Author Topic: Yeah!!! It is a miracle!!!  (Read 2594 times)

ShanaBee

Yeah!!! It is a miracle!!!
« on: December 27, 2007, 02:34:17 pm »
Hi All

I wanted to thank everyone for the support I have received since being diagnosed 8/30/07 with a 3.1-3.2 cm AN.  I turned 28 November 27th and scheduled surgery with Dr. Jackler and Dr. Harsh for the 28th at Stanford.  I just wanted to let everyone know that I am doing great!!!!  I had no facial problems other than a grade 1 out of 6 on my forehead which left me with fewer wrinkles!!!  And the best part....they removed over 97% of the tumor!!!  I lost hearing in my right ear but I had no eye or facial problems and no CSF leak!  In fact, I walked out of the hospital 4 days after surgery!  I can't say enough about their team and the excellent treatment I received at Stanford.  My surgery was 12 hours long because they truly took the time to be cautious and to remove as much as possible without causing damage.  The hearing loss doesn't bother me, I prepared for the worst and literally walked away without a scratch and with a better appreciation for life!

Thanks again to everyone!!! =)   ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 01:14:14 am by shanabee »
3.1 cm "Cloudy"
Retro Approach, 11/28/07
Removed 97%, SSD
Dr. Jackler and Dr. Harsh
no facial damage, walked out of the hospital 4 days after surgery with no problems!!!

OMG16

Re: Yeah!!! It is a miracle!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 02:46:47 pm »
Awesome!!!!  Happy belated birthday.  Thank you for taking the time to post your experience.  I am very happy for you.

I must say this is the first time I've heard about the wrinkles.  There is always a silver lining to each experience some are harder to find than others.  It sounds like you are solid silver through out.  Great great great news take care.  16 ;D
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 09:50:58 pm »
Shanabee,

3 cheers for the Jackler and Harsh team!

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

So glad it went so well for you. I was worried about the headache issue too - with the Retrosigmoid approach. I have not had headaches either (except for the wicked caffeine withdrawal post op because coffee tasted so gaud awful)… but my heart sure goes out to those who do. Perhaps it was partly miracle  ;) - but I will also say highly skilled and very competent surgeons.  :)

Who was your assistant? Mine was Dr. Agrawal – a real gem of a sweetheart he is!

Dr. Agrawal was so confident that my facial issue would resolve with time. 3 months ago I really did not believe him– now I do. My top lip now smiles … still waiting for the bottom lip to pucker up into action. 99% of my tumor was removed … I’ll bet them leaving that extra 2% gave your facial nerve higher preservation … 12 hours is a very long surgery (mine was 11 hours) … and it sounds like taking that extra time paid off.

I personally am very pleased to read your success story. Way to go!

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

debora

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 11:08:39 pm »
Awesome  I love a great ending....  Deb

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 11:55:05 pm »
Wow, Shanabee, what a great outcome. 12 hours is a long haul, but you have come out in really good shape, you can't ask for better than that. A nice birthday present from an excellent surgical team. It's great that this is behind you now, and you can go on with your life. A very Happy New Year to you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 04:48:26 pm »
Shanabee -

glad you're doing well and had a positive experience after such a lengthy surgery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Leisa

• keeping on OPEN mind
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:19:40 am »
It is so nice to hear you had exceptional medical care and a great outcome.I will be having surgery in Feb at Standford with Dr. N. Blevins and S. Chang. I was told to count on a week in the hospital and 3 months recovery, driving about 6 weeks post op. So your stories are an inspiration! Thank you and hope things are brighter each day : )
1cm 11/07
Surgery at Standford with Chang and Blevins on 2/25/08
49 y.o.
BIG 50 PARROTHEAD PARTY 6/08