Author Topic: Strategies For The Hearing Impaired  (Read 3022 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Strategies For The Hearing Impaired
« on: December 04, 2007, 08:04:06 am »
Some of you have been living with this impairment for a while and have already figured out some of these techniques on your own--good for you!  This is more for those who are "new" to functioning with hearing loss.  I know I and my family members could've used this information upon day one of my hearing impairment.  We muddled through as best we could, but this information could've made it easier for all.  After starting a lip reading class I was handed an info sheet on tips for the hearing impaired and wanted to share in hopes of making the transition an easier one on the hearing challenged and family/friends.

For Family Members And Friends Communicating With A Hearing Impaired Person:

1.  Be patient.  All conditions of communication are changing and the hearing impaired person is learning new skills to communicate better.
2.  Gain the attention of the hearing impaired person before speaking.  Face the person and get on the same level whenever possible.
3.  Stand close enough so the hearing impaired person can see your face clearly.  A distance of 3-6 feet is most desirable.
4.  Have the lighting in our face, not behind you.  The hearing impaired person needs to see your face clearly.
5.  Avoid background noise whenever possible.  It interferes with the hearing impaired person's ability to clearly understand the message.  Turn off all radios, TVs, water, etc.  Move away from excess noise when possible.
6.  Do not speak to the hearing impaired person from another room.  They cannot understand what is being said.
7.  Do not speak to the hearing impaired person with your back turned to them or when walking away.  They need to rely on visual clues from your face.
8.  Keep your hands away from your mouth.
9. Don't have objects in your mouth such as food, gum, cigarettes, etc.  If you wear a mustach, keep the upper lip visible as this helps seeing the word being formed.
10.  Don't shout.  It may give the impression that you are angry.  Learn to speak distinctly and clearly.  Enunciate your words.
11.  Speak at a normal rate, slightly slower if needed.  Do not exaggerate your lip movements.
12.  Do not drop your voice at the end of words and sentences.
13.  Use facial expressions and gestures.
14.  State the topic you are going to talk about.
15. Expect to repeat yourself at times.
16.  Confirm details.  Double check key details of the message (times and places) to make sure you were understood.
17.  Get to the point.  Use different words if necessary.  Write words down if needed.
18.  Arrange the room (living room) where communication will take place so the speaker or listener is no more than 6 feet apart and everyone is visible.
19.  When the hearing impaired person is tired or ill they hear and understand less.
20.  Be understanding.  The hearing impaired person already feels that they are a tremendous burden.

Communication Strategies For The Hearing Impaired Person:

1.  Position yourself in a way that you can best hear as well as see the speaker.
2.  Be attentive.  Concentration is very important.  Take breaks from listening when possible so that you can give your full attention to important information.
3.  Observe the speaker.  Use your vision for clues to supplement what you are hearing.
4.  Watch the speakers lip movements for clues.  You can easily tell the difference between some words by the way the sounds are formed on the lips.  For example:  "fat" and "pat".
5.  Use clues of intonation, rhythm and stress to give more information to the message.
6.  Watch facial expressions, gestures and body language for additional clues.
7.  Pay attention to the context of the message.  Concentrate on ideas and not isolated words.
8.  Determine the topic.  Listen for key words and phrases.
9.  Keep up with current events.  Know the topic being discussed ahead of time when possible.
10.  Avoid poorly lit and noisy places when trying to understand what is being said.
11.  Keep in mind the distance to the speaker.  The closer you are the more of an advantage you will have in understanding what is being said.
12.  Keep in mind the size of the room.  It will be easier to hear and understand in smaller rooms.
13.  Understand the acoustics of a room.  Rooms with hard surfaces such as tiles will cause sound to bounce around (reverberate) and make the message harder to understand.  Rooms with carpet will give you a better advantage.
14.  Plan ahead.  Consider challenges you may face and be prepared to face them.
15.Talk to the teacher or presenter ahead of time about needs you have.  Do not interrupt a lecture to ask for assistance.
16.  Inform the speaker of your hearing loss and tell them what your needs are.
117.  Double check details such as times, dates, etc.
18.  Remember to have realistic expectations.  Even with hearing aids you will need to use other strategies in many listening situations.

Repair Strategies:
Instead of saying "what or excuse me" over and over, try these:

Repeat - Use this strategy when you have missed the entire message.  "Please say that again"
Rephrase - Ask the speaker to say the message in a different way.
Partial repetition -If you heard part of the message, let the speaker know.  Then ask for repetition of the missed portion of the message.  "You're going to the store when?"
Simplify - Ask the speaker to say the message in a simpler way.
Elaborate - Ask the speaker to give you more information.  "Please say that again but now say it in two sentences."
Key word - Ask the speaker to tell you or spell the important word in the sentence.  If you know the key word you can figure out the message easier.
Spelling - Ask the speaker to spell out the word you missed.
Confirm - Repeart information to be sure it is correct.  "Did you say..."

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Desilu

Re: Strategies For The Hearing Impaired
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:50:41 am »
Hi Arushi,

Very useful information! My son needs to read number 6 and 7 he is constantly speaking to me from another room and expects me to hear him. Then he will start talking to me and walk away and  expect me to hear what he says. Thanks for the post!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:19:39 pm »
Thank you for posting this. As you know, many of us have to deal with hearing loss and this information is great! What is the source of this information so that I can cite it and possibly copy and distribute it?
Thanks,
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

lori67

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:23:37 pm »
This is great!  I'm printing it out and hanging it on the fridge!

Thanks for posting that!  Much appreciated!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Omaschwannoma

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 07:10:28 am »
YES!  A positive response!  That is why I spent the time to type it by hand the other day.  This came from my lip reading class.  I am taking these classes as the hearing in my serviceable ear, in four months time, shows mild hearing loss on the high end.  This concerns me so better I'm prepared for MAYBE what's around the corner?  Block and copy what I typed and print it out as lori67 is doing as there is no "sight" just here!  I gave this paper to my hubby and the next morning I could see his top lip for the first time since surgery!  Had I known then.......sigh!  I also have met some wonderful people at this class and will be attending their once a month meeting of the HLAA (Hearing Loss Assoc. of America).  We had lunch today with some and what a difference being at a restaurant with the hearing impaired!  I had a great time, heard more than I ever have as they LOOK you in the face while talking, speak clearly, etc.  This should be handed out to all post treatment patients that are SSD from our surgeons the day we leave the hospital and passed around to family members as well. 

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 10:31:44 am »
I'm planning on taking lip-reading and maybe sign language classes in January.  I've always wanted to learn sign language anyway and you are absolutey right - you just never know what's in store for the future.  I definitely took my hearing for granted before.

Thanks again.  After my husband started talking to me from the other room last night, I took the list off the fridge and pointed out the line where it says "don't do that!".  I may have to roll it up like a newspaper and hit him with it before he remembers consistently.   :D
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Omaschwannoma

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 01:08:21 pm »
OMG Lori!  If that wasn't the best visual of the day---I laughed out loud and just as soon as I'm done here I'm emailing it to my hubby!  He'll appreciate your humor and his denseness!  As we often say to one another---dee, dee, dee!  It certainly is a huge learning curve for everyone involved with the AN patient and my guy does a great job in changing for me.   ;D

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:48:39 pm »
Posting this sucker on the fridge, too! Also rolling it up and using as a swatter! I use my captain's voice like I did on my vhf radio and I say " say again."

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 01:21:02 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 06:02:59 am »
I posted this on my frig and gave each family member a copy to read.  They all looked at me and said,"Oh, this isn't you at all!"  What a bunch of dimwits I'm around.  I explained that yes it is me and they all laughed and said no way.  I'm putting a rock in the end of the one I'm using as a swatter.  Even my dear ENT said, "Oh it can't be that bad."  I'm changing ENT's!!!!  Only in Texas!  My PCP made a copy and is using it as a hand out!  Thanks, Karen for posting it.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lori67

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:51:38 am »
Brenda - make it a big rock.  They say everything in Texas is bigger anyway, right?

Lori