Author Topic: Places other than HEI  (Read 3101 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Places other than HEI
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:42:04 am »
I know that HEI is highly regarded as the place to have your AN surgery, and there is no disputing that it is a great place.  However, there are many who cannot go to HEI due to location, cost, etc.  For some time now, I have felt like it's the duty of the members of this forum to also talk about "other places" where they had great results and/or were highly satisfied with their treatment.

So, for those of you who have been somewhere other than HEI, please chime in.

Personally I had my surgery in Hinsdale, Illinois with Dr. Robert Battista and Dr. Robert Kazan.  Kazan is a neurosurgeon and Battista is a neurotologist.  Battista is in practice with Dr. Richard Wiet, another neurotologist who currently is a board member of the ANA.  I had the option of surgery or gamma knife - they can do either if your case warrants it.  Hinsdale is a suburb in the Chicago area.

I am extremely satisfied with the outcome of my surgery, the qualifications of these doctors, and their bedside manners.  I found Hinsdale Hospital to be a wonderful hospital and their nursing staff was excellent.

I know the ANA website has a section where you can find a physician in your area, but to my knowledge, they can not recommend specific doctors.  I think it would be helpful to AN patients who have not yet found "their" doctor or have not had AN treatment to know a little something more from those of us who have "been there".

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

crystallady

Re: Places other than HEI
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:55:32 pm »
Jan,  I agree with you in that everyone cannot go where everyone recommends. I have been blessed with some very talented and compassionate doctors near where I live.  I live in western NY state.  I had thought about Pittsburg but with all the temporary complications that I had, and would have had in Pittsburg, I am glad i was close to home with family there.  The complications no longer exist.  I also had Novalis done that they have used for many years and outcome was fantastic for me.  I only had to receive one treatment.  I get constant followup from my "team" of doctors.  I am glad for the decisions I have made.

Cindy

lori78

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:19:32 pm »
I am also really happy with my choice, so far.  I went with Drs. Sahni and Schia in Richmond, VA.  I knew that Dr. Schia trained at HEI and did roughly ten AN surgeries a week in his fellowship, and that was a big draw for me also.  I like that Dr. Sahni confided in my family that he has had some personal reasons for NOT wanting to work in a big hospital with lots of interns, and looking back, w all of my complications, I can't imagine bing in a bigger hospital with lots of interns!  Just wish this depression would go away.. :(  But overall, I agree..
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

susier

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:27:56 pm »
I am still in the wait and watch phase, but am very happy with my doctors.  I live in a suburb of Houston, TX and went to MD Anderson for consult with Dr. Frank Demonte and Dr. Paul Gidley.  They were in agreement that my AN is so small that treatment is unecessary now, but when and if treatment is necessary, I will go there.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 11:16:23 am »
Great idea!

I had surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital with Drs. Barker and McKenna (who's technically on staff at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary).  Very talented surgeons - I've met many who've had great outcomes with them.  There's also lots of great radiation options in the New England area.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 04:39:59 pm »
I got to go to HEI, mainly because I had a lot of family on both my Mom's side and Dad's side in LA area, so it was a logical choice for me, but  had I not had that option, I probably would have seen Dr Debara Tucci at Duke in Durham, NC. We should start this thread also in the AN issues area in case it gets missed by someone looking for help. Alot of them bypass the community section as it is on the bottom of the list!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 10:43:03 am »
Great idea, Capt. Deb.

Anyone have a clue how to do that? 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
Respond to Jan- Quote

“However, there are many who cannot go to HEI due to location, cost, etc�

I actually flew all the way to LA and went for an appointment there at HEI. Believe it or not- their financial quote, to me, was NOT near as high as other institutions in the US. I actually did have insurance coverage to go to HEI- if I wanted to.

I deliberated between House (LA, CA) and OHSU (Portland OR) for sometime. I did much research (full and overtime, all summer, plus forked out-of-pocket $2K – flights and accommodations, malpractice reports, downloading medical publications by the noted world class AN surgeons etc) … and you know I actually chose neither of these  places in the finale (even if my insurance company would cover the surgery  – however not travel expenses etc)

I actually chose Stanford University. I had not even met the Dr.Jackler/ Dr. Harsh team, in person, before I made my choice (unlike personally going to the other places). I consulted with 9 surgeons in the USA and Canada (sent them my MRI and hearing tests etc- had phone conversations…) and Dr. Jackler (#8 I spoke to) impressed me MOST of all. He answered all my questions well. I then did background reference work on him and went over his and Dr. Harsh’s CV’s with a fine tooth comb. I actually CHOSE Stanford over HEI … and I preferred Stanford U hospital (Palo Alto CA) over St. Vincent Hospital (LA- CA) (please understand though I really really liked Dr. Brackmann, at House, – he is a lovely man to meet in person- I will not ever forget him)

Dr Jackler actually did his fellow year at House with Dr. Brackmann – years ago. Dr. Jackler has fellows now train under him. The young Canadian fellow I had at Stanford was exceptional! … He in turn will go back to Canada and train MD’s up there.

House was THE pioneering institute in Acoustic Neuroma. They have trained many others (name me a neurotologist who does not have a text book in their library- written by either Dr. House or Dr. Brackmann.) Those trained at HEI have moved on to develop good quality institutions of their own. In their prime years- Dr. House and Dr. Brackmann were not just THE amazing surgeons they were also amazing educators.

JAN - I must correct you when you start doing COST comparison- you need to realize that House IS reasonable (their quote was much lower than my Stanford bill) and they also have the affordable Seton House for patients and their companion stay at -while in extended recovery …right next to the hospital. (Our extended stay apartment in Palo Alto area- was VERY pricey) Many intentional patients are still being sent HEI… but in North America we have more and more qualified Surgeons and intuitions cropping up now.

The AN forum has this list of surgeons (many with places other than HEI):

http://anausa.org/physician_list.html

I am curious as to “WHO regulates this list?�

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 02:10:11 pm »
Great idea, Capt. Deb.

Anyone have a clue how to do that? 

Jan

I don't think you can quote from topic to topic. I think you just can rewrite the post over in AN issues.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW