Author Topic: BCBS of Illinois and House Clinic  (Read 5834 times)

steverino

• extremely grateful
BCBS of Illinois and House Clinic
« on: January 21, 2008, 04:29:35 pm »
Hi.  first time poster.  Looking forward to talking to everyone!

I am considering House Clinic for my AN surgery.  Has anyone had any experience dealing with BCBS of Illinois when they wanted to go to House?
Steve Ellerbrake
Lebanon, Illinois
12/03/2003- 4mm AN diagnosed by Dr. Gail Neely, Barnes Center for Advanced Medicine, St. Louis
12/03/2008- 1.3cm AN Middle Fossa removal by Drs. Rick Friedman and Marc Schwartz, House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BCBS of Illinois and House Clinic
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:41:36 pm »
No experience with House or BCBS of Illinois, but if you live in Illinois, you might want to check out The Ear Institute of Chicago @ www.chicagoear.com  The docs are top-notch and highly experienced in treating ANs.  They do both GK and surgery and have offices in Evanston, Elk Grove, and Hinsdale.

Jan
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:29:41 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OTO

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:47:43 pm »
House is contracted with Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  In my case, it was Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Hawaii (Hawaii Medical Service Association).

House will send you a one page summary of the estimated cost.   You can call Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois and ask them to double check that House Clinic is listed as a contract provider.   The House Clinic Financial Office can assist.

Also need to check which hospital, your doctors what to use.   Typically, the House doctors will use St Vincent (across the street from the House Clinic).   However, recently, some House doctors have been performing surgery at Cedars Sinai.   Cost will include the surgerical service;  ICU and regular Hospital room; Physical Therapy; and Lab/X-ray.

Also need to confirm who the neurosurgeon will be.   Dr. Schwartz is on the House Clinic staff.  Dr. Hitzberger is independent.   You might want to ask your doctors which Anesthesia Service they will use too.

House Clinic works with Dr. Stefan (upstairs in the Clinic building).  Dr. Stefan is internal medicine.  He will do a pre-surgery physical (includes EKG, pulmunary function test, blood work up and chest X-ray).  He will also visit you in the Hospital post-surgery.  You will also visit him in his office before you leave LA.  He is contracted with Blue Cross/Blue Shield.   

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:41:36 am »
Hi,

Depending on the size of the company you work for, they may be able to negotiate with House to become an approved provider.  That is what happened with me.  The insurance company through my work assigned a case manager and their contact with House made them an innetwork provider making my costs reduced.

My experience with House was outstanding.  They invented most of the procedures and tools used in acoustic neuroma operations performing approximately 200 per year (House website state).  This was one time I wanted to be a garden variety. They also do a consult for free..just send them the MRI's and the report to the address listed on their website.

That being said, there are several experienced doctors in Illinois.  I found that most of them were new to Middle Fossa in 2001.  Most operated with translab and retrosigmoid regularly. One thing that was important to find out was the number of surgeries performed using each type of surgery.  There is a drastic difference in numbers among the various types.

How large is your tumor?

Good luck in your journey.
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 12:27:43 pm »
Kate -

Chicago Ear does every kind of ear surgery imaginable - including those totally unrelated to ANs.   From what I know, they do perform middle fossa and are very experienced with it.  The doctors there are more than happy to give out their "numbers" for all types of surgery that they perform.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
Kate -

Chicago Ear does every kind of ear surgery imaginable - including those totally unrelated to ANs.   From what I know, they do perform middle fossa and are very experienced with it.  The doctors there are more than happy to give out their "numbers" for all types of surgery that they perform.

Jan

Jan,
Yes, I use Chicago Ear as my Chicago Doctors :).  I  know they are great doctors; Dr. Wiet is cited on page 107 of Chicago's Top Doctors. When I was diagnosed in 2001, the number of middle fossa surgeries were few in comparison to the other approaches.  I decided to go to California as a personal choice.

Kindest Regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:28:56 pm by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 08:54:34 pm »
Hi Steve
Wish I had known about this Board while I was going through the Insurnace maze.  I can't speak to Illinois but I can tell you that BCBS California covered everything at House and St Vincents except for a few co-pays.  I went through Slatery, Schwartz and Stephan with a 4 day stay at St Vincents.  That was 10 weeks ago and I haven't been billed anything.

When you see some of the numbers tossed out at you at House -- it does cause some concern.  I almost pulled the plug on my surgery because I wasn't getting any straight answers on insurance.  I did at the last minute and went ahead with the surgery.  Financially there was no issue.  Read some of the post-op posts though to realistically know what you may dealing with.  Have the surgery, but be informed.  Best wishes.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 09:03:29 pm »
Most acute care facilities have an affiliation/contracts with BCBS.... my understanding is... that regardless of HEI or MGH or other acute care facilities, they will negotiate directly between hospital and Insurance.... the key is... making sure your insurance will accept a facility that is out of your coverage (home) state as not all will... with HEI, seems to be common that they will cover, but other facilities may not be covered.  Please double check your individual coverage/benefits.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"