Author Topic: A year ago...  (Read 5281 times)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
A year ago...
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:53:54 am »
Today is my first ANniversary.  This past year has been rough (my surgery was only the start of many unrelated, stressful events), and I'm looking forward to a better time ahead.

I feel so lucky - while I do have a few minor lingering aftershocks from surgery, it's nothing that affects my daily life.  Well, other than the SSD but even that seems just a minor inconvenience most of the time.  For anyone new who's interested, you can read my whole recovery story at http://www.carepages.com/.  My page is KatieANSurgery.

Having an AN is a big deal, no denying that.  But I'm also proof that it's not the end of the world, and life goes on (mostly) normally!   ;)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: A year ago...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:42:42 pm »
Hi Katie:  I also wish you a better year - one filled with happiness & smiles.   I remember feeling VERY upset on my 1 year anniversary - I realize it's because it changed my life so much (due to the facial paralysis).  I'm so happy you are able to deal with the 'minor' inconveniances, & weren't left with the 'visible' scars.    Yes, life does go on, & it does get easier.  Happy Anniversary.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 06:34:47 pm »
Hi Katie,

Congratulations on reaching the one year milestone.  It's nice to look back over the year and see the progress that you've made.  I hope this next year is even better for you, especially with those cute little boys you have.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:36:06 pm »
Hi Katie,
     I bet you thought I was gone, no I'm still around, just had to get away for awhile.  I wanted to congratulate you on your 1 year anniversary.   :) How are the boys doing?  Maybe having them to care for helped you to fight to get better.  Now you can have 1 year behind you.  Take care....  Sue/NH
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

pattibobatti

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:45:09 pm »
Good for you Katie,

A year has gone by and it sounds like you had unrelated stresses!!! You are so lucky and have everything to look forward to a great new year... I saw the pics of your kids and something tells me that youwill have a very good next year!!!

Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 01:09:49 pm »
Hi, Katie:

Thanks for reminding us of your one-year 'anniversary'...and of course, congratulations! :)

Although I'm sorry you've had other stresses to deal with this past year, I'm delighted to learn that your recovery has been basically total.  Mine, too.  I feel very blessed.  Having an acoustic neuroma tumor is a life-altering experience, as you mentioned, but it is surmountable.  Time does go by quickly and life certainly does go on, if we simply allow it to unfold before us.    Thanks for your post.  It was a bright spot for many, I'm sure.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:27:25 pm »
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

As I spent my day today taking my little one to gymnastics; baking banana bread for a bake sale; cleaning the grease spots my husband tracked all over the carpet upstairs; picking up the oldest from Kindergarten; cleaning the kitchen; cleaning the kitchen again after a major apple juice spill; getting two very tired and cranky boys fed, bathed, and into bed; and squeezing in a couple hours of work-for-pay I realize that my AN really isn't a big part of my life right now!   ;)

But I do, of course, still want to provide others with the same wonderful support I received.  I remember how scary all this was for a couple years!

Thanks!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Desilu

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 12:03:27 pm »
Hi Katie,

Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! I treated myself to a very special dinner at Red Lobster. I felt I deserved it! I'm so glad that you feel the way I do about supporting others on the website. When I was going for my surgery. I found this website. There were two people in particular that helped my get through this whole thing. I feel it is my turn to give back. It has been a little over 2 years now and I feel blessed to be able to support and offer advice to those just starting their AN journey. Hope next year will be even better for you!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Obita

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 08:16:53 pm »
Wow Katie, I can't believe it has been a year since I was checking your carepages 5 times a day. 

Congrats and thanks for all of your positive posts.  You truly are an inspiration to all.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 05:15:54 pm »
Katie: thanks for giving us the update! Congrats on your one year anniversary...xxooo to you and those cute boys.  As for your husband with the grease spots on the carpet, if you need a carpet cleaner I use Folex- it's awesome.. ;) take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 05:25:35 am »
Katie,
Congrats on your one year!  Thank you for teaching us about Carepages!  That website has made life easier for alot of my friends and relatives.  A big thank you and hugs.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

MLB57

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:55:54 pm »
Hi Katie!! I just read this post now--Conrat on your passing your first year anniv with flying colors and clean as a whistle MRI!!   and you are in one of the pictures from the Philly symposium in our new ANA newsletter--yeah! You have such a great smile 'cause you have lots to smile about now after the tough year past!!! Looking forward to Nov brunch!!  Regards, Mary ;D
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

Crystal

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 05:11:44 pm »
Katie -- What a perfect way to spend your anniversary day.  Doing everyday things and actually getting to live a normal life.  You are truely blessed.  Best wishes for a terrific year ahead.
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

kippy6

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 10:31:33 pm »
Welcome to the one-year club! Good to hear you are doing well now. Congrats!
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute