Author Topic: Tinnitus & Diet  (Read 3041 times)

FlyersFan68

Tinnitus & Diet
« on: January 15, 2008, 09:45:25 am »
Hello Everyone,
  It's been awhile since I've been here. I hope everyone had a great Christmas & New Year. Ive been busy with my family especially my son and his hockey. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about one year ago. Diet and Actos have quickly brought my insulin down to normal levels. I am off the medicine and relying on diet alone at this point. If it stays normal then I will be off the medicine for good. I couldn't help notice how my tinnitus has drastically improved. Ive been eating foods namely cereals with plenty of fiber and eliminated a great deal of sugar. I'll use 1-2 packs of Splenda in my coffe versus my old habit of 4 packs of sugar every day sometimes twice. I used to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted but realize now those days are long gone. At this point I believe that replacing sugar, drinking lots of water, eating more fruit and getting plenty of fiber have all helped my tinnitus. I've never really considered my tinnitus severe. Maybe low end middle before and after surgery. When I used to wake up at night to use the bathroom my tinnitus was terrible. Now I don't really notice it at all. It would be nice to hear your thoughts. Is it the diet change or have I just adapted. I also think that less stress has helped too. Here is a link to help support some things. Check out the diet section.   :)

http://www.jeffreywarber.com/hc%20pages/tinnitus.html

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Tinnitus & Diet
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:55:39 pm »

now that's interesting! ... myself I found that after surgery my "T" was better.... however , I was on morphine ;-) ... once I got home it was still at a low hum .. had my cup of coffee in the morning and everything...

Once I started work.. BANG! .. it has spiked .. back to my old habits of working long hours and drinking coffee all day....  >:(  and now its LOUD ....

I don't use sugar in my coffee (just cream) .. but I still feel I have waaaaaayyyyyyy to much caffeine and sugar ...

How much coffee do you drink? ... ya got me thinking it would do me good to get my diet in order.. and it might have a bonus of bring my "T" down as well  ;D ;D....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:11:32 pm »
Thanks for posting this - I also found it interesting.   I think, though, since my/our tinnitus is due to nerve damage, diet changes won't help?
I've been eating organic, lots of fruits/veggies, no caffeine, no alcohol, I do however smoke cigs.  (nutso, I know).

Lately, when I go to bed, it seems every night I get the buzzing, bad - at first I thought a bee or something zoomed into my ear;
after swatting at my hair I realized it's a 'new' tinnitus.  And it happens every night at bedtime, go figure.....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:20:40 pm »
This is really interesting, thanks for posting. I have always been diet conscious because diabetes, high blood pressure and the rest run on both sided of my family, so minimum sugar, salt and saturated fat for me. I can only confirm when article talks about Ginkgo Biloba and tinnitus: it takes months to work, at least two. That has been my experience as well.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

marg

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 12:22:43 am »
Eve,   Does Ginkgo Biloba really help your tinnitus..... and if so how much does it help?
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:42:16 am »
Marg,

Ginkgko Biloba really does work for me by decreasing my tinnitus from roaring to nothing or almost nothing. I take 120 mg every day in the morning in one dosage. The brand matters. I tried different ones and the ones that work are Ginkoba and Solaray. Trader Joe's only works partially, so some tinnutis always returns after a couple of weeks. The original studies done for tinnitus use Ginkoba brand so I stick with that. The price varies from store to store, so you have to shop around.

In my experience, Ginkgo takes at least 2 months to work in order to stop the tinnitus but it takes two weeks for it to come back if I discontinue Ginkgo! I find tinnitus is like weight: harder to lose than to gain. A word of caution: Ginkgo is a blood thinner so if you are taking any prescribed by your doctor, the effect will increase.

Hope it helps!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 05:30:50 pm »
Interesting stuff- the tintinitus doesn't bother me so much- a low hum.  It's the ear and jaw throbbing that do... and if I drink lots of water, low caffeine, low sodium- this helps the symptons go away...

Thanks Flyerfans 68- good to hear from you and the others... Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys