Author Topic: Physicians  (Read 5775 times)

Jackie

Physicians
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:53:28 pm »
Need information on two diffent Neurotologists, both practicing in California in the Kaiser system. Their names are Harold Korol in Northern Cal. and Roberto Cueva in Southern California. I am still researching my options and have been given these two doctors as tops in the AN field. Your help, is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Jackie from Beaverton, Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Jackie

Re: Physicians
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:14:59 am »
Geeze, no one has responded about either of these two Neurotologists yet!!! That is telling me that no-one so far has either had them or heard of them. Supposedly Roberto Cueva studied at House.

Jackie
Diagnosed 02/04/2007

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:33:43 am »
Hi Jackie,

I'm of know help as far as the 2 doctors you mentioned but considering you are in Oregon I thought I would tell you that Dr. Charles Mangham did my surgery in 1992.  He is at the Seattle Ear Clinic.  I had a Facial Neuroma Surgery after he found it wasn't an AN.  At the time he was considered the best AN doctor in the NW.  He was not a preferred doctor for my Insurance so he along with the hospital, his assistant, etc. waved the cost my Insurance wouldn't pay.  I got him over a doctor that had only been doing AN's for a year (never did a Facial Neuroma surgery) and he saved me thousands of dollars.  Good luck in your search! Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

maggie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:10:31 pm »
Roberto Cueva is one of the leaders in this field. He invented the device that measures nerve reaction during surgery, and does over 50 surgeries per year along with his partner Bill Mastrodimas, a neurosurgeon. He operated on me in September 2006 for a 6cm acoustic neuroma and I have made a complete recovery with no side effects to speak of. If you search further on this site, you will find from the archives that others have had a similar experience under his care. He is at Kaiser San Diego. In San Diego you might also seek out Jeffrey Harris of UC San Diego/Scripps Clinic. He is also a leader in this field and has also worked with Dr. Brackman.
6 cm  tumor, right side, removed on 9/24/2006.Translab surgery.
Drs. Roberto Cueva and Bil Mastrodimas, Kaiser San Diego

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 10:11:21 am »
Do you have to stay in the Kaiser system, or can you go to House??
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Jackie

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 11:15:25 am »
Roberto Cueva is one of the leaders in this field. He invented the device that measures nerve reaction during surgery, and does over 50 surgeries per year along with his partner Bill Mastrodimas, a neurosurgeon. He operated on me in September 2006 for a 6cm acoustic neuroma and I have made a complete recovery with no side effects to speak of. If you search further on this site, you will find from the archives that others have had a similar experience under his care. He is at Kaiser San Diego. In San Diego you might also seek out Jeffrey Harris of UC San Diego/Scripps Clinic. He is also a leader in this field and has also worked with Dr. Brackman.

Hello Maggie,

Thank-you so much for your information regarding Dr Cueva!!! I was truly beginning to worry, that no-one had heard of him let alone had any surgery by him! I am still on the watch and wait program as my AN is about 10x12. My ENT has reccommended that I be in contact with Dr Cueva, as he is in the Kaiser system, and they prefer to stay within the system, or with the facilities that they contract with. I will research futher, and again so very much appreciate your help! good for you that you had such positive results after a 6cm AN removsl! What type of surgery did you have and please tell me details if you don't mind sharing!
Jackie
Diagnosed 02/04/2007

Jackie

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:20:49 am »
Do you have to stay in the Kaiser system, or can you go to House??

Hello Sam,

For now I do have to stay within Kaisers' system or with the facilities that they contract with, and House is not one that they contract with, but Standford is! Right now I don't plan on doing anything other than Watch and Wait, but don't want to get caught unprepared, should my symptoms get worse, or the darn thing starts a growth spurt. I also have the option once a year in july to change insurance, however we have been for the most part satisfied with Kaiser.
Jackie
Diagnosed 02/04/2007

maggie

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »
Let me start off by saying that i also do not live in San Deigo but went to Dr. Cueva on the recommendation of an otoneurologist who is a personal friend. His recommendation was that he is as skilled or more so than others throughout the US.
My an was diagnosed late, accounting for its large size and long duration - they estimate 10 years. I had severe hearing loss but no other symptoms until the month before my surgery, when I developed a constant headache and intermittent dizziness.
I was diagnosed with a CT scan followed by an MRI with contrast within a week of going to a GP with my symptoms, and had surgery within a few weeks. I sought 3 other opinions and all otoneurologists and neurosurgeons agreed - a very large tumor with brainstem involvement that must be removed quickly. Due to large size and location, radiosurgery was no longer an option.
I had a right side translab and stayed in hospital for 3 days with no complications. For recovery, I followed an exercise regimen recommended by the team, and then took up tai chi with a personal trainer who tailored her training to my recovering abilites. i still do these routines daily.
My one year checkup revealed no new growth. I have no hearing on the right, some slight difficulty walking at night or on uneven ground, and  loss of sensation in about 15% of my tongue (but this is dimishing). Other symptoms I had after surgery - dry eye, dizziness, poor sleep, fatigue - have resolved over time. I have returned to work, drive at night, fly everywhere, etc.
Bottom line for me: It was hard but with support you can recover almost completely. Kaiser at this level is as excellent as any others in the field. The main change is, I now am very open about my hearing loss, telling people where I would like to be seated for better hearing, especially in restaurants. Given what might have happened, this is small change.
Every case is unique and you are wise to start early.
6 cm  tumor, right side, removed on 9/24/2006.Translab surgery.
Drs. Roberto Cueva and Bil Mastrodimas, Kaiser San Diego

whity4d

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 04:10:24 pm »
Hi,

We are also in the Kaiser system, My wife was recomended to Dr Cuervo and Mastrodemis in San Diego. We did alot of research and actually interviewed the doctors before choosing a doctor that we were confortable with. Sue's tumor was about 4 cm and mastic.
We interviewed Kaisers Dr.'s and 2 others Dr's Hitzelberger and Brackmann associated with the house clinic and Dr Wess King from UCLA Medical Center. Dr Hitzelberger and Brackmann have been doing this longer than just about anyone with over 6000 surgeries.
Dr Hitzelberger actually taught Dr Cuervo and while Kaiser was using him to do the surgeries. Since then they brought in Dr. Mastrodemis as the Neurologist to work with Dr Cuervo. From what I have been told they are both capable surgeons. We went with Dr.Hitzelberger and Brackmann for two reasons, one the experiance is second to none. you should read the write-ups on the two they are very impressive. Second they made my wife feel totally at ease with the surgery. That is no easy task as my wife tends to worry more than most people I know. Having confidence in the surgeons doing your surgery is half the mental  battle and having the best available is the second half. We had to pay the Dr fee to bring in Brackmann and Hitzelberger but it was worth evey penny. They did the surgery at the Sunset Facility. Just Another option to concider. Dont be afraid of the fee its much less than you might think. Good luck, Don't wait too long, the earlier you get it out the better off you will be.   

Dan and Sue