Author Topic: BAHA - local or general anesthetic ?  (Read 10169 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
BAHA - local or general anesthetic ?
« on: February 01, 2008, 09:01:01 pm »
For those of you who've had BAHA surgery, I was wondering if you had local or general anesthesia for the procedure, how you decided which to have, and if you were happy with your choice.   ???

I've had surgeries with both local and general anesthesia, and I'm leaning towards going with the local, but am not 100% sure.  Doc says he can do it either way.  I'm not afraid of pain, but I am wondering just how creepy the sound and smell of the drilling is (not to gross anyone out).  I've read some posts on the BAHA Forum website where patients actually talk about having local anesthesia and sleeping through the procedure, but I can't imagine that is something I would be able to do.

Also, what if I go in saying local and at some point decide I want to change my mind.  Is something like that possible?  Or would I be stuck with local once the procedure is underway?

Feedback, please.

Thank you,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

1wareagle

Re: BAHA - local or general anesthetic ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:41:38 pm »
Jan,

Sorry but I can't help you on this one. I had mine installed at the same time as my surgery. I have read other post that they were not put to sleep but I'm not that brave!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Sam Rush

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:04:15 pm »
I had local for my BAHA because they (Dr. Brackmann et al) were using me for a teaching demo for visiting Drs, and I wanted to hear the discussion, and I wanted to drive home afterwards,   However, my blood pressure shot up dangerously high, and they kept me overnite at St. Vincents. 
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:31:06 pm »
I had general only because I've been a nurse in the OR and I know all about the gross sounds and smells and I'd rather not hear or smell them coming from my head.

Besides, I don't get much chance for a good rest.  I didn't have any problems - in the OR at 10am - and home by 3pm.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:47:39 pm »
Thanks for the feedback all.

Ellis, I would have loved to have the BAHA surgery at the same time as the AN surgery, but neither the doc nor I was planning on my being SSD.  Oh well, sh*t happens  ;D  You can't have everything in life and I'm eternally grateful he saved my facial nerve.

Sam, can I ask? is blood pressure usually a problem for you?  I don't anticipate it being a problem for me, as I've been on blood pressure meds for years, but you never know.  BTW, it's great that you could be a "demo" for others - I wouldn't mind doing that myself.  Anything to help the cause!

Sam & Lori, being medical people, can you tell me, IS it possible to switch anesthesia midstream?  As in I go with local and then if I totally freak out, switch to general? or is that not a good idea?

Obviously I'd ask my doc before going into it, but I'd like to know if you think it's a possibility.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

danijake

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 04:28:33 pm »
I just had mine done this morning and I went with general. I'm a baby when it comes to that stuff.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 05:33:37 pm »
Hi Jan.

Usually when you have general, someone from the anaesthesia department will call you a few days prior to the surgery to go over your medical history and you would need to go to pre-admission testing - EKG, blood work, review of meds, etc.  I don't think they have to do that for a local, so I'm not sure if you could switch at the last minute, because you wouldn't have had all that other stuff done.

You can mention it to your doctor though and see what he says. I'm sure you're not the first person to ever question which one is right for you.  As far as a local goes, they can give you meds to make you not remember any of the procedure (Versed) and they can also do a procedure called conscious sedation, which doesn't require putting a breathing tube in, but you're still asleep and won't remember anything.  I'm not sure what the pre-admission requirements for that are, so you'd have to ask.  The anaesthesia department is really good about accomodating you, at least that's what I've always found, and they can usually come up with something that will get the job done and still make you happy - even if it requires knocking you out with a cast iron skillet!   ;)

Dani - glad it went well.  Hope you don't have too much of a headache!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 05:49:46 pm »
Dani:  glad to hear all went well....   Let us know if you feel it's helping.   

I'm still in the contemplating mode - I think mainly because I don't like the thought of something sticking out of my head....

Always good thoughts,  Nancy

2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »
Lori -

thanks for the info.  I'll pass on the cast iron skillet  ;D  and will talk to my doc more about my anesthesia options. 

Dani -

glad your surgery is over.  How did it go?

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »
I called to schedule my BAHA surgery this morning and said I'd go with local rather than general.

I was told that amazingly 98% of the BAHA surgeries my doc does - and from what I hear he does a lot - are with local anesthetic.  I was very surprised by this statistic  :o

Going with local eliminates a lot - the need (and cost) for an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist to put you "out" since the doc administers the meds; no lab work; no fasting; no need to wake up from the drugs; etc.

I figure I'm calm enough about the procedure to do it without being knocked out and as long as there is no pain I'll be fine.

Sure hope I'm right  ;D

lori67

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 03:06:24 pm »
You'll do fine!  You've been tough enough to make it this far - I'm sure this won't be so bad!

Lori

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 04:48:10 pm »
Let us know how it goes Jan,  we'll be rooting for ya!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Sam Rush

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 12:54:30 pm »
Yes, you can swithch to general if you freak out, but that is unlikely as it is a short procedure.

good luck
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 09:55:31 pm »
thanks, Sam

as of yesterday, I've decided that I am not going to freak out - that's all there is to it

the doc may have to find someone to hold my hand if things get too creepy, but I'm thinking I'm brave enough to do it while I'm awake

Trevi16

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 11:05:17 pm »
Just had the BAHA surgery 3 days ago.  I was under local and don't remember a thing.  It was quick and painless...until I got home and the anesthesia wore off...Make sure to take your pain pills! ;)
26 yrs old
3cm AN left side,
Transpetrosal aproach 3/22/05
Jeffery Harris from UCSD Thorton La Jolla is my doctor/ surgeon.