Author Topic: Came home!  (Read 2817 times)

Raven

Came home!
« on: November 12, 2007, 11:19:22 am »
Hi everyone,

I had surgery (middle fossa) on Wednesday and came home yesterday, Sunday. Surgery took 12 hrs. with complete removal of the tumor on the left side. According to the monitors my facial nerve was not damaged and the very little bit of remaining hearing nerve was saved, although I can't hear a thing in the left ear no more. If it was saved, cochlear implant here we come. I was able to smile and blink my left eye in recovery, but the the next day the left side must have got swollen, my eye does blink but very slowly. My Dr. said this should all clear up in about three weeks. I got sick once in recovery and two times in ICU, I was there like a day and a half and then a regular room the rest of the time. Once I got to the regular room, I was eating full meals and walking around the halls with out holding on. I sat on a chair most of the time rather then laying in bed, I think it really helped me from be more woozy then I am. Since I've been home I'm able to get up and down the steps, holing on to the rail of course. I'm still very tired and woozy, I'm sure that gets better with time.

I would like to thank everyone who kept me in their thoughts and prayers. I especially want to thank a young lady of this board who rarely posts, but thru quite a few emails she gave me a ton a info and guidence. The best part was when she came to visit me in the hospital.............she knows who she is!!

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

Jeff

Re: Came home!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:05:10 pm »
Hey John,

Congratulations! I am especially glad to hear that your hearing and facial nerves were saved. I will pray that your facial and hearing function returns to preop levels. And, as many know, surgery is a grueling event. You deserve accolades for getting through this. It's great to be home and on the "other side" of surgery isn't it?
Best wishes to you,
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »
John,
  Congratulations on being post-treatment, and being home.   Hopefully your tramatized facial nerve will treat you better in a month or so.  This isn't an unusual post surgery issue, and it usually clears up with some time.  It took about 6 weeks for my blink functions to recover.
  It sounds like you're doing well.  Enjoy the naps for now, and try not to over do it.
Regards,
 Rob
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 12:47:49 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:44:42 pm »
John!  you Postie!!!  YAY!   ;D  I have to commend you (and others like you) that come home and right away, log onto this site to give us all an immediate update on your wellness.  it really does speak volumes on how much this website truly is there for everyone, during all stages of the AN journey and how everyone is thought about out here!  Thank you for logging on so soon after getting home..... and please ... get some rest, take it easy, listen to your body when it speaks and most of all.... wishes to you for continued wellness.

Congrats! Welcome home!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 03:30:57 pm »
Welcome Home!

Sounds like you are smiling on both sides of your face. :)

Some prayers are answered.

Go slow, rest and take the time you need. Welcome postie!

Keep moving forward!

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:28:02 am »
Congratulations!

Rest often and well, and I wish you a continued smooth recovery!

All the best,
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 04:27:55 pm »
Hi, John:

Congratulations on your successful surgery and 'postie'' status. 

It sounds as if your recovery is progressing very well.  That is so encouraging to read.  Don't push it too hard and yes, as you expect, everything does get better with time.  You'll see.   :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:11:56 pm »
John -

glad to hear that you are home.  From the info in your post it sounds like you're well on the road to recovery.

Glad your now a fellow "postie",

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

beancounter

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:23:26 pm »
Hey John...  I'm in watch and wait at the moment but I am so very glad to hear of your good experience with surgery and I think that all of us here who believe in corporate prayer are seeing the answers we pray for.  I think it's important to say that I, personally, have not prayed for there to be no tumor but for the strength to get through the emotional, physical and practical problems that present once the MRI confirms "a boo-boo" up there.  Take care of yourself, and God bless.
Newly diagnosed 3x2 mm .... waiting to see what my options are

Dealy

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:52:10 am »
John-So great to hear that your surgery came out. I have been wondering about you. I must confess that I have not been on this site lately-so forgive me for missing your post until now. Question- Are you considering a Cochelar Implant already-and if so what do the Doctor;s say?
Great News. Take Care. P>S> What has happened to your Ravens- they are falling apart. Sorry for the reminder. Have a Good day- Ron

Raven

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 08:04:41 am »
Thanks everybody, especially Jeff and Ron...........you guys know why.

I didn't mention this in my original post. Two days befor surgery I woke up and my hearing in my right side had gone down enough to call the Dr. His plan was to keep me in the hospital after the left side surgery and depending on my recovery do surgery on the right side exactly one week later, but I recovered real good and they sent me home. What has happened three times I've gone off Prednisone my right side hearing has gone down, so he was going to do a middle fossa approach without touching the tumor, it would be to open up the bony canal to reduce the swelling. No where near as intense as removal of the tumor, they will not touch any nerves. May happen in a week or two.

Ron.......my Dr. is a huge advacote of cochlear implants, the evening before I came home he said I could get one anytime at this point. Since I'm bilateral, it was his recommendation to do the middle fossa approach to save that little bit on the left side so a cochlear implant could be done.There is still alot ahead of me, but if the cochlear implant pans out and the upcoming surgery on the right works, I can consider myself one lucky bilateral guy.................Oh, you are right about the Ravens really falling down this year, however I go to all the home games and I'm going this Sunday. The Ravens are a class organization, I was able to trade in all my my remaing tickets for handicapped seats, my wife says I can't go..........we will see, LOL

John
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:06:15 am by Raven »
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center