Author Topic: Dealing With Facial Paralysis  (Read 3838 times)

Jeanlea

Dealing With Facial Paralysis
« on: October 15, 2005, 07:51:16 pm »
Hi,

I'm in need of advice from those of you who have made their way through facial paralysis.  I find this to be the most difficult part of my surgery.  Along with the facial paralysis  comes the eye problems.  I started using drops during the day (I'm 5 weeks post-op) instead of lacrilube.  I see better, but my vision is still blurry.  I had no vision problems before surgery.  Is this normal?  I have a gold weight, and cover my eye at night to keep it moist. 

Did anyone else feel tingling or shooting sensations in their face?  I have some of these feelings, but it still stays numb and won't move for me. 

Sometimes I get frustrated because it feels like I have a mask over the left side of my face.  Anyway, thanks for listening.  It's nice to be able to share with others.  I'm going back to work part time October 31 and I'm hoping that work will keep my mind off of some of these problems.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Dealing With Facial Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 06:55:06 am »

Hi,
  I could of written that!! I'm about 9 weeks post-op with the same issues. Its the eye problems I hate the most. I  have facial paralysis on the right side, speech problems (no lip movement), and dry eye, lacilube at night and systane during the day. (no gold weight) I do have partial eye closeure.  I do have shooting sensations in my mouth and tungue , but not my face. I would take these as a good thing!!
   However I'm back work work now full time!! (balance and fatigue issues under conotrol) my face feels still feels like novican. Dr's it could take 6 months for the swelling to go down and the feelings to come back.  Life is returning to normal, I spend yesterday cleaning the house ... ugggg!

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

prittdgoat

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 07:22:53 am »
I have the same problems except mine is 9 months post op.  the dr told me that the nerve that controls the eye and face is the slowest to heal.  Said it could take 1 to 2 yrs to heal completely!  I am better than I was 6 months ago but very very slow progress.  Hang in there it will get better!

Karen

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 04:35:33 pm »
I also have the facial paralysis.  My tumor had invaded the facial nerve so they had to sever it to remove the tumor.  I had the tongue nerve graft in Jan.2004.  What bothers me   is the numbness, my eye is also numb the doctors say the tumor came off the trigeminal nerve easy and they thought my feeling would come back.  Ha any one had feeling come back after 18 months or so?  I hate the way my face feels, like a mask  and kind of throbbs sometimes.   I have a gold weight in also.  I have an appointment with Jackie Diels in November for facial retraining.  Would like to hear from facial paralysis people.  I use Refresh PM four times aa day.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 05:48:57 pm »
I'm 16 mo post op and I have still have numbness and paralysis. However it is improving very very slowly. I'm very tired of the lack of feeling feeling. I'm with you......
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

luv2teachsped

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 07:05:41 pm »
Hi Jean!  I agree, that "tingling" is usually a good sign!  I am now 5 months post surgery, and still have some of the same problems.  Each day is a little better than the previous day.  I have also had 3 back surgeries, where the nerves in my legs and feet have been damaged, and my Dr. always repeats that nerves heal v-e-r-y slowly.   Don't despair too much!  Please remember not to expect too much out of yourself!,especially in our positions as teachers, we tend to give 125%, and wonder why we're so tired!!Take Care Jean! :Dluv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

DeniseSmith

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 06:57:04 am »
Jean,
Its almost like you are living my life!!  I have tingling and still no movement on my face. My Dr. said 6 months up to 18 months, and then there was no guarantee it would come back.  My facial nerve was severed during surgery, my surgery was on 5/9/05.   I am having the gold weight put in on 11/2/05.  I still have some blurred vision.  I drive only during the day. Night driving is very scary.    I had no idea all this would happen after surgery.  I found this site about a month ago. My tumor was so big, it was only 34 days from diagnosis to surgery.  I wish I would have had more time to prepare and research my "problem". I have, however, learned alot from this site and don't feel so "isolated" in regards to my recovery. Everyone says it takes time, I am so sick of "time" its taking too long, I know patience would help me, but I have none!!!!

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 11:01:43 am »
I too have paralysis and eye problems. Its really hard some days to have patience. I notice when I get upset or cry my symptoms get worse so I am fighting to stay calm. My good news is the numbness is leaving but, in its wake I now have a bruised feeling and sever itching!!! My neurosurgeons assistant told me to rub "Icy-Hot" on the itching areas and that it would stop the itch!!!!!! Yeah.....Right....and replace it with a burn!!  :D  I really think the sensations you are feeling are signs that you are indeed recovering. Hopefully you will find the encouragment you need here among others that really do understand what you feel.   Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.