Author Topic: AN docs in Virginia  (Read 6755 times)

mbnolde

AN docs in Virginia
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:42:24 am »
I am already on the Watch and Wait forum...but thought I would start a new thread.  I am looking for AN teams/docs in Virginia.  I want to get a 2nd opinion re: the watch and wait recommendation made to me this week. 

Has anyone heard of Dr. Singh Sahni in Richmond?  Any recommendations re: U.VA. MEdical Center?  Others?

As you can see, I am in the information gathering mode right now....it helps me deal with this new situation.

THanks,

MB

Pat

Re: AN docs in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 05:37:46 am »
I am told Ladislau Steiner @ UVA is one of the best of the best, I too am "watch and wait".
I`ve seen Dr Sahni `s name in the "Physician" posts.
AN diagnosis 6 20 2007
2cm..... left side S.S.D.
"Wait / watch" right now
L.Fredrick Lassen , M.D., F.A.C.S.
Suffolk, Va.

"Attitude......the difference between an ordeal or adventure"

jemcmac

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 10:33:30 am »
I live in Northern Virginia and I would recommend Dr. Jeff Jacobson and Dr. Edward Aulisi.  Just great neurosurgeons.
Good Luck.

lorismom

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 01:39:01 pm »
My 29 yr. old daughter has had two surgeries and Gamma  Knife done by Dr. Sahni and Dr. Sheia. Both are wonderful, wonderful men! I can't imagine, now, going to anyone else. Dr. Sahni's skill, bedside manner and caring, we feel, were sent from heaven. My daughter's tumor was 3.5cm. It's now very small and we're hoping that it dies off.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 03:27:06 pm »
I was treated by Dr. Steiner in 2003...he performed my Gamma Knife procedure.  UVA is in a partnership with Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News Virginia.  They too have a new Gamma Knife machine.  UVA is providing training and is helping with plotting treatment solutions.  I'd suggest that you make an appointment and see Dr. Steiner. 

Here is UVA's link:

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/neurosurgery/gamma-knife-new.cfm

Here is Riverside's link:

http://www.riverside-online.com/rrmc/radiosurgery_center/

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

mbnolde

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 01:04:13 pm »
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!  Having understanding people who can offer great advice is so wonderful, since I know NO ONE else going through this...and while others can be kind and sympathetic....they do not really understand.....do they? 

Thanks again!!   ;D ;D

MB

jason1

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 06:39:44 pm »
I also had Dr. Sahni (chief of neurosurgery at CJW hospitals) and Dr Shaia (neurotologist) for my translab surgery in February of 2007.  I was 32 at the time. Hard to believe it has been 1 year already!  I felt very comfortable in Dr. Sahni's hands.  He is somewhat unique in that he performs both surgeries and gamma knife procedures so there is no bias on his part as to whcih way you decide to go.

I have been very satisfied with the outcome thus far. No complications from the surgery and the scar healed up great.

Please let me know if you have any questions I can help answer, I know its overwhelming.

Jason
2 cm AN found Dec 2006; hearing loss with tinnitus for 12 years and balance issues prompted MRI; translab surgery Feb 2007 with Dr. Sahni and Dr. Shaia in Richmond, VA.; July 2009 CSF leak developed (clear liquid through nose) requiring repeat surgery to repair

vig59

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 08:36:08 pm »
I too have just recently been diagnosed by Dr. Shaia and now have a appointment with Dr. Salvant who is in the same practice as Dr. Sahni, has anyone had any experience with Dr. Salvant?  I have no idea what to do and am very scared.  I am leaning more towards watch and wait but the surgery is definately on my mind and very scared.  Is there anyone in the Virginia area who recently had the surgery and how it was and the post surgery.  I accidently fell upon this site and absoutely love it.  The other posts have helped me a great deal.  Thanks to all!

Rick Everingham

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 03:29:48 pm »
My trans-lab was done by Dr. Simanis and Dr. Wayne Shia at the McGuire VA hospital in Richmond.  Dr. Sismanis is the chairman of the department of otolarynology at MCV.  I was very pleased with both.

http://www.vcu.edu/ent/ent_faculty_sismanis.htm
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

chopper

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 10:11:53 am »
I was treated by Dr. Steiner in 2003...he performed my Gamma Knife procedure.  UVA is in a partnership with Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News Virginia.  They too have a new Gamma Knife machine.  UVA is providing training and is helping with plotting treatment solutions.  I'd suggest that you make an appointment and see Dr. Steiner. 

Here is UVA's link:
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/neurosurgery/gamma-knife-new.cfm

Here is Riverside's link:
http://www.riverside-online.com/rrmc/radiosurgery_center/

Gary

As I was doing research I talked with Doc Steiner regarding radiation options.  Very frank, to the point guy and wasn't afraid to turn me away from the procedure due to my age (29 at the time) and explained exactly why.  I'll always respect the guy for that,  respect for the person vs. $
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

vig59

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 07:40:59 am »
my AN is 7mm and I feel like my drs are pushing towards surgery and I don't know what to do.  Watch and wait or surgery.  I don't want to do the GK as I feel 10 years down the road it could grow back and still would have to have surgery.  Wish someone could tell me what to do  or that it was over and done with. 

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 04:12:26 pm »
Vig59,

There are many point of view out there...age - vs - treatment, radiation - vs - surgery, everything - vs - watch and wait. 

At the beginning of this journey confusion is very common.  We grew up going to the doctors when something was wrong with us.  They told us what to do, and we got better.

Now with AN's things are a bit different.  Surgeons normally do not recommend radiation and will fill your head with horror stories...Radio surgeons are just as bad, they'll tell you all of the surgery horror stories leaving the AN patient more confused than when they went in.

Please believe me when I tell you this...knowledge is power.  Unless you are suffering severe symptoms right now you DO NOT have to do anything.  AN's are slow growing, and this gives us time to understand our enemy and figure out how to kick its butt.   8)

Research...research...research...is the key.  At the end of this you'll feel like you have a minor in medicine.  But, when you go to the doctor you will be informed, be able to ask intelligent questions, and express your concerns.  Personally I have had better relations with my docs when they figure out I'm not a scared patient that they feel they need to "protect."

When you have researched the treatment options, weigh them all out, talk with family, friends, spouse/significant other...and make YOUR choice.  Trust me, that truly is half the battle.

You'll be fine; you'll make it through this, a stronger and more confident person.  You have this cyber family that will be here for you...me included. 

Gary

Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!