Author Topic: Should Dr's be held responsible???  (Read 6024 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Should Dr's be held responsible???
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 06:34:17 am »
One thing I have learned in the past 7 yrs of multiple diagnosis... as much as I was the one that chased down the dr's... as the one who became more educated about my rare conditions vs. the med students that sat in on my dr consults... as much pushing and shoving I have done to try to find the medical help I needed to help cure what ails me (and as many of you know, I have my trifecta... what I certainly didn't hope to have by the age of 40).  One thing I have learned.... dr's are not Gawd. 

For each time I have been misdiagnosed... for every test and scan and lab work and office visit appt and change of meds, for every insurance co-pmt that has truly affected my wallet and savings, etc.... dr's certainly are not Gawd.  Those dr's that I work with now... I have to commend. At least they have the cajones to verbally admit "I don't know" or "I'm not sure but let me check"... at least they have nerve to admit when they don't know something and I have to giggle sometimes when I find out that I know more than them through my research to become the best self-patient-advocate I can be.

Dr's, lawyers, any professional... I constantly remind myself they are not gawd's gift, they don't know it all and they are human.  Some are good, some aren't and we all make mistakes in life.

For me, I draw on my inner strength (and on strength provided to me by those I surround myself with in life) and remind myself to "deal" with it. Now, I know it doesn't work for everyone, but in my case, it does.... I just "deal". I have found inner peace to "deal" with what is now in my life that cannot change.  I have learned to accept the things that remain with me. I have learned that as much as I fight and tug and pursue and want.... that sometimes it works...and for those times it doesn't, I have accepted things as they are and I "deal".  Pursuit of the better if achievable, accept what I cannot change. For me, this has worked.

Just noting how it has worked for me... nothing more, not passing judgements, nothing.....my hope is that many can find inner strength to push back what attempts to weigh them down.  Thus, this wonderful support network. If you don't have the strength, know that many of us here do to help you through this struggle and journey. Our shoulders are always here (with a few bad jokes, watered down driniks and endless popcorn) to help you through this time.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 07:56:37 am »
I agree with Phyl.  Having dealt with doctors all my life, and lawyers for too long in the very recent past, the bottom line is that they are human.  They cannot guarantee anything 100% and it's up to the patient (or client) to recognize that.  In the case of doctors, they are dealing with various patients, and as we consistently say on this forum "everyone is different".   I can't imagine having a profession where I literally hold people's lives in my hands.  It must be a tremendous responsibility. 

I am not at all saying that doctors and/or lawyers should be irresponsible.  I'm just saying that they aren't infallible.  In my experience doctors do their best.  Sometimes their bests aren't good enough and you have to move on to someone else, but all in all, I have a huge level of respect for doctors. 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

matti

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 11:44:59 am »
I was misdiagnosed for close to 2 years and often wonder how different my outcome would have been if my AN had been caught earlier.  I will be 10 years post op this coming July and now looking back on the symptoms that led me to seek help, many of them were very subtle and would often subside for periods of time. I did not have classic symptoms (if there is a such a thing) My hearing was perfect.  I can see why some of the doctors dismissed it as an allergy or eustachian tube problem.

6 months prior to my diagnosis my symptoms became quite noticable and I new something was very wrong.  10 years ago the internet did not offer what it does now, so info was very sketchy.  I had to rely on what doctors were telling me, but this time my gut feeling kept me moving from doctor to doctor. I was finally diagnosed by my dentist, who called my primary and suggested an MRI. My doctor was appalled that my dentist would do that and proceded to shake his finger in my face and tell me that he will never let a dentist diagnose a patient and how angry he was that I sought treatment behind his back. When my MRI came back showing the AN, I went to the primary's office and proceded to shake my finger in his face and let my feelings be known.  So my anger did not come so much from the delay, but more so in the attitude.

I will be having wrist surgery on Jan. 10th and my orthopedic surgeon was not totally clear on my initial diagnosis as it is a rare condition. He suggested that I seek a second and third opinion and helped me in my search. He asked if it was possible that he be kept informed with each doctor and I said "absolutely". All three surgeons consulted with each other. As a patient that meant the world to me.

Unfortunately, bad happens in every occupation, but I try not to let that ruin the all the good. (It's hard to do sometimes though)

Phyl, I've been on this site for many years and I wish you'd quit watering down the drinks  :-*

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 12:00:42 pm »
Phyl, I've been on this site for many years and I wish you'd quit watering down the drinks  :-*

it's holiday season... "adult" eggnog is on the menu! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

OMG16

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 12:45:32 pm »
We have been so blessed since our lives changed.  We have a stronger bond between all of us in our family.   This experience has changed us to our core.  We have become better people because of it.  Imagine our surprise when a family friend tells us that we have a wonderful son who when asked how he felt about this, he says I have a new normal,  I have learned to forgive and my family is everything to me.  Forgiving doesn't mean forgeting and some days are very hard.  You need to get through those feelings in order to heal and this is a great website for that.

Badkins whatever you need just let me know and hopefully I can help.  I have big shoulders.

Yeah I love eggnog.  Please no cloves with mine.  The smell reminds me of the dentist.  Does anyone have any christmas cookies. 
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 12:28:29 pm »
When I saw Dr Rick Friedman from HEI at the ANA Symposium and he asked about my headaches, (mind you this man does a hundred or so of these surgeries a year and this was almost 5 years ago and he remembered me as soon as he saw me) I told him they were still pretty bad, you should have seen the look on his face.  He just shook his head and said "I'm so sorry, we did the best we could." And you know, this man is one of the best in the world and I still have Gawd-awful life-changing headaches.  He proceeded to explain that when they opened me up, the dura (lining of my brain) was extremely tight. That is the story--they don't know what they are up against till they go in there and they do the best they can. Can I blame him for my incapacitacion?

Now, about shifty paperwork and avoidance afterwards, that is another matter. Dr Rick worked with my local neurologist to try to get a handle on these buggers, answered every one of my phonecalls and emails still reads all my MRI's and participates in my aftercare 5 years out as much as I ask him to.

This is a tough one.......

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

marg

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 03:24:34 pm »
I think we all wonder at times if the outcome of our surgeries (or radiation) was the best possible it could have been ..or..... did something not go quite right  and that's why .............I lost all my hearing - and/or have facial paralysis - and/or now live with  horrible headaches -- and/or  fall over if I turn a bit too fast.  The truth is we will never know what really happened inside our heads when the treatment was done ................... and at some point we will have to move on into the 'new normal' and hope that with time things will get better (and they usually do.....at least somewhat).

As far as doctors making changes in charts and covering up facts to protect their "bunns"  ....that would set off alarm bells in my head (louder than the tinitus I hear all the time  ;) ) and I would get a good lawyer and check things out........... mainly because I would not want someone else to have the same experience with that doctor.  Most doctors try to do their best (I know my neurosurgeon did ) to give us the best outcome they can .... but if the doctor is unethical .... I wouldn't want him/her working on anyone else.

Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

badkins

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 08:45:16 pm »
Hi All,

I hope everyone had a Happy Holiday!!! Just got back from my ski trip. I thought I would try to ski again but that didn't quite work out so well. Balance on skis is Okay but looking over my shoulder and coming back makes me dizzy then I loose my balance. Anyway I'll keep trying. Thanks for all the comments , I am seeking a new neurosurgeon at this time. I am moving on with life. There is a 2 year statue of limitations On January 10 2008, I will be at 2 years. As everyone said I am alive if I wanted to pursue my doctors I wouldn't have waited this long. I will always wonder like Marg just said.... what happened?..... Anyways  "HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE !!!!!" 2008 will be better than 2007 may we all have less headaches this year and keep them down to a low roar. ;D

Beth
18x18x19mm an rs 1-10-06
Translab approach
Gamma knife 9-29-06 UVA
25% regrowth 1st follow-up
Life has been good to me :-)

marg

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 10:07:51 pm »
Amen to the 2008 less headaches wish. 

Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

OMG16

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 01:32:44 pm »
I'm on board with the hope of a new year better than this last one.
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 04:53:22 pm »
Hi, Beth:

I'm so sorry to read of your unfavorable post-op experience.  I hope this forum is of some help to you.  We try.

It appears as if there might have been some questionable actions taken by the doctor following your surgery.  It is probably worth pursuing with a reputable, experienced attorney who knows their way around the medical profession and how to deal with recalcitrant physicians who use 'patient privacy' and/or the rightly hallowed but occasionally abused 'doctor-patient-relationship' as a shield to obscure unpleasant facts that expose possible malpractice on their part at a detriment to your well being.  However, as Phyll stated, doctors are not omnipotent or infallible and these AN surgeries are highly complicated.  Less-than satisfactory outcomes do happen.  The question is whether it was unavoidable or due to physician error.  The furtive actions of your doctor post-op and his failure to follow up with you at all is problematic, at best, and indicates a desire on his part to avoid you.  The question is: why?  That is what an attorney may be able to discover.  However, it could take quite some time so if you choose to file a lawsuit, patience is absolutely necessary.  It may take years, literally, to discover what actually happened and more importantly: why it happened.  It could have been unavoidable and the doctor is simply embarrassed and frightened that he'll be sued.  His avoidance of you and record-tampering don't bode well for his intentions and he has only himself to blame if you do decide to sue him.

Fortunately, I had a very caring, concerned and skilled neurosurgeon who kept me informed all the way - and did a remarkable job.  He visited me in the hospital (5 day stay) and called when I came home to check on my condition.  I've seen him every six months since my successful surgery and he always conducts a cursory neuro exam and has me get a 'fresh' MRI scan.  My AN is in necrosis and shrinking.  We both share in the good news and I always give this excellent medical professional  his due.  He is as modest  as he is skilled and says he just did his job.  His name is Dr. Issac Goodrich.  Even when my 'AN experience' is a distant memory, I will never forget him.   I also realize that I was beyond fortunate to find this doctor...I was blessed.

I trust your condition will improve and that you can regain some semblance of normalcy in the near future, which is always our goal.  Let's hope that 2008 is a better year for you than 2007.  Please know that you'll be in my prayers and probably the prayers of many others who read your post.  We wish you all the best.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.