Author Topic: "Ice Pick" migraines  (Read 6746 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
"Ice Pick" migraines
« on: November 13, 2007, 01:09:10 pm »
Hi all,

have any of you been diagnosed with "ice pick" migraines?  If so, what kind of symptoms did you have and how did your dr treat them?

thanks.
Phyl

(You can Google "ice pick migraines" for info)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

Re: "Ice Pick" migraines
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:09:16 pm »
Hi Phyl,
I responded to this in another topic somewhere else! 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »
I was given the name hemicrania continua which ice pick headache is one of the characteristics. It is classified as an Indomethacin responsive headache meaning that if Indomethacin works then that is what you have. If it doesn't work, then maybe you have another type such as cluster headaches or trigeminal neuralgia.

Thank you so much for bringing this type of headache to peoples attention. We use the word headache often on this site but it can mean different things to different people. Migraines and icepick headaches are very different even though one can trigger the other. This can be important because the treatment is very different.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:41:34 pm »
thanks Karen and Janet! I just hung up wiht my primary care as well and brought this to her attention... will research further.  I am curious as my trigeminal took a slight hit of radiation at the time of treatment but have had no real facial symptoms.  I do have (on occassion) facial numbness and nasal congestion, but if you saw my nose up close and personal, you would understand why on the latter :D.   I really appreciate the inputs on this... and thank you both!

Phyl
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:51:10 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:51:53 pm »
Thank you all, for clearing this up.  It seem we collectively know more than some doctors.  Gotta love it! 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:00:50 pm »
Thank you all, for clearing this up.  It seem we collectively know more than some doctors.  Gotta love it! 

Anne Marie

touche! :)

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:27:45 pm »
Hi Phyl,
Thanks for the pointer from the 'AN pain' thread.  I googled "ice pick migraine" and found the description on about.com.  Sounds very similar to my pains, being intense but brief and all, but mine only come from inside my AN ear or just behind it.  Never had them anywhere else.  I was having them frequently about a year and a half ago.  I just took ibuprofen then which might have helped a little.  They gradually stopped after a few weeks.  Now they've been back a couple of times since I had CK 3 months ago, but not as frequent or quite as intense as before.  Not having them at all currently (knock on wood).  I'm hoping that things are beginning to calm down in there.

Sorry I can't be more help.  I hope you can get some relief after educating your doc!
Jay
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:46:57 am »
For what it's worth everyone, I did search of "icepick migraines" and came up with this:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/488345

block/copy and Google to read this info, I found it interesting and possibly could be an answer?
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear