Author Topic: Your opinions, please  (Read 3058 times)

cindyj

Your opinions, please
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:03:59 pm »
Hello,

Just found this board today and would appreciate any input any of you may have...I have not been diagnosed w/ AN, however, I am scheduled for some further auditory (I think) testing in a couple of weeks.  I have a long history of vertigo (10 yrs) and migraines (20+ yrs), about 2 years or so ago I "woke up" w/ ringing in my ears.  I did a bit of research and decided there was really nothing that could be done and have just put up w/ it until now.  Last week my ENT determined some hearing loss in one ear and recommended further testing...I was/am reluctant due to the cost and I really thought I must have Menier's Disease (spelling?).  But, I have now discovered AN and am curious to know if my history sounds like this might be something I have.  Is it possible that a tumor would have started many years ago and is just now causing other symptoms?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

jtd71465

Re: Your opinions, please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »
As everyone else will say(post)...have an MRI w & w/o contrast to prove or disprove the existence of an AN.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:29:20 pm by jtd71465 »
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:35:11 pm »
Hi Cindyj,

I agree with jtd71465, an MRI with contrast will let you know if you have an AN. My only symptom was ringing in my ear. Yes, it is possible that you have had this problem for a long time. You are on the right track. Do not panic, you will not die from this. We are here to help you get through this, if in fact you do have an AN. Please keep us posted on your progress. I wish you the best!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:52:11 pm »
Hi Cindy and welcome.....

I have to agree with what others note... we always note that an MRI, done with contrast, is the best way to diagnose an AN.  Please see this link from the ANA website for how to properly "ID" an AN:

http://www.anausa.org/id_tumor.html

I hope this helps.... and sending wishes of wellness to  you.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:38 pm »
every person is a little different .. but for most these tumors are very slow growing .. an could be in there for many years before you knew! .. as others have said .. an MRI with contrast is the gold standard to see if you have a tumor ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

mema

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:07:03 am »
I suffered with bad vertigo attacks for 4 years before my AN diagnosis.  But as others said they are slow growing.  Mine was 6mm x 8mm.That makes me think it was growing 2mm a year.  But I also have friends who have suffered vertigo and do not have any type of tumors.  Hang in there!

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:48:03 pm »
Thanks so much for your replies!  I have learned a lot reviewing this site.  I will wait patiently for my follow up tests to be done in a couple of weeks and will let you know the outcome.  I am not a worrier and am a natural opptomist, so I will hope for the best (which I think is going to be Meniere's Disease).

Thanks again!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings