Author Topic: My wholistic, natural therapeutic approach  (Read 22994 times)

kelli

Re: My wholistic, natural therapeutic approach
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 03:56:43 pm »
Hi Tumbleweed,
Taking it one day at a time is very important.  Even taking it moment by moment helps throughout this process.  I remember the first week after surgery, I had to crawl to the bathroom because I was so dizzy.  It will get better.  What really helped me for cyberknife was to bring in my own favorite CD and ask them to play it very loud.  It was very helpful for me to focus on the beautiful music and keep my eyes closed.  The music took me to another place and I was able to relax.  I was also told after 1 ck treatment that I was done.  They had changed the plans and I just went in 1 day instead of 3.  I am interested in what herbs and supplements you plan to take after CK for your nerves.
All the best to you,
kelli :)
Diagnosed 3cm AN January 2007
Tried holistic treatments for one year. Finally had posterior fossa at Kaiser Redwood City with Dr. Nutik on Dec 20. Followed by cyberknife at Stanford in April for residual tumor.
Thank you Dr. Nutik!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 10:32:06 pm »
Thanks, Kelli and Lori, for your supportive words. And Kelli, what a great idea you shared to bring music to the CK treatment. I'm sure I'll be nervous when the time comes. The music should be a big help in my staying calm.

I'm just beginning to develop my post-CK program, so it's bound to change a little. But here's my current thinking:

Foods that are nerve tonics:
raw garlic (raises the respiration rate of cells, thereby increasing oxygen which encourages the regrowth of nerve tissue).
leafy green vegetables (high in vitamin A, indicated in some studies as being beneficial to hearing)
salmon and trout (rich in B vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids, both nourishing to the central nervous system)
Brewer's yeast (rich in B complex)

Supplements that tone the nervous sytem:
vitamin E
B complex
calcium (take with magnesium to enhance absorption)

To try and prevent tumor swelling, I plan to continue taking Wobenzym or Flavenzym; these are different brand names for exactly the same formula of systemic enzymes (bromelain, papain, etc.) that have been shown to reduce inflammation.

I will also take daily an anti-inflammatory herb formula which will likely consist of turmeric, burdock root, licorice root and ginseng root. Licorice root is a natural source of adrenocorticotropic hormones; that is, it is somewhat similar in action (though much milder and less effective) to Decadron. To be sure, if my tumor swells and my doctor advises I take Decadron, I will. But the licorice root -- along with the other herbs -- will hopefully have enough of a prophylactic effect that I won't need to take the Decadron. The "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" philosophy.

Willow bark (from which aspirin is made) is an effective anti-inflammatory herb that would probably make a fine addition to the formula mentioned above, but my stomach is sensitive to the salicylic acid content, so I don't have much experience with that herb.

That's my two cents...

Best wishes to all,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

sgerrard

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 11:13:56 pm »
Tumbleweed and Kelli,

I know you are disappointed that a natural approach didn't work. I think that ANs, once they are big enough to be detected, are like broken arms - they are the sort of thing that you have to go to a hospital to get fixed. If you could have been diagnosed when the AN was 1 mm, the results might have been quite different.

It doesn't surprise me that Dr. Chang's group doesn't know of a difference made by supplements after treatment. They are mainly interested in tumor control and similar metrics. I think supplements may make a big difference in the quality of life after treatment - an area often neglected by conventional medicine, though that is starting to change now. The stories on this forum show that there is more to AN treatment than just stopping the tumor growth.

I hope you don't lose faith in the power of diet and lifestyle and holistic health. I am afraid that you are something of pioneers as far as searching for better ways to deal with ANs. Even if they don't help you directly, your efforts may well help others find successful ways of reducing the impact of ANs on our lives. It is worth a try.

Thomas Edison, when asked about his many failed attempts at creating a light bulb, said something like "They weren't failures at all. Finding out what doesn't work is the first step towards success."

Best wishes and best of health,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 11:46:14 am »
Tumbleweed and Kelli,

...I hope you don't lose faith in the power of diet and lifestyle and holistic health. I am afraid that you are something of pioneers as far as searching for better ways to deal with ANs. Even if they don't help you directly, your efforts may well help others find successful ways of reducing the impact of ANs on our lives. It is worth a try.

Steve, thanks for sharing that. I wasn't sure how my posts would be received and thought some people might write off my posts as harmful quackery or simply disillusioned thinking. I posted my program truly because I thought there was a small chance it might help someone. Had it been valuable information and I had not shared it, I would've been guilty of neglecting my duty to other human beings suffering from the same disease. I offer my thoughts on this board with deep humility, knowing this is a disease that is not easily controlled.

I agee with you that this condition is like a broken arm that must be fixed using conventional medicine. Some conditions are like that; western medicine has its place, and I'm grateful for it. Perhaps natural modalities would have worked before the tumor got so big and "gathered a head of steam."

I'll continue with healthy diet and exercise, even though my tumor is seemingly unresponsive to my efforts. Perhaps my program has helped preserve my hearing more than would have been otherwise (one consulting neurosurgeon said that my hearing is "phenomenal" for a tumor of this size). And when I get the CK treatment next month, I want to be as healthy as I possibly can be so my body can eliminate any post-treatment inflammation as effectively and rapidly as possible.

Anyway, thanks for your support, Steve.

Tumbleweed

jerseygirl

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 06:52:08 pm »
Tumbleweed,

I am sure that you helped yourself with your natural approach. I have followed a diet, exercise and supplement regimen since I was 18, way before mainstream doctors recognized it. In fact, I have been kicked out of the doctor's office more that once  for even mentioning Vit. E. Times , fortunately, have changed! When I was diagnosed with a huge tumor at 25, I had perfect hearing and speech discrimination. Doctors could not believe their ears. They could not believe their eyes either since I looked and moved perfectly, too. There are studies out there that document a positive effect of vitamins, minerals and herbs on a human body and its functions. I do think they help enormously. Your body has to be strong and its fuctions maintained before life saving treatments like surgeries and that is where so called alternative approaches can help. Otherwise, there is nothing to save!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 09:08:40 pm »
Thanks, Eve! Words of wisdom.

All the best,
Tumbleweed

kelli

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 08:49:59 pm »
Thanks Steve for your supportive and kind words.  When I told my surgeon I am going to try and heal myself naturally, I gave him a good chuckle.  Followed by a stern warning that I shouldn't wait on a 3.1cm tumor.  I'm glad that I tried and will continue my healthy diet throughout my recovery process.
Thanks Tumbleweed for sharing your post treatment supplements.  I am taking these now.  The wobezyn also has chymotripcyn (sp?) in it which I read has very strong tumor fighting properties.  I read a story on the internet how a man cured himself of his brain tumor by taking megadoses of chymotripcin.  I was only able to find it in the wobezyn.
I wish you all the best with your CK experience.
Best wishes,
Diagnosed 3cm AN January 2007
Tried holistic treatments for one year. Finally had posterior fossa at Kaiser Redwood City with Dr. Nutik on Dec 20. Followed by cyberknife at Stanford in April for residual tumor.
Thank you Dr. Nutik!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 11:50:56 pm »
Thanks Tumbleweed for sharing your post treatment supplements.  I am taking these now.  The wobezyn also has chymotripcyn (sp?) in it which I read has very strong tumor fighting properties.  I read a story on the internet how a man cured himself of his brain tumor by taking megadoses of chymotripcin.  I was only able to find it in the wobezyn.
I wish you all the best with your CK experience.
Best wishes,

I hope it helps, Kelli. FWIW, I took the standard dose of Wobenzym for the six-month period between initial and followup MRIs: 3 pills first thing in the morning and 3 at night on an empty stomach. (Make sure you take it on an empty stomach and wait at least 30-45 minutes before eating anything after taking the Wobenzym, or it will just digest your food and not the inflammation-based proteins.) In retrospect, maybe I should've been more aggressive and taken double the dosage suggested on the bottle's label, as my tumor grew during my six-month interim period between MRIs.

An alternative product to Wobenzym is FlavenZym, made by NSI. It's the same exact formula as Wobenzym (the same ingredients and in the same proportions), but costs much less than Wobenzym. You can order Flavenzym online at www.vitacost.com. If I remember correctly, my bottle of 800 pills only cost around $65.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55:09 pm »
Kelli, here's the direct link to FlavenZym on Vitacost's website:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-FlavenZym-The-Ultimate-Systemic-Enzyme-Formula-Compare-to-Wobenzym

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed