Author Topic: Hearing Loss  (Read 2298 times)

Patch

Hearing Loss
« on: January 11, 2008, 09:51:33 am »
           This month is my 6 month of post radiation. Last night I had some ringing and noticed alittle difference in hearing and this morning, I noticed a difference in hearing. has anyone experienced the same or can explain what to do, will it go away.

Thank You

mark
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

jb

• My MRI sequence:
Re: Hearing Loss
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:54:05 pm »
Hi Mark,
You might have some swelling with your AN that's affected your hearing.  You may want to check with your doctor - sometimes they give steroids for it.  My hearing got worse after radiation and I've taken prednisone, but my hearing hasn't recovered back to 'normal'.  I had all kinds of weird ringing and chirping noises too.  At least that's back to just a constant buzz now.  Good luck -- I hope it works out for you.
jb

2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:41 am »
Mark,

JB gave some good advice about the steroids….be advised that prednisone does have some funky side effects…so don’t forget to talk to the doc about this.  There is another version available if the original makes you a bit “squirrelly.â€?   :o

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Patch

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:22:42 am »
THANKS JB AND GM FOR YOUR HELP, DR. PUT ME ON SUDEFED TO TRY. WE WILL SEE IF IT WORKS.

MARK
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

Pablo

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 04:44:58 pm »
Since my radiation treatment I have those episodes every a few months, sometimes hearing recovers by itself, a couple of times I needed prednisone which didn't quite recover all the lost hearing. There is a short term and also long term efect of ratiation. The short term (which is swelling of tumor) is typically hanlded by taking some antiflammatory. The long term is in lot of cases a gradual drop in hearing and this is something that can't be avoided. What's important is that once you detect such an episode and if it doesn't resolve within a few days, you need to go to your doctor before damage is permanent.
2.5 cm x 3.0 cm  right side
FSR  7/2006
Cabrini Medical Center, NYC