Author Topic: Having Surgery in Two Weeks  (Read 4186 times)

Mauri

Having Surgery in Two Weeks
« on: September 03, 2007, 05:42:51 pm »
I am a 54 year old pastor who is facing surgery in two weeks on my AN affecting my right ear. At this point it is a little over 1cm in size. I had been in a watch and wait mode, but since I found a little more hearing loss recently, I decided to go ahead and get it removed instead of waiting anymore. I would welcome any thoughts about what to expect concerning the surgery itself, and the recovery time. Because of my work, I am worried that there might be more hearing loss in that ear. My doctor is Dr. Peter Smith, and the operation will be performed at St. John's Mercy Hospital in St. Louis.

Desilu

Re: Having Surgery in Two Weeks
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 05:58:57 pm »
Hi Mauri,

Did your doctor explain what approach that he was going to use for your surgery? That will determine if he can save any of your hearing or not. Has your doctor done a lot of AN surgeries? When it comes to AN's numbers do count. I hope he has done lots of them. I had middle fossa approach and the doctors were able to save 90% of my hearing. My recovery time (total) from surgery to going back to work full time was 8 weeks. You know your body better than anyone else. Everyone is different so the recovery time will be up to you. You don't want to over do it. Just take one day at a time.

I too was on the watch and wait mode until my tumor decided to grow. It is good that you have decided to do something since you realize that the tumor is now affecting your hearing. I wish you the best on your AN journey. If I can help in anyway, just send me a personal email.   Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Mauri

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 07:32:01 pm »
Hi Desilu,
       Thanks for your reply. I don't know for sure yet what specific procedure he will use. I will call and ask tomorrow. I am glad you did fairly well with your surgery and recovery time. When you said 8 weeks, did you mean you were off work for 8 weeks, or that it just took that long for you to feel like you were back to normal again?
        What was your experience like right after surgery?

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:27:56 am »
Hi Mauri:  Well, where to begin:  The first thing I remember is how off my balance was, walking the hospital corridors with a walker.  I unfortunately ended up with facial paralysis (not the norm) - won't even go into the issues with that.
I had terrible headaches AFTER discharge (day 5) for about 2-3 weeks around the clock, then it started easing up (I rarely had a headache preop).  I was lucky to have my mom stay with me the 1st 2 weeks I was home - she did the cooking, cleaning - the FATIGUE is UNBELIEVABLE !!!!    I started driving week 3 (difficult at first due to the dizziness when you turn your head from 1 side to the other).   I went back to work 2 months post op (3 days a week for 2 weeks, then full time).
I personally have not been the same since surgery, over 14 months ago - alot due to facial paralysis, eye issues....
I wish you all the best Mauri, but remember, this is brain surgery, it takes the body time to recuperate.   It does seem however, the 'younger' folks bounce back quicker.     Take care,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 03:14:38 pm »
Hi Mauri,

In response to your question. I was able to take 8 weeks off of work so although I felt well enough to go back in 7 weeks, I took an extra week off just to relax.

I was very blessed. My surgery lasted only 4 hours. Other than feeling a bit nauseated and off balance from the doctor cutting my balance nerve, I never threw up. They gave me meds for that and they worked. I didn't have any headaches and other than some temporary facial paralysis and loud tinnitus, I was in pretty good shape.

There are no guarantees with sugery or radiation. You have to choose the best doctor for you and then leave it up to him and God to do the rest.

Please keep us posted on your progress.     Ann
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 03:16:11 pm by Desilu »
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 03:19:31 pm »
Hi, Mauri:

As the cliché goes, "we're all different".  That remains a constant and explains the variable recovery rates you might read about here and elsewhere.  Unfortunately, my hearing was irreparably lost prior to surgery.  I underwent retrosigmoid approach surgery plus radiation (see my signature, below) and experienced a very good outcome and a rapid recovery.  Your experience may be somewhat different, of course, but I trust It'll be similar.

I was in excellent health 'going in'.  My surgeon was top-notch, I had solid family support and many prayers said on my behalf.  I believe all of these factors aided in my recovery.  My pre-op symptoms (loss of equalibrium, loss of taste, fatigue) subsided almost immediately following surgery.  After almost 5 days in the hospital and a few days at home spent shaking off the effects of the anesthesia and regaining my strength, I was well on the way to recovery.  I walked as much as I could and I was given permission to drive within two weeks of the surgery.  I felt pretty good.  As a retiree, returning to work wasn't an option but returning to my former, active life, was.  I managed to do that within about 6 to 8 weeks, although, to be starkly candid, I didn't really feel '100%' until about a year following the surgery.   

I trust this account, although personal, is helpful to you, Mauri, as that is my intent.  Remember, AN surgical outcomes vary, sometimes wildly, but with your relatively small AN tumor and an experienced surgeon, along with a positive attitude and much prayer, you will likely do quite well.   I pray that you will.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mauri

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 11:50:19 am »
To Nancy and Jim,
        I really appreciate your comments and encouragement. Please keep me in your prayers as my surgery draws near. I will be in touch  in the next few weeks about how things go.

Mauri

jimmy r

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 06:47:18 pm »
I had my retro surgery about 10 weeks ago. 5 days in the hospital; another 3 weeks of sleeping a lot and some really nasty headaches.
I started working a little after a month but only a few hours a day - mostly email and phone calls. Still very tired the second month. I am  now close to full speed but not 100%. I still get real tired if i overdue it. Good luck to you. I still have a 2cm tumor that i will need to have radiation for.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 06:13:26 am »
Mauri -

by my calculation, you are now a "postie" - or will be soon.

I've been thinking about you and praying for a good outcome.

Let us know how it all went.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NW

• 9mmx8mmx10mm Surgery Oct.17,2007
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 08:09:52 pm »
Hi Mauri,
Hope things went well for you. I also had mine removed 9 weeks ago. How is your recovery going? Amazing how each day you feel a little better.
Also amazing how the anticipation is worse than the surgery itself. I'm sure others will agree!. Wishing you well! Nancy