Author Topic: For those with a BAHA...  (Read 3151 times)

jenifyer

For those with a BAHA...
« on: October 29, 2005, 10:46:22 am »
I was just wondering what your thoughts on your BAHA are?  I got my sound processor about 1 1/2 weeks ago and i am not sure what i think.  the difference it seems to me is very subtle.  Maybe i dont have it up loud enough....

i would love to hear any thoughts from those of you that have a BAHA.

Thanks,
jennifer

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: For those with a BAHA...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 11:56:49 am »

I get mine in a few weeks (Nov 16) ... you can ask at a BAHA users forum at http://www.patients-baha.com/cgi-bin/forum/2bb.cgi

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Dave_S121

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 07:46:19 am »
I think a lot depends on what hearing you had prior to your AN surgery.  From what I have read in other posts, the longer a peson has been single sided deaf the greater the difference they initially notice when being fitted with a BAHA.  I had my surgery, translab, 1 year ago and was fitted with the fixture at that time.  I received my hearing processor in mid-March, about 6 months after the surgery.  I noticed some differnce at the time.  7 months later I really notice the differnce.  I can easlily tell when I have forgot to turned on my processor.  I turn it off when on the telephone because the background noise can become distracting.  I don't regret receiving the BAHA and can say it has improved my ability to hear and localize sounds. 
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:44:51 pm »

I got my sound processor on 10/21,  10 days ago, and so far I am a little disappointed. I think the advertising is a little misleading, you don't really "hear the other side", and the musician in the ads overstates the case that you can really hear and appreciate music better.  I don't regret doing it , because of the one advantage I get, hearing normal conversation on my dead side, without twisting my head.  However the hearing on my good side is excellent, so this was truly a luxury, not a necessity. 
I'm hopeful that ossification of the abutement will continue, and the device will funtion better over time.

Four days after I got it, I had to demonstrate it to the members of our ANA support group, none of whom have seen one. They sensed my lack of enthusism, and I promised to discuss it further with them in 3-4 months.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

jenifyer

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 05:03:12 pm »
Thanks for your input so far.  I went to a party last saturday night and i did notice it wasn't such a struggle for me to hear and have conversations.  I have an appointment with my doctor and the audiologist tomorrow so we'll see what they have to say.  I agree that this is indeed a luxury and not a necessity though...especially if you have excellent hearing in your one good ear.

jennifer

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 05:41:01 pm »
I get my processor in less than a month. For me I don't consider it a luxury. Being able to "hear" my kids while driving in the car and share those intimate conversations is a necessity. I look forward to being closer to normal again.

I'll write again after I get my processor.......:)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

rockymtngirl

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 05:05:24 pm »
I have had my processor since May. I am very happy with it. I find the diferrences between not wearing it and wearing it amazing. I still find it hard to hear on that side in a very noisy enviroment. I will say that I do notice at least that someone has said something to me. I may not have heard them at all before, so I find that a big plus.
 I am currently waiting for the upgrade to the Devino. When I tried it out in the Dr.s office the difference was amazing. The way I would describe the difference is just like talking on a cell phone and have it switch between an analog call and a didgital call. The sound quality was that much better. I'm not sure how much longer it will be before I get it as it has been on back order for a two months. When I do get it I will post my comparison of the two models.

jenifyer

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 06:37:51 pm »
I have the BAHA Divino.  There are 2 settings on it, one for face to face conversation and one for 'surround sound' .  I am getting more and more used to it now.  i definitely notice a difference when i don't have it on.

jennifer