Author Topic: facial swelling and numbiness  (Read 2360 times)

joycebaskin

facial swelling and numbiness
« on: November 20, 2007, 05:30:22 pm »
I had surgey aug 27.  i  have fACIAL SWELLING and numbiness on my left side. can any one tell me if they have this and about how long it takes for the swellingg to go away.  

OTO

Re: facial swelling and numbiness
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:51:33 pm »
nanansjoy,

I'm 6-mos post op, and when I first came out of the hospital my face was numb on the left side.  I could blink my eye and other than a sore tongue, jaw and teeth, my face wasn't swollen.   My face has gotten better, and now unless I'm really tired (or have been talking a lot), I don't notice any difference.   Probably the only thing that still bothers me, is that when I eat, my left eye tears (I get tear drops rolling down my cheek).  My opthamologist said it is nerve fibers regenerating (I forget the actual words he used).   Although its inconvenient, he said the more tears the better (helps your eyes....)

It all depends on how much damage (i.e., stress or pressure) was put on the facial nerve during surgery.   My doctor told me there was no permanent damage to my facial nerve (he said I was a 2 on the House-Brackman scale of 5).    He said it would be better in "months"   

Some folks recover within weeks, some folks have different problems or issues for years.   Have you been doing the exercises that they suggested?  These things take time.    Be patient, and keep getting better.   OTO