Author Topic: Am I losing my mind?  (Read 4806 times)

OMG16

Re: Am I losing my mind?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 10:57:36 am »
Being a trial lawyer with these issues must be very hard.  I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this.

My son has disability due to his cognitive problems and he was tested by a neuropsychcologist than put these problems in black and white for all to see.  It is expensive and insurance does not always cover it I believe it was $2500-3500 both times we had him tested.  These test will check you working memory, long term, short term and I believe how you convert memory to your hard drive so to speak.  Then we took this info to his high school and to his speech therapist and they helped to teach him how to overcome some of these issues.  These tests were also used to determine his percentage of disability with the Social Security Admin.  He suffered a massive stroke and lost 2/3 of the right side of his brain and still has his brain tumor so he qualifies in many different areas.  As far as it getting better my son is almost 3 years post op and he is still making progress however not as much as the first 2 years.  He does have alot of problems when he is tired and is easily confused then.  I hope that our story will help you in your search for answers.  Take care. 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

tuckerro

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 04:48:21 pm »
OMG16,

I am by no means complaining, just venting with what I find myself dealing with in my own little world.  I guess its all relative, and my situation is much better off than some of those posting in the forum.  Not that you said so, but to be clear, I by no means meant to complaint of my situation, and belittle others' situations which are more trying.

My heart goes out to you in dealing with your son.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ron

----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

OMG16

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 05:32:47 pm »
Ron thank you for your reply.  I was trying to explain our situation and what helped us with cognitive issues and disability. I did not want to mislead you that it is easy to get disability for cognitive reasons without the testing so that is why I explained his situation.  I was hoping that I could help you in some way.  Please accept my appologies it seems my foot has been in my mouth on this thread twice now.  You have every right to vent, complain and to get the help, advice and support from the other members on this forum.  Don't let my posts prevent you from doing this as my intentions are to help.  I wish you well and will help you in anyway that I can.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.