Author Topic: Legal question,need your input.  (Read 18624 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Legal question,need your input.
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2007, 06:19:38 pm »
Sam,

Thanks for the explanation of doctors, lawyers, suing, etc.  I agree with what you said regarding high cost of insurance due to this, as the same can be said of home owners insurance and natural disasters.  But what about being diagnosed early on so patient doesn't lose hearing?  That's why I started the survey of people who present with "balance issues" first before their hearing comes in to play.  I would like to present this to doctors to educate them so Joe Normal doesn't suffer needlessly. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2007, 06:21:26 pm »
Oh yeah forgot,

Hey!  Phyl no grabbing the popcorn and running.  Ever hear of sharing?  NOW PASS THE POPCORN!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Sam Rush

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2007, 07:04:54 pm »
Karen (Arushi)  Good point!!.  I'm wondering how many cases of AN I must have missed in my 38 yr career, by not thinking about it. Mine, was the first case I ever saw. A pt. w/ balance, hearing, tinnitus problems, I would never have thought of AN. Now, I order lots of MRI's w/ any suggestion of AN sx. So, experience and education is the key to earlier diagnosis.  I personally was extremely lucky, in that the ENT I went to for my lack of hearing had done a fellowship w/ Dr. Brackman at HEI, so AN was the first thing he thought of. I thought he was nuts!!, Told him to just clean out the earwax, and I'd go home. He said There was no earwax, MRI next day = AN.  My excellent internist, thought that my balance prob. and hearing was from some blood pressure meds I was taking, and I agreed w/ him for one year. He feels terrible now, but I told him it's not his fault we don't usually think of rare things.

Anyway the ANA is dedicated to education which should help make diagnosis easier in some people. 

1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2007, 07:18:53 pm »
oy....

*shakes head slowly side to side*

oy...

*passes fresh-popped buttered popcorn down the sofa to the next in line*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2007, 09:09:30 pm »
Better crack open another bottle of tequila to wash down that popcorn...
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

TP

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2007, 09:29:31 pm »
I've read thru the posts and this has been a very interesting subject. I may not agree with everyone but I appreciate everyones opinion. We normally base our opinions on our own situations or life experiences and many of us are very passionate with our beliefs - which is a good thing!

Satman, I think the fact that you had an 8CM AN should be used to be a positive situation. You went thru such an ordeal and you are alive!! What a testimony you have to share with others. Hope you and your family have a blessed holiday and a joyous New Year! 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2007, 09:43:37 am »
Satman, please allow me to state the following... as we are trying to make sure that all stays on track and you obtain the respectful info you need to help you with your question.

With full support of the ANA, as discussed with them directly, please note that we will no longer tolerate the name calling, bullying, degrading comments (also noted in private emails to us).  This is a health-related website.  We understand the nature of the beast (discussion forums on the internet) and will no longer tolerate "herd" mentality, backstabbing, etc.  Additional steps will be taken if lack of respect is demonstrated and the ANA is in full support of these possible necessary actions.  We are adults... let's act like adults.  This thread is an important thread and of vital interest to many that have been misdiagnosed when it came to their AN diagnosis. We understand this thread will be stir emotions in us all.   Please be respectful, please be supportive, this is why we are here.  Any form of disrespect shown between forumites will be noted and proper actions taken.

Satman, I am sorry this had to be posted in your thread.  Your situation warrents this kind of discussion and hoping many will continue to shed light to help you with this.... please hang in there.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2007, 09:48:32 am »
I'll share my tequila with Satman.  i think he deserves it!  Bottoms up!   :)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.