Author Topic: Hello and need encouragement  (Read 2926 times)

zjane

Hello and need encouragement
« on: October 28, 2005, 03:40:51 pm »
Hi I've been lurking on the board since we discovered my AN in Right ear 1 year ago.  It was 1.0cm back then.  In May of 05 it grew to 1.1cm.  Decided at that point to pursue Radiosurgery.  I'm scheduled to have FSR with Dr. Lederman in NYC on Nov. 7 thru Nov. 18th.  My MRI baseline done on 10/24 showed a little growth to 1.4cm now.  That means my decision to get it treated is still a good decision and I can't wait to have it zapped.

I saw the post in the general section regarding AN and pregnancy and just wanted to share that when I discovered my 1st AN my baby was 9mo. old and I had been breastfeeding till that point.  Between the May MRI and October MRI I had a miscarriage and was on the patch for 2 months and I'm not sure it that had contributed to the faster growth than the 1st 6 mo. period. (Nov. 04 thru May 05).

I wanted to say hi to everyone and thank everyone for the valuable information you share.  Please wish me luck with my FSR treatment and I will report my experience to everyone when I get back.
right side AN found Nov 04 1.0x0.7
FSR Cabrini - Dr. Lederman 5 sessions Nov 05 1.4x1.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

2yr Post-Op MRI Apr 09 Clean

jamie

Re: Hello and need encouragement
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 04:10:49 pm »
Hello zjane. There seems to be alot of debate as to whether these tumors are made to grow faster with female pregnancy hormones, the studies say no, but alot of pregnant women seem to experience more rapid growth, it's a tough call I guess. Good luck with your FSR. Where in NYC are you going to have FSR? What kind of machine are they gonna use? 
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

David707

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 05:31:16 pm »
Hi, Zjane,

You will be in my thoughts and prayer.  Keep us posted.  You know we will be all with you eventhough not physically.

Best Wishes,
David(707)
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 06:25:49 pm »
Hi zjane,
You are in my thoughts and prayers.We pray for a great outcome and a speedy recovery.
Keep us posted,
Lynn

zjane

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 07:59:35 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies and prayers. I really appreciate that!

Jamie, I forgot to include the Dr.'s name in my first post: I'm going to see Dr. Lederman in NYC's Cabrini Medical Center.  Thru my research it seems they have quite high success rates.  Interestingly I haven't seen many posts on this forum discussing their FSR.  I have spoken to Dr. Lederman a few times and have been exchanging email with him.  He sounds very nice and sincere.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a successful treatment.
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

jw

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 10:09:06 pm »
Hi, zjane.

I'm pleased that you made it to the forum and introduced yourself.  And it's good that your AN is small enough that you can zap it early.  I'm sure this is a very stressful time for you and you are anxious about the procedure.  This is a good group with a lot of support.  The prayers and good wishes of many people (including me!) will be with you during your procedure.  And, we'll all be waiting to hear from you to know how well it went!

Do you have many symptoms at this point - hearing loss or tinnitus?

It will soon be behind you and you will be back home with your wonderful baby, with a very good recovery!
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

zjane

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 06:06:31 am »
thanks jw.

The symptom led me to the initial MRI was vertigo dizziness, each episode was only a few seconds to half a minute but it happened frequent enough to cause concern.  lately i haven't had too much dizziness i guess the body learned to compensate.  My hearing is still very good and i'd like to keep it this way.

Interesting how my Dr. 's name kept being switched to "Doctor". I wonder if there's a rule here that i'm not aware of.