Author Topic: ENOG test  (Read 4889 times)

LMH

ENOG test
« on: May 07, 2008, 03:20:11 pm »
I am new to this forum (approx. 8x6 mm AN diagnosed 9/06) and am trying to find out info about an ENOG test.  I have this strange sensation around my eye (almost like a numbing).  Two doctors have been concerned the AN could be affecting the facial nerve.  Two other doctors have said it's probably not related.  I spoke with a dr. at the House Clinic last week who suggested having an ENOG done.  Just wondering if anyone has had this and if it rendered any useful information.

Thanks,
Lisa 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: ENOG test
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:29:40 pm »
Hi, Liza and welcome to the site and the board.   I haven't had the ENoG test but here's some information on it.

Electroneuronography (ENoG) is an objective measurement of the facial nerve. This nerve controls the movements of the face. The ENoG is performed by audiologists to determine the integrity or function of the facial nerve.

Patients who have partial or complete facial weakness or paralysis are candidates for the ENoG test procedure.

Usually facial weakness occurs on only one side of the face. Patients with facial nerve dysfunction have limited facial expression on the affected side, i.e. inability to close the affected eye or move the mouth to smile.

In addition, there may be associated difficulties with speaking, eating and drinking. The results of the ENoG test procedure are given to the patient's physician to help them determine the best approach to take in treating the facial weakness.

The ENoG test usually takes 30 minutes.

It requires you to sit very still during the test since even small muscle movements can be recorded by the computer.
No other preparation is required.

You may take your normal medications and follow your normal routine the day of the test.

Flat electrodes (or wires) will be taped to the back of your neck and near the ala or crease on both sides of your nose. The electrodes measure the response from your facial nerve.

During the test procedure, a small stimulus bar will be placed near your ear. You may experience some mild discomfort for only a few seconds while the response is being recorded.

Several recordings from both sides of your face are often required to successfully complete the procedure. A copy of the test results will be faxed to your referring physician after the results are analyzed.

I copied this from the Medical College of Wisconsin website.  http://www.mcw.edu/hbc/PatientCare/PracticeSites.htm.  I hope it explains the ENoG test for you.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:33:07 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

er

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:10:20 pm »
Hello Jim,
Thank you also for the information, I checked for one near me and I am going to give them a try.

Telephone: 713-798-6336

Fax: 713-798-8658

E-mail Address: vertigo@bcm.edu

Mailing Address:

Center for Balance Disorders
Bobby R. Alford Department of Otolaryngology
- Head and Neck Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, NA315
Houston, Texas 77030

Physical Address:

The Neurosensory Center of Houston
6501 Fannin, Suite NA315
Houston, Texas 77030

LMH

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:56:32 am »
Thank you Jim!  I'm still waiting to hear back to schedule the test.  I don't have any facial weakness or paralysis - just strange sensations all around my eye (almost a numbness) so I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate for the test or not.  Guess I'll wait to hear from the doctor(s) to find out.

Thanks,
Lisa

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:42:13 am »
I have facial paralysis that resolved into synkinesis around 4 months.  My symptoms include a pulling down/droop of my lower lip and a raising of my upper lip so I look like I am snarling and I have the smile/cheek/blink thing.

I started botox and therapy and found botox most helpful.  I have injections in my nasolabial fold, chin, neck, corner of my eye, between my eyebrows...it changes a little each time.  Sometimes I have a bit on the good side to even things out.

I need much less now and not as often.  My mouth is my main problem.  My smile is still quite crooked, I can't close my mouth which I HATE (and affects my teeth) and I need to drink through a straw. 

However, the botox can be very helpful and I have seen definite improvement in the past year even without the botox.  Hoping to continue to see some in the next year as well.

Good luck.  Its a long, frustrating, journey.

I would give a lot for a normal   :D
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now