Author Topic: Exercise Ball for Balance Training  (Read 6698 times)

Catflower

Exercise Ball for Balance Training
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:36:36 pm »
I have a friend who also had balance issues following brain surgery (not an AN though).  He said the best thing he did for his balance was to buy an exercise ball and sit on it while he watched TV, sat at his desk or anything else that required sitting in one place. 

I'm going to get one and give it a try.

Linda in WV

jerseygirl

Re: Exercise Ball for Balance Training
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:03:08 pm »
I thought about it but the exercise ball is so huge, where do you store it?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Static

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:33:26 pm »
My dogs would think it was for them and try to pop it!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:28:43 am »
I think I will have to explain to my youngest one that the exercise ball is not for soccer but  I am decided to get one no matter how it looks. Which one does everybody recommend? I found so many on the Net. I would appreciate any info from the users of the ball.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

aardvark

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:10:20 am »
Hi Eve -

The size you choose depends upon your height.  I think the rule of thumb is that your thighs should be parallel to the floor, though it's okay to have your hips higher than your knees, just not lower.  If you Google "balance ball sizes" you'll find lots of info.

Physical therapists would have them, or you might be able to try a variety of sizes at a gym, a sporting goods store, or a place that sells fitness equipment. 

Adrienne
1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:04:05 am »
I got one prior to surgery and started getting used to it ... I put it away right after surgery
after I almost flipped over backward... got it back out at 3 months... it forces you to
compensate for missing balance using muscles... when you first start using it make sure
nothing like a coffee table is behind you that you could hit if you do topple...

I got mine at Walmart ... they had three different sizes to choose from and heavy and light
duty weights...priced from $16 -$30
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

lori67

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 10:25:34 am »
The exercise balls work great.  I am a PT and used to use them for all kinds of patients with balance issues - back when I didn't know I'd be one of them.  They are pretty big though, so if you have limited space it might be a problem - unless you get one that compliments your decor.  I just stick mine in the closet when i'm not using it.  I got mine at Target.  They are available all over now - sporting goods stores, Sam's club.  If you have a PT get you one, it will probably cost you 10x as much (kinda like the government spending $500 for a pencil).  Mine came with a little hand pump, so if necessary, I can deflate it and it's much easier to put away.

Static, you're right about the dogs!  Mine thinks she's died and gone to doggie heaven when she sees it.  Fortunately, it's too big for her to get her mouth around!  I usually put her out in the yard when i use it or she thinks it's playtime.  Wait, she's a golden retriever - she always thinks it's playtime.

Good suggestion to make sure you have something soft to land on - just in case!   :o
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:30:33 am »
Hi,

Thank you everybody who responded regarding their experience with an exercise ball. I used one with PT (part of vestibular retraining) but she used a huge one (blue). It really helps to know which brand works because I googled - and got so many answers and prices! I don't know which one is good.

Eve

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 08:51:09 pm »
the exercise ball works great. I also got a blaance board at a sporting goods store for about $12. it's a round plastic board around a ball. The ball sits on the floor thus holding the part you stand on up about 3" off the ground. So when you stand on the board you are kind of rolling around trying to balance. it really works great to retrain the brain how to balance

patti Ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

jerseygirl

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 09:57:34 pm »
Patti,

Fabulous! I am visiting the sporting goods store tomorrow!!! I really can't afford the $100+ balance board that my PT has used. Any other gadgets I should be on the lookout for? Anybody tried simulating the balance beam?

Eve

lori67

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:01 am »
Eve, I wouldn't spend that much on it either.  As long as it's round and doesn't pop when you sit on it, it'll work.  Trust me - I worked in a non-profit trauma center and we had to buy most of our own supplies and be McGyver half the time because the hospital "didn't have the money in the budget" - the $12 model will work just as well.

I haven't tried the balance beam, but that will work too - the closest thing I've done is walk along the curb with my daughter and try not to fall off.  Another good exercise for balance is side stepping and also crossing one foot in front of the other while cross stepping (walking sideways).  Yoga is always good for balance too.

There is a lot of stuff you can do without it costing you anything - and you can do them at home.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 11:31:12 am »
Lori,

Thanks for your advice regarding the ball; I just do not want to end up on the floor in a second! Do you know good exercises for mild hemiparesis? I walk with a mild limp, or so callled "steppage gait". I have a weakness on the right side and when I walk on even small heels, the front of the foot hurts. I do strengthening of all major muscle groups and have no problems (gross motro) but I was unable to find anything on the foot and ankle on the internet except for prosthesis. I devised my own exercise with a band and it is helping.

Actually, I should say that I have a "permanent" weakness on the right side which before surgery #2 went away with exercise and came back whenever I did not exercise. Yes, it is improving and I look forward to whatever it was before surgery #2 but I am an impatient lot and don't want to just wait. Any info would be appreciated.

Eve

lori67

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 11:53:21 am »
Hi Eve!  If you wind up falling off the ball and onto the floor - use that as an opportunity to take a nap!

I will look though some of my PT books for some good exercises and send them to you.  I worked mostly with head injury patients and pediatrics, so I don't know all of them off the top of my head, but I've got it written down.  I'd be happy to look for them as soon as Monster Baby takes a nap!

Lori

jerseygirl

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 03:08:22 pm »
Thank you so much, Lori! Just to let everyone know: I just returned from the sporting goods store and got balance board, hand grip to increase finger strength and a small weighted ball that is also supposed to increase the grip strength. I will order the exercise ball on-line because it is twice as cheap. Hope it helps!

Eve