Author Topic: Yeah! Translab scheduled  (Read 2919 times)

firewalker

Yeah! Translab scheduled
« on: December 04, 2007, 04:54:33 am »
Hi everyone!

I finally made up my mind as to who is doing my translab. After much research, I decided to go with Dr Brackmann and Dr Schwartz at House Clinic in LA. My translab is scheduled for 1/30/08 and my husband and I will be staying at Seton Hall (hospital resisdency) until my stiches are removed. If all goes well, we'll be flying back home to Wisconsin on 2/10/08.  Dr Brackmann gave me the best odds for temporary facial weakness (20%) for my size tumor and the surgery is expected to last 3-4 hrs. That's a significant reduction in surgery time from what other surgeons have quoted me. He'll also give me a titanium mesh cranioplasty so I don't have a soft spot behind my ear. I guess there are some things I need to brush up on concerning the after effects of cranioplasty. I've been meaning to check the threads on the forum about this.

I wish I didn't have to travel so far so that my kids could be with me, but at the same time, I would travel the world for the best possible treatment for myself. I guess that's all that matters to me. My phone consulations have been free and Brackmann seems to be a very experienced, down to earth kind-of-guy from what I've read on other posts and what others have told me. I know he's older (70), and I'm counting on his experience (3,000 translabs) to pull me through with flying colors in whatever he encounters while inside my head. I have to admit that I do worry a little about him being shaky because of his age :) He's said to have another 10 years under his belt before being reevaluated so I'm trusting he'll know when to stop if that's the case. Right now his experience wins over any doubt I have.

Thank you all so much for your responses to my inquiries regarding potential surgeons! I couldn't have made my decision without those of you who have been kind enough to give your sfeedback and share your concern. I've met some wonderful people on this forum so far and am looking forward to meeting more of you. I'm always open to support and feedback!!!! THANKYOU~

For the time being, I'm putting this thing on the shelf and daydreaming about my son's wedding in Runaway Bay, Jamaica on 1/5/08. I'm so glad I can wait until after the wedding for my surgery. Who knows, maybe I'll get kidnapped while on the big island of "Ja" or I'll shipwreck somewhere off the island and forget who I am and not have to come back home to the reality of having my head cracked open~ Oh well, I REALLY am glad to find out sooner than later about this monster inside my head. It could be worse. I'll sure be glad to be rid of it!

Be well and keep warm this holiday season,
~Firewalker
2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Yeah! Translab scheduled
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:10:06 am »
Firewalker -

I'm glad to hear that you've made a decision on where and when to have your surgery.  It's always tough to get to this point.  I'm confident your surgery will go well and wish you the best.

Have a great time at the wedding,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:05:37 am »
Good luck to you.  I'm glad you were able to find someone you are comfortable with.  I'm sure you will do very well.

And have a BLAST in Jamaica!  I got married there too and was hoping for something to happen to "force" me to stay.. but.. reality calls every so often.  Congratulations to your son.  Enjoy the sand between your toes and have a great big rum punch for me - when I had them there they just sorta waved the punch over the top of the rum.  Yum. 

ENJOY!  Look forward to hearing from you after the festivities.
Take care!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 04:30:25 pm »
Firewalker,
You certainly have made a wise decision going to House--you are in very capable hands and the nurses and staff there will treat you like gold. Seton is great and the mashed potaotes at the cafeteria go down really smooth post-op! I oughtta know, I ate a couple pounds a day!
Jamaica is cool, I sailed past it a bunch of times but never stopped. I lived in the Caribbean half of my life and danced the skin off the bottoms of my feet to lots of reggae, so start toughening up those tootsies now! Rub some salt into 'em or something.
Have a great holiday and a blast at the wedding and stay in touch and if you want to know anything about House, feel free to message me! We'll set up a phone call if you'd like.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

firewalker

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 11:27:34 am »
Thank you wonderful new friends!

Jan-you know how much I appreciate you directing me to this forum and giving me support group info! I also wanted to get back with you to let you know that I was scheduled to see Dr Wiet of Chicago Ear Institute for a consult, thinking I needed one more opinion but ended up canceling it because I was so set on Brackmann. It was great to know that I had options closer to home~

Lori-how fun for you to married on the big island of "Ja"! Where in Jamaica and when? We'll be on the northern coast between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. Thanks for your support and I will be looking for that out once there  8)

Captain Deb-so that's where the captain came from! I figured there was story behind your name. I love mashed potatoes with just about any meal and thanks for the barefoot advice. I'm a barefoot girl raised in southern CA but have softened up since being in the cold state of WI. I've actually lived longer in the cold, so relaxing on the beach in Jan for me will really be heaven. I'd love to learn about your caribbean adventures and send you a personal note soon. Thanks for hooking up with my thread!

~Firewalker
2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 07:55:36 pm »
hello!
I just had surgery at House 3 weeks ago with Dr Brackmann, mine was 2.8 cm via translab.  You are in good hands and even if he is 70, trust me, he does not act his age  :D  Let me know if you need any information on the hospital, ICU, seton etc.  Good luck!!

chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan