Author Topic: SSD and irratability  (Read 6699 times)

marg

Re: SSD and irratability
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 10:48:42 pm »
Soundy,   What a crack up  ;D .  I am a 2nd grade teacher and boy do I understand about the headaches from the noise . 

T P    Anne Marie is right................ I am type A too and although it is tough to  be in big groups .. it is a majority of my  teaching day.  It's hard to go do things in big, loud places with noisy kids all day.... but the more I do it the easier it gets  .... I find I need some quiet time at lunch (I eat in my room) and after school.  My kids at school know about the surgery I had,  what it was for,  and about my deafness in one ear and balance problems.  It has become 'normal' for them and they don't blink an eye when I say "you're on my deaf side..... go around by my other ear".   

I also  let strangers know I am SSD (if telling them in  the situation will help me feel less pressured - especially if they are on my deaf side or have a very soft voice ) At first I was uncomfortable with this but I find I get less crabby when I just tell people in a matter of fact tone 'I'm deaf in my left ear - so if I don't answer you I'm not being rude...I just didn't hear you'.  They usually speak up then and it is much less stressful for me.    Of course people often ask if I was born that way or ... how did it happen ( doesn't really bother me).... I just tell them.... and we move on to other conversations.

Oh, and by the way if your boss gives you lots of hassles about the phone conversation you had with her and you have problems because of it .... remember that people with disabilities do have rights.... and accomadations are to be made (if needed).  After coming back this year after surgery I had to have a couple of things changed to help me in my job...

We have enough to deal with and your boss should be greatful she doesn't have to deal with SSD.  Maybe you should send her the information from Brian
Hope you have a better week,
Margaret

Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: SSD and irratability
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 04:12:30 pm »
My girl scout troop are now third graders and I have had them since they were in
kindergarten... they know about it and have for a while and just take it in stride... I am at
school alot and a few teachers knew before surgery and one sent a email to all of them
when I went for surgery... now alot of kids know ... what gets me the kids give me hugs
and go on with their business after "checking up on me "... the adults have more problems
dealing with it and it makes many uncomfortable
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery