Author Topic: Six Year Wait and Watcher  (Read 3552 times)

Sheryl

Six Year Wait and Watcher
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:21:10 pm »
Just got results of my annual MRI - no change in the past three years!!  Started with an "incidental" finding in November of 2001 of a 9th cranial nerve schwannoma - sort of like an AN but not on the 8th cranial nerve.  This was read at 9 mm, but on second opinion may have been a tad larger.  Recent one holding at 13 mm.  So, approximately 4 mm over six years, no symptoms, and no pressure on the brain stem.  Even better news was that in between I had breast cancer and there was no sign of metastasis.  Hubby's brain tumor (benign meningioma) was surgically removed in 2004 but showed regrowth recently and he underwent cyberknife this past summer.  Husband and wife with benign brain tumors - someone should do a study on us!!
Sheryl
p.s.  Derek - are we the longest "wait and watchers"???
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Derek

Re: Six Year Wait and Watcher
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 10:01:38 am »
p.s.  Derek - are we the longest "wait and watchers"???

Hi Sheryl...

Not sure about the stats on that one Sheryl  but I sure would like to hold the record of being on 'wait and watch' for the longest period following diagnosis and without any form of treatment intervention!

As it stands I think we are doing rather well at the 6th year mark.

Best regards and hoping that your hubby's CK proves successful.

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.