Author Topic: Post-op Meniere's Disease???  (Read 2499 times)

hollyjo

Post-op Meniere's Disease???
« on: October 06, 2007, 12:29:01 pm »
I haven't been here for a long time (since I was 3 weeks post-op last December); trying to catch up with my life, work and hang in there with all my issues, which have turned out to be more significant than I thought they would be...I should explain also that I did not, in fact, have an acoustic neuroma...during surgery it was revealed that I had a facial nerve neuroma, and in order to remove it, my surgeons (both excellent) had to sever the nerve and perform a graft; 10 months later, I have no movement in my face on the affected side, although I'm told I have good muscle tone; I also have incomplete lid closure, a drippy nose, dry eye, pain in my face, balance problems, very significant memory problems...somehow I keep ticking.  However, lately I have been experiencing a feeling of fullness in my head on the right (affected side) and decreased hearing (although I have some hearing in that ear, it is tinny, distorted); my balance is also off and I have fallen twice in the last week - once down the stairs and once while bending over to pick up a piece of paper.  Yesterday I saw my surgeon and he thinks my inner ear reacted to the surgery by becoming inflamed and retaining fluid, and that I may be developing Meniere's Disease.  I read up on it and wanted to cry - it seems that people who have it are subject to attacks of vertigo and dizziness almost completely out of the blue - sometimes so severe that they are confined to bed until the attack passes, after which they sleep for hours or even days, because the aftermath is one of extreme fatigue.  Has anyone else developed this or even heard of it happening after facial nerve or acoustic neuroma surgery?
I also have BPPV due to the dislocation of calcium crystals, which, if I'm not mistaken, is another source of dizziness not related to the Meniere's.  As it seems that I am developing into one dizzy broad, any info would be appreciated!
Right side facial schwannoma, size unspecified
Mid fossa 11/06 (facial nerve severed; nerve graft at time of procedure)
Drs. Arriaga & Baghai
Migraine & vestibular issues, right side facial paralysis; some movement in lower part of face
Gold weight/lower lid resection - right eye: 11/10.

debora

Re: Post-op Meniere's Disease???
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 04:19:29 pm »
Hollyjo,

My heart goes out to you, your letter brought up very painful feelings.  I know how it feels to have vertigo attack out of the blue, it is disabeling and exhausting.   I was never so sick in my life and the depression was severe. I  don't know if you will get vertigo attacks and if you do no one can tell you that you will be normal again.  What I can tell you that with a lot of hard work you will get better and you can have a life even with the attacks.   You just need to carry a phone, sometimes when I think I may get an attack I will let my husband and kids know so that they keep their phones handy that day.  I joined this site to get answers and support and was hoping that someone would tell me that I would be ok that these vertigo attacks would go away and I would be my self again.  I have learned to accept my new self (most of the time), I may not like it but in order to move on it is very important to learn acceptance.
I really can't tell you enough how badly I feel for you and know some of what you are experiencing, please feel free to email me I don't have answers but I can listen and sympathise.

Many hugs,   Deb

tony

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:21:03 am »
I saw your note
It is possible of course - but there is a simpler and maybe less
complex answer. Many on the list have these symptoms Post Op
- but its not forever and in time they subside
Yes post Op swelling around the soft nerve tissue
is for real and does have consequences.
You may try the simple "cold remedy" drug store remedy
and see - if the swelling reduces and things improve
then you have an answer - the doc might then opt to try a course
of steriods - this often works
Meantime - during this "settledown phase" then yes
take it easy on the stairs and avoid ladders
Remember, a bruised or swollen nerve can take
months to fix - best not to push it too much ?
Best Regards
Tony

sreda

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:26:53 am »
Hi HollyJo-
I am sorry for your stresses that you described, and completey sympathetic. Let me relate my tidbit to you, and it will just be another data point to consider.
I did have an AN removed surgically in 2004. Had all the regular followup/recovery symptoms, then things went smoothly and I resumed competely normal active life (with more balance issues, tho.)
Then, last Thanksgiving, which would be 2+ yrs. after surgery, I had a  sudden, debilitating attach of vertigo that had no apparent cause. It came on within a few hours, and worsened to the point that I could not walk without aid. (I am 49).

I had no fever or nausea or other symptoms, but the vertigo persisted. I saw the ENT ASAP, and he diagnosed that I had a virus of the hearing nerve (same side as my AN had been, but apparently unrelated to teh surgery). The antibiotic he gave me got rid of teh virus, and I was fine within about a day and a half. So I think he was correct.
Just wanted to relay this, re: possible causes of severe, spontaneous vertigo.
Sis

Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 04:07:55 pm »
I talked to a patient pre op who after the removal of his AN developed Meinere's.
I know for me my dizziness has gotten better over time (I'm 2. 2 years out) there were days where it has felt worse. Also, if I turn my head too fast while walking/moving I'll completely lose my balance and flail looking for someone/thing to grab onto.

M