Author Topic: Seattle area experiences please?  (Read 2091 times)

rezski

Seattle area experiences please?
« on: October 13, 2005, 08:03:42 pm »
I was diagnosed in July with a 1.2 x .6 cm AN in my right auditory canal.  I have tinnititus in the rt ear and fullness feelings in both ears.  The hearing loss varies but at present it is about 80% hearing in both ears.  They think I have hereditary hearing loss as well.  I have had symptoms occasionally for at least 5 years  or more but they would always go away after a week or so and it was chalked up to infection or colds which I "cured" with Sudafed.  This time it didn't go away and thats what led to my diagnosis.  I saw Dr. Backous at Virginia Mason and elected to "watch and wait" for a year with reexamination next summer to see how or if things have changed. (unless of course symptoms get worse)  I have had 2 major GI surgeries in the past 2 years with the most recent in April and I need a break.  He favors surgery and says he can save both my hearing and facial nerve.  He said that radiation is an option of course but that it makes later surgery difficult as things get gooey.  I have read here that that is not necessarily the case.  I have no dizzyness or facial problems either.  So does anybody have any expeiences or advice on Seattle area (actually I live 45 min south) resources?
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

Raydean

Re: Seattle area experiences please?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 04:46:39 pm »
Seattle has some really outstanding medical Doctors including Dr Backous.  Other Doctors that i would consider seeing would be Dr. Sandra Vermeulen of Seattle for an evaluation for radiation options.  She really takes the time to explain everything.
I persinally think very highly of her.   I'd also consider an evaluation with Dr  Charles Mangham of The Seattle Ear Clinic.  He's very experienced and well known within the medical community of Seattle.  I think there are some entries under the Doctor section  on this site regarding Dr. Mangham.  I
Dr Timothy Steege is a neurosurgeon that teams up with Dr Mangham during surgeries, but also does  radiation.  Again, I think very highly of the above doctors, I am sure that that they would be of help as you explore all of the options available to you. 

Please feel free to email me off list.
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ljedwards

Re: Seattle area experiences please?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 07:49:47 pm »
On the non-professional side, check with Raydean on the Seattle Acoustic Neuroma Group (SANG), the local AN support group up there.

Jeanne
ljedwards
GK 1998  left side 2.4 x 3.5cm
Midwest GK Center
Kansas City, MO