Author Topic: Antidepressants  (Read 20636 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Antidepressants
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 04:52:06 pm »
will call you, Captn  :-*

xoxo
signed,
cursed cruise director
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »
Hi Deb.      I couldn't take the Prozac either for same reason, that it made me jittery.     I wasn't expecting that reaction.    I couldn't handle the Celexa either as gave me some bad GI problems.  I kept at it for almost a month.    I am not on anything at the moment but probably need to be. I hope the Celexa works for you.    I read in the fine print that only 8% have the problem I did with it in their triials.              Of course only 5% of AN's are NF2 so guess I go for those small percentages!                                         
                                               Cheryl R     
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

OMG16

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 10:55:29 pm »
Capt Deb my Dr put me on generic Celexa in December for my facial/bone tumor because I was having some nerve type pain and he said to try it and see if it helped.  Well I haven't noticed a difference in my mood, but I wasn't depressed just very sick with fevers high white count ect.  It did help the nerve pain which I will still get if I forget to take it for a few days.  So maybe if you have a nerve pain type component to your headaches this might help that also.

Topamax does cause so many side effects that I would like to see my son go off of it but the Neurologist will not let him.  He did agree to let him try a smaller dose.  He is now only taking 75% of the dose he used to and is doing alot better.  So I hope that you experience the same thing.  I also noticed the longer he was on it the worse he got.  It was almost like he was becoming Topamax toxic.  Have you experienced similar symptoms?

How is your Social Security case going have you heard anything at all about it?  I'm very sorry you have been feeling so bad lately and I know I have missed your great posts.  Many kisses to your forehead.  :-*  :-*  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Static

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 06:21:14 am »
Just wanted to add, I had been on topamax for over a year but wanted off of it because I felt that my thoughts and memory were being effected by it.  My neuro told me that, unfortunately, is also a side effect of topamax and that it is sometimes referred to as dopamax.  I will be taking my last 25mg dose tonight, I was up to 150mg twice daily and honestly, I can't tell a difference either between my thought processes and my headaches.  Both are the same and that may be because all the topamax is not out of my system yet or it wasn't making a difference for me anymore.  Either way, it's one less prescription to fill and pay for and one less med to take each day.  Regarding Celexa, I had also tried that drug a few years back and it really was of no significant help to me personally.  Cymbalta has been the one that has worked the most and it's ashame that the darn drug companies have to mark these things up so much that make them unaffordable to those who really need them.  It does not cost that much to make them, but drug companies are just cash hogs.  Maybe government should do something about regulating mark up costs instead of saying they are going to be helping to provide insurance coverage to everyone, or is that just because they are being bought and sold by the insurance as well as the drug industry. 
Anyway, Deb, I hope something is working for you.  Honestly, sometimes the side effects are something you may have to deal with if the end result is worth it.  You have to weigh your options as with anything else.  Puppy therapy also helps, but when those pains and aches start going, sometimes getting to the puppy can prove to be nearly impossible!  Hang in there!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 06:31:18 pm »
I think the body starts to get used to taking the same drug long term and the benefits reduce.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 01:38:20 pm »
I'm finally weaned off the Neurontin as of today, which I think was contributing to the fatigue factor of the depression. Also the puppy therapy has helped in getting me more exercise--I feel really guilty if I don't get the pup out for a walk every day if not twic, and besides she'll make us nuts if we don't wear her out somehow.  Tapering off the przac as we speak and starting on Celexa on Monday. Lemmesee--do I wanta have less headaches and have to take antidepressants to counteract the side effects of the less-headache-medicine, or do I wanta have raging headaches and not have to take happy pills? Hmmmmm.................

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 02:21:46 pm »
me likes it when you are happy... naturally....
xoxo
Your cursed, cruise director
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 06:58:24 am »
Glad you are working things out Deb.  I've been off the topamax completely for three days and feel no difference from when I was on it.  I guess it wasn't working for me anymore.  That often happens with meds for me, I get immune to the beneficial effects.  Now, until something else is worked out for other problems, I'm at that in between time when you wean off one thing to be able to take another and that's when things can be at their worse.  I was put on sleeping pills again (lunesta) to see if getting a better nights sleep would help me have more energy in the morning and during the day.  It doesn't.  What will I be asked to try next.  Sometimes I just feel like a big fat guinea pig!  My thought processes are still messed up, so it wasn't the topamax.  I don't see the doctor again until the end of the month.  Maybe I'll call next week and make an earlier appointment.  The weather needs to warm up and get sunny because the cooler rainy stuff we've had isn't helping either.   I just want to feel back to my old self before AN.   I know I'm lucky to not have other problems that are worse, but I guess I'm just in a self pity party today  >:(  I hate it when that happens!   
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 04:44:17 pm »
I must be the 'weird' one - I was on Prozac before, & am back on it - been about 2 weeks.  It worked pretty well.   I'll see how it goes this time around.....

Karen:  My PCP also put me on Trazodone for sleep (at my request) - it's pretty benign, doesn't leave you overly groggy in the am.    I take 50 mg about 40 minutes before sleep - if I wake up during the night I can get right back to sleep.    Other people I know take 100 mg.     On the detox unit I work at,  the doc orders 50 mg with a repeat of 50 mg if needed.   It is not habit forming or in the 'sedative/hypnotic' class.   It's actually another antidepressant with sedating qualities.
Just an fyi my friend.

Always good thoughts,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 11:33:53 am »
Just wanted to chime in on this issue.  I realized about a year ago that I was depressed (probably due to my 50-ish hormonal changes) and spoke to my GP about meds.  He put me on Lexapro and I believe it has made a huge difference.   It can take several months before you really see a difference with some anti-depressants, so hang in there. 

Ironically, I was going to see my GP this month about stoping the meds (thinking the worst of the hormonal craziness might have passed).  Then, I got the news about this thing in my head!  After talking with my doc, he strongly suggested that this would NOT be the best time to stop the meds.   ;D

There's no shame in anti-depressants - doesn't make us crazy or any other less flattering adjectives.  IMO, it is a wise person who recognizes when life may have become way to difficult to handle without some sort of help. 

BTW, I was very lucky that the first med I tried worked for me - many people have to go through several differents meds to find the right one - so don't give up!

Warming up in NJ...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 11:15:26 pm »
Hi, I take zoloft, and zanax, I know zanax isnt the best(because of addiction to them) but I only take one a day and they are low dose. The Zoloft helps pretty much I still get alittle depressed but I can deal with it.  Good luck ::)
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

tatianne

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 01:31:51 pm »
Im on prozac for the past two months 40 mg...it seems to help a little but I can definitly relate to the jittery and lack of #$@# drive...

Im also taking klonopin for anxiety attacks.

At the same time Im starting cognitive behavioural therapy to cahnge my thought pattern which my psychiatrists beleives is my main issue....so Im seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist...yipee !!!

Hope your feeling better capt deb!
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 12:30:26 am »
 ???I think some of this could be menopause? I am on zoloft, I was scared to take prozax it has weird side affects for some.but anyway Im doing just fine on the zoloft. except night sweats, but it will eventcially go away. Glad they make you all happy. :) ;D
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2008, 08:04:27 am »
Hi Linny-

In my case, it was definitely the onset of menopause - night sweats, insomnia, depression.  After this AN adventure is behind me, I'll work with my doctor to wean off the Lexapro and see if my hormones are under control.  Sigh. 

Debbi - B minus 12 (OMG!!!)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

danijake

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2008, 08:47:33 am »
I was on prozac in 2001-2003 and it worked for me. But, that was when I was having severe migraines once or twice a month. It helped a lot.

On this depression topic I was told by my "ex" neurologist that I was bipolar and he put me on 120 mg of cymbalta and told me to see a shrink. OOOOOHHHHHH my gosh. I was mad. He also put me on an anti seizure med and I became toxic. It put me in the hospital. That's why I switched neurologists.

Right now I'm not on any antidepressants. I have my bad days, but I get through them. I wonder if the neurontin is really helping. I'm afraid to stop taking it because it may be working. My occipital nerve is being a bad little guy.

This is from my chiropractor...The muscles in my neck are compressing the occipital nerve which is making it fire all the time. And that makes sense to me.

Everyone's different and it may take many antidepressants to find the right one. So hang in there!! :)