Author Topic: medications post op  (Read 2227 times)

DIANN

medications post op
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:22:10 am »
It has been 2 years since my AN surgery.  I have a lot of issues in crowds and unfamiliar places.  I have been working with my doctor on medications to help with this.  I take a nuerology drug for the nerve pain in my head and ear.  I also take medication when I know i will be overstimilated because it calms me down.
I recently took a trip to Hawaii with friends and went to a Luaw.  After that i was in so much head pain that I was in tears and spent the next day on pain killer in bed.  My friends don't get it and think i'm a druggie or something. 
Does any one else take medications to help with issues following surgery.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: medications post op
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:43:55 am »
Diann,
Yes, I do take drugs for all of the above.  I am not ashamed to admit it and if they are truly your friends they will understand and be more understanding.  Noisy places can be a little overwhelming.  I prefer the sunsets!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

DIANN

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 03:09:22 pm »
THANK YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT AND CONFIRMATION. 
They just don't get what happens when you have this type of surgery.  Some of them are in the medical field but had never heard of the tumor type or affects until meeting me. 
Sometimes i just want to say where a plug in your ear with a ringing noise with it and see how you function.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:03:39 pm »
Hi Diann, I was getting nauseated in overstimulating places, then the vertigo would kick in. I spent time lying down afterwards. Even church was too much for me at first. It has gotten better, but some days I'm just not up to it. Since I don't always have control, I had a custom pair of earplugs made. They are called musician's plugs because you can still hear voices that are close to you (or the instrument you are playing) and not the other background sounds (or other players). They have inserts to choose which decible level you'd like to tune in at. Although I have SSD, I still have an ear drum in the deaf ear so I still wear both plugs. It has really helped. Insurance may help you pay for them if you're interested. My ENT was the one who fitted me for them. The cost without insurance help was about $200 or so.
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!