Author Topic: My Transear experience  (Read 4358 times)

jvastola

My Transear experience
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:56:00 am »
Hello all,

I have now had my Transear for about 10 days.  I felt I owed this group a review.

1) I picked an audiologist who has fit three or four Transears.  I called the Transear folk,s and asked them who had experience in my area.  I chose one that is about an hour drive away based on their experience.  I think this experience  was vital in the process.

2) My hearing test results were almost exactly like they were about 4 months ago, zero word recognition on the AN side, some residual hearing.  Basically, I can hear distorted sounds but don't understand any words.  Imagine an AM radio tuned between stations.

3) This particular audiologist sells both Baha and Transear although I brought up the Transear, she said it was the best choice for me.  She went over all of the other options, including stronger traditional aids, Baha, etc.  We agreed that Transear was the best option.

4) I ordered mine in black.  I am mostly bald, and in my experience with previous aids, the black at least looked like a fancy bluetooth headset.  It feels a bit more high tech vs old school flesh color.

5) About 2.5 weeks later it arrived.  Upon inserting, the improvement was instant. I could hear the audiologist speaking directly into my deaf side.  Previously, the "head shadow" would completely block the sound.  I was VERY excited.  I am still a bit emotional about the situation and this was the first positive emotion in a long time.

6) The first week was great.  I was not asking coworkers to repeat themselves at all.  I was in a very important meeting where a manager sat down on my AN side.  At first I shuttered, thinking I was going to have problems, I heard every word. The sound quality is still a bit AM radio like but at least the station is tuned now.

7) Unfortunately, by the end of the week my ear was very very sore.  I went back and had it sanded and was instructed to leave it out for a day or two to allow my ear canal to heal a bit.  I could not stand to not wear it at work Friday, so I wore it soreness and all. I have had it out all weekend and my ear feels fine.  I will use it again starting tomorrow morning at work.

In short, I am very happy with things so far, and feel like life can be very close to normal again thanks to the Transear.

Jim

Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
2.2cm x 2.4cm x1.9cm Left side
CK December 4-6 2006
6 month MRI showed no cell death
12month MRI Tumor size 1.9x1.9x1.6
14 months my hearing stars to return!!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: My Transear experience
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:58:55 pm »
What a great review!  I'm glad to hear you're having such success with your TransEar!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:25:57 pm »
This is such great news, Jim.  The sore might be healed by Monday. 

Jim, I'd like to add a thanks for telling about your partial hearing on the AN side with the TransEar.  I think you are the first to report here with TransEAr results that aren't accompanied by SSD.   
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 06:44:01 pm by Boppie »

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:28:25 pm »
Thanks for the great review.  I have a follow up hearing test next month to make sure my hearing is stabilized.  If it is I'm checking into a Transear immediately.

Linda in WV

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 08:01:38 pm »
Jim,

Quoting your witty writing above...

" I ordered mine in black.  I am mostly bald, and in my experience with previous aids, the black at least looked like a fancy bluetooth headset.  It feels a bit more high tech vs old school flesh color."
 ;D

That is just too funny LOL :D

I just love AN'ers who have a good sense of humor  :)

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

jvastola

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 08:07:30 pm »
Thanks, I think it's hysterical as well, but I am surprised how many people actually ask me, "What kind of bluetooth is that ?" If I didn't have a sense of humor I would embarrass a lot of people!

Jim

Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
CK December 4-6 2006

jvastola

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 08:50:15 pm »
Just a quick follow up.  After having the ear piece sanded and taking a two day rest things are much better.  I still need the otoease but it sure makes working and hearing with a head set on my good side much better.

Have a great Turkey day everyone.  One year follow up MRI on Friday.  'Ca mon cell death!!!!!!  Here's hoping!!!

Jim
Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
CK December 4-6 2006

marg

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:09:43 pm »
Jim,
     I have had my TransEar several weeks now...and I love it too.  It helps so much in my classroom - it mkes my job less stressful.    For me It really helps the most with louder voices in a classroom situation (if more than one person is speaking.........and that happens most of the time LOL ) .  I still have a hard time hearing my 2nd graders who have soft voices.....(but other people with '2 good ears' can't hear them either) - so  they are learning to speak up and that is a good thing.
Marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !