either one... as 4 knows from our talks).   Here is to  recovery for us all
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Angela

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 06:26:48 pm »
Dear "4cm in Pacific Northwest":  My sisterinlaw (an optometrist) had a patient with synkesis!  I was referred to her just before she moved from San Francisco to Oregon (Washington?).  I don't know if she has established her practice up there but please look up SARA SHAPIRO if you get an opportunity. 

Through Sara's partnership with RehabiliCare, I was able to get an electric stimulator for my facial muscles.  I don't know if it idid or did not work;  However, my view is "it's worth a try!"  At worst, it improved circulation in my face.

She was the first [and only] person I have seen with facial paralysis.  I don't cry often but she knew exactly what I was going through without me having to verbalize every detail.  That alone was priceless.

Dr Jackler says I have wasted alot of time and money.  That may be true but I am confident that I did everything I could do in the past 3 years: pray, electrical stimulation, chinese herbs, facial massage, acupunture, and more prayer.  I can look back without any regrets!

Good luck--

P.S.  I like the names Toto and Booger >)
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)