Author Topic: post-op hospital discharge expectations  (Read 4042 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

post-op hospital discharge expectations
« on: October 18, 2007, 08:05:09 pm »
Hi all,

I am noticing that there have been a few inquiries (posts) from newbie’s about what to expect after surgery… coming from people as far away as Britain and Australia. Ranging from meds, to CSF leaks to facial physical therapy etc..

Here is a good link I found on post-op  hospital discharge expectations put out by the Acoustic Neuroma Association of Canada

http://www.anac.ca/en/dischargeTreatment.shtml

Hope someone out there in our AN family finds this helpful.

Cheers,

I have posted this in 3 other locations on this site... in case you think you have read this before... you probably have.It is just a FYI
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Kath Gorman

Re: post-op hospital discharge expectations
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 11:46:35 am »
Hi there,

I just had my AN surgery with your same team on Wednesday October 17th. I had a great experience with Dr. Jackler's team and I also had a large tumor also 3.1cm AN on the right side.  Anyway, this is my first posting...my surgery also went long and I'm now almost 2 weeks post recovery.  39 years old - now I feel some days I'm like 90!

It was a much bigger surgery than I had expected (why? I have no idea) but there are a couple of issues I'm having - can I ask you if they are similar to what you might be experiencing?

Head pain is still quite in control of daily life - I am now only taking 2 Tylenol every 4-6 hours for the pain, normal right?  Also, my left arm is so weak...like I cannot straighten it out - I'm wondering what that is about.  I blew out my veins in that arm and my bruising is just starting to fade now.  Can anesthesia have that effect?  Still walking very slow...and sleeping is just the worst!  But I'm home and know that life is good around here!

Thanks for any feedback - congradulations on your surgery!  I feel it is something to undergo this surgery to say the least.

Kath
Burlingame, CA

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 02:37:09 pm »
Kath-

You're less than two weeks out from surgery, so yes it's quite normal to still be on painkillers.  It's fabulous that the OTC stuff is enough for you!  I was on ibuprofen (Tylenol just didn't do it for me) round-the-clock until about 4 weeks out, and even beyond that I'd have to take it a couple times a day for another few weeks.  I was at least 6 weeks post-op before I had a day without using painkillers, and even then I went back to needing it the next day. 

Sounds like you're doing really well.  Congratulations on making it through!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 08:43:19 pm »
Hi Kath,

Just two weeks out?  It sounds like you are progressing normally.  I took sleeping pills my first few weeks at home.  It's hard to sleep as your body is weaning itself from the anasthesia and other drugs.  I also slept with many pillows behind me at first.  It was my little "nest."  I had a weak arm on the same side as my AN, but that got better fairly quickly.  I suspect that yours will too.  Take time to work on balance exercises each day and then rest.  The rest is really important.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 09:55:34 pm »
Kath,

2 weeks post op and only taking regular Tylenol- way to go!

As far as getting better sleep
Take an Arthritis Tylenol before bed-
http://www.tylenol.com/product_detail.jhtml?id=tylenol/arth/prod_arth.inc&prod=subparth
...it has an 8 hour time release and you will see is the same quantity you would take if having regular Tylenol twice every 4 hours. (Only you don’t have to get up after 4 hours…) As long as you are not on other prescription meds you could probably just take benadryl before bed too. This combination should get you through the night.

Try icing you arm for 12 minutes (max) and see if that makes any difference. If your arm still troubles you than just send a short e-mail to your great doctor.

Walking will be slow at first. I actually started with a walker. Try taking walks after each meal (this will help with you digestion and circulation) and if it is sunny there in California get some of those funky wrap around sunglasses and wear a hat with a brim to shade your eyes. This actually helped my balance. Never did I think I would ever appreciate cloudy overcast days back here in Oregon – but now I do.

Jean is right about “rest�. Sleep when your body tells you to – and avoid caffeine. (Many people don’t like the taste of tea and coffee post AN surgery anyway)

Sorry for the reason you had to join us but so glad that you are postie now.

Know you have people here in the ANA family…

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:24:59 am »
Your arm just may be super-bruised deep inside from the blow-out you had.  OW.  Mine did that some since I am an easy bruiser.
Are you?  Definitely tell your Dr.

Arnica Gel or ointment is WONDERFUL for bruises.  - Of course, ask your Doc before taking anything.  :)

TYLENOL?!?!  Good Gosh, that's wonderful!  Two weeks out I was jogging on my treadmill.  NOT the best idea, but I was crazed from lack of movement.  LOL!  I took stuff to help sleep since I am an insomniac and the ONLY way to heal is to REST.  I was on pretty strong meds for a bit longer than you, too, but that could be attributed to my going back to work (at home) and doing things I should not have. 

So, bottom line:  Take it easy.  :)  I think you already know what you are doing though, so just keep it up!

Keep me updated, I'd love to know how you progress.

Are you feeling that conquer-the-world feeling?  I did!  It's wonderful.  I still get it, even though I unfortunately have BAD migraine days.  I figure if I can get through AN surgery, I can do most anything.  :)

Wow, I can tell by the rambling nature of this post I did not sleep much last night.  I apologize.  heehee

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:46:29 am »
Victoriah1999,

Next time you have an insomnia-tic moment feel free to join us fellow insomniacs here.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5359.msg48275#msg48275

Cheers,