Author Topic: EXTRA MEASURES TO SPEED UP NERVE RECOVERY!!!!!!!  (Read 9666 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

EXTRA MEASURES TO SPEED UP NERVE RECOVERY!!!!!!!
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »
I HAVE STARTED VITAMIN B 12 INJECTIONS MONTHLY AND TAKING A SUBLINGUAL B 12 ALONG WITH A MULTIPLE VITAMIN THAT HAS ALL OF THE B VITAMINS IN IT. I FEEL LIKE IT IS HELPING. I HAD NO MOVEMENT IN JAN AND NOW IN FEB. I HAVE VERY SMALL MOVEMENT. I ALSO DO ALOT OF HEAT AND MASSAGE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY JACKIE DIEHLS IN WISCONSIN NOT TO DO THE FACIAL EXERCISES THAT THE SPEECH THERAPIST HAD ME DOING BECAUSE SHE SAID IT WAS TOO SOON AND COULD CAUSE SYNKYNESIS. I WILL VISIT HER IN APRIL FOR THERAPY AND SHE SAID WE WILL GET STARTED THEN ON EXERCISES. SHE SAID TO LET THE FACE AND NERVE REST LIKE A BROKEN BONE. I HAVE ALSO CONSIDERED ACCUPUNCTURE. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD ANY SUCCESS WITH THIS. MOST DOCTORS DON'T BELIEVE IN IT.

ALSO FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE HAD MOVEMENT...I.E. TINY SMILE.....HOW LONG BEFORE THOSE MOVEMENTS BECOME STRONGER. WHEN I FIRST HAD MOVEMENT IT WAS SO SUBTLE THAT I HAD TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND WOULD BARELY SEE THE SKIN MOVE. DO YOU EVER GET A NORMAL SMILE BACK?

jerseygirl

Re: EXTRA MEASURES TO SPEED UP NERVE RECOVERY!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:05:55 pm »
Crookedsmile,

I have also been taking B-vitamins and sublingual B12 ever since my second surgery in June for AN. I don't have complete facial paralysis, in fact people don't notice it but my face is tighter on the AN side and is doing all kinds of things. Only I can tell apparently. It is diminishing with time, thankfully. B-12 is definitely helping because when I tried to discontinue it a month ago, my face was even tighter and was doing a lot more weird things! So, I was back on B-12 until it goes away completely.

My mother-in-law had Bells Palsy; she had shots of B12 and her face came back. I tried acupuncture for different problem (headaches after surgery #1 and face numbness aftere surgery #2). It worked beautifully for me. I frequently see in the news studies that acupuncture helps with all sorts of things. I disagree with doctors on this one. Acupuncture is not nothing, it really works.

I wish I could predict when your face is going to come back but unfortunately I can't. It is very encouraging, however, that you are getting some movement!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Chambo

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 04:38:53 am »
Your recovery is sounding very similar to mine. I also dosed up on Vit B and also was having weekly accupuncture. I'll never know if it helped or not but good for your mental state nonetheless.

I think your therapist is right. Let the nerve rest as it's like a broken bone that needs time to heal. Don't force movement otherwise synkinesis is encouraged.

The small movements are great. It means your nerve is recovering. Be patient but feel confident that that small twitch in the corner of your mouth will turn into a smile in time. I am 18 months post op and had mouth twitching at 3 mths I think. I am very close to a full teeth smile and my wedding is only 3 weeks away... Come on nerve... Work with me! Hehe
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:48:55 am »
Hi C:  I DID go to an excellent acupuncturist, 2x per week - would have over 10 needles in my face. 
I think if your nerve isn't going to work, it isn't going to work (for me); if your nerve is going to work, it IS going to work (for you).

I was also told not to go for facial therapy UNTIL movement began...

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:38:02 pm »
[flas ???Wow  I guess I should take some vitimin B  my face hasnt changed much. I have the synthesis(?) I call it a snarl  :-\ Anyway I wish you well.    Linny
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Angela

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:44:52 pm »
I agree with the vit B!  That was confirmed to my by the EMG dr, 2 nurses, and 3 acupuncturists.  In general, anything that improves your overall health, including physical fitness, nutrition, proper rest, etc.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

lori67

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:21:20 pm »
This thread made me look into the accupuncture thing for my facial issues - I had never really thought about it much before, but since my surgeon is discussing doing the 12-7 nerve jump on me, I decided I would exhaust all my other options before I have surgery again.

I met with the guy today, and once I got over the fact that he looked about as old as Doogie Howser was back in the day, he seemed to make sense.  We're going to try 2x a week accupuncture and accupressure.  He also gave me some herbs that are supposed to help and a list of foods and things to avoid.  I'm going to pretend I didn't see the part that said avoid barbecued food until after Memorial Day - what's Memorial Day weekend without a bbq???

I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks for sharing the idea!
Lori- soon to be pincushion
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:02:58 am »
Lori,

I hope acupuncture works for you! It works for other things related to nerve conduction, so the rationale is there. That would be GREAT if it helped you. Best wishes always,

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.