Author Topic: Transear  (Read 3576 times)

Bill Z.

Transear
« on: November 20, 2007, 05:46:23 am »
Hi!  I had Accustic Neuroma surgery via House Ear Clinic a little over 5 years ago and have learned to adapt to single sided hearing pretty well.  I chose not to do the BAHA implant at that time.  I am seriously looking at the Transear product and it appears that there are more positive experiences with it than negative from the forums that I have looked at.  Has there been a study comparing the BAHA performance & pros and cons with the Transear or other devices?  I saw that in one forum ther is a product called the Destiny CIC trans-cranial model by Starkey that was recommended but I couldn't find much about it.  Does anyone know any more about it and the success for total hearing loss in one ear as compared to the transear and BAHA? 
I am outside quite a bit and love to hike, hunt and fish.  I was wondering if any of these devices would hold up to extreme weather conditions like rain & snow or very cold temps.  Finally, an audiologist that I talked to today said that the transear would be about $4,000.  I saw on one forum that the cost was $2,400 in January of this year.  What is the going price for the Transear product?

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Transear
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 10:42:20 am »
Did someone say fish?  ;)

I have the BAHA .. and dont wear it while fishing or working in the yard etc... its kinda like my 3,000$ good pair of shoes  ;)   and I would think you would leave most hearing aids at home when there is a chance of going for a un-expected swim  :o
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:44:07 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 03:50:20 pm »
$4,000 sounds high.  Closer to $3,000. for TransEar.

Some air conduction aids might work for SSD if they are Cros aids, but the bells and whistles will cost you.

TransEar is a bone conduction aid.

I've not had trouble in wind with my TransEar, but I wouldn't want the processor (BTE) unit to get wet in rain.  So like Joef with the BAHA, I don't use mine outdoors for weather activity or strenuous stuff.

Bill Z.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 09:34:06 am »
The $4000 quoted is all inclusive and includes any adjustments, tests, etc.  Does that still sound high?  Do you have any idea how much the actual Transear unit costs?

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:38:56 pm »
Hi Bill,

I think the cost of the TransEar is determined by the audiologist you go to.  I checked with two audiologists.  Both of them had never heard of it, but were willing to work with me.  One was nicer about it than the other so that was the one I chose.  Luckily that was the less expensive one too.  The cost was $2400.  That included all charges.  The other one was going to charge closer to $2900.  Like anything, it pays to shop around.

I do not wear my TransEar when I'm going to be around a lot of water or running.  Batteries and water don't mix well.  Not to  mention the other tiny electrical parts.  I've had mine for nearly 9 months now and it just seems to be getting better and better at helping me get sound from my deaf side. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Richey

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:39:47 pm »
Bill, I tried transear and a bicross aid around the same time. I chose the bicross, but the audiologist was going to charge $2100 for the transear and it was the first one that he had ordered. Could be that I would have benefited from someone with more experience with the transear but your guy sounds like he is just too expensive, I would shop around. It was just over a year ago that I tried transear, have been wearing my bicross ever since. It's a big help but has the obvious drawbacks of having hearing aids in both ears. It's wireless and does get a little radio interference in some places. Good luck in you search

jvastola

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 08:47:13 pm »
$3300 here in California.  That included all follow up etc.  4K does seem high.  You can read my experience a few topics down on this list. I feel that using an experienced Aud helped me.
Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
2.2cm x 2.4cm x1.9cm Left side
CK December 4-6 2006
6 month MRI showed no cell death
12month MRI Tumor size 1.9x1.9x1.6
14 months my hearing stars to return!!

Bill Z.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 04:27:37 pm »
Thanks to all for your input and information.  I am in a bit of a dillema as the Audiologist that I spoke of is a friend and he is the one that told me about Transear - yet it seems that his pricing is somewhat high.  I don't want to offend him, but I don't want to overpay for the Transear either.   :-)

Cynaburst

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 10:44:26 pm »
I paid around $2500 my Transear here in Los Angeles including fittings and adjustments and follow up.