Author Topic: Biotene for dry mouth ?????  (Read 10140 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Biotene for dry mouth ?????
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:23:45 pm »
I was at my dentist today and we were discussing the side effects I've had since my AN surgery.  I mentioned that I have a very dry mouth - especially when I've been talking for a prolonged period of time.  He recommended a product called "Biotene".  He said I could buy it OTC in any drugstore and that it would be located near other dental products like floss, fluoride, etc.  He said that it comes in various forms (gel, paste, liquid).  Has anyone heard of this product?  Has anyone tried it?  If so, did it help with dry mouth symptoms?
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Chaya

Re: Biotene for dry mouth ?????
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:10:43 pm »
Hi, my name is Heidi and I am fairly new to the forum.  I have tried all three Biotene products that you mentioned, hoping it would help with this horrid metallic taste I have in my mouth.  I don't feel as though the taste comes from "dry mouth", but I am still hopeful something for dry mouth will help.  The Biotene helps for a while, then the taste comes back, unfortunately.  I am always fearful the taste will return with a "vengence", so I hesitate to try anything too often.  Maybe that is a weird way to think, but I try to tolerate the horrible taste as long as I can, then try something.  In fact, I found Biotene gum also. 

In other Forum posts, others have also suggested Tic Tacs and cranberry juice (not together!)  Both work for a while, until their own tastes are gone.

Hope this helps others in some way.  By reading others posts, I have been helped a lot, even just to know I am not alone in this AN thing!  For that I am grateful!!

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:05:31 pm »
I've used Biotene products every day since surgery.  It helps the dry mouth problem well for me.  I recall the metallic taste that persisted for about 7 months.  Then the bad taste became a new thing, numb and sore tongue.  For the most part the tongue and taste sensations have been neutral for me since the first year mark.   Life is good, all foods taste normal and the pesky sore tongue is healed.

During the first year of recovery I avoided strong spices, hot foods, and foods that might cause indigestion.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 06:25:17 am »
I use Listerine strips like they're going out of style !!!!  Between the dry mouth & bad taste, UGH!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

vcschaub

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 01:34:44 pm »
I developed Sjogren's Syndrome in the last year. It is an autoimmune disease that affects your exocrine glands (eyes - tears, mouth - saliva....). I use Biotene after brushing my teeth and the gel on my tongue. They really help me. I use Restasis (prescription eye drops) for my eyes. I highly recommend both products.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 01:36:19 pm »
Don't think I could stand the taste of the Listerine strips.  I've pretty much learned to live with the yucky taste in my mouth, but the dryness does get to me.  Maybe I'll look for Biotene @ my local drugstore and try it out.  Those of you who've used it - is it relatively cheap? or is it costly?
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 01:48:03 pm »
vcschaub:  my co-worker was dx. with it also - doing the same as you.  The Biotene is more expensive than regular mouthwash - about $6./bottle.   I hear it is so important to keep the mouth moist to prevent increased bacteria - I drink at least 6 glasses of H2O daily, probably more (hence up to the bathroom at least 1-2x/night - UGH!).  The Biotene works good for about 1 minute for me, but when you gargle with it it DOES feel good.  the toothpaste had NO taste - so I'm back to regular toothpaste & antiseptic mouthwash.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

vcschaub

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 02:54:32 pm »
The gel that Biotene makes for dry mouth is called "Oral Balance". It is not a toothpaste. I use it at night. You apply it to your tongue. You are right about Biotene mouthwash being expensive. I just bought an extra large bottle and it was $10.99. It does work well and the big bottle lasts a long time.
6mm
House Ear

vcschaub

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 03:27:38 pm »
Good news. The giant Biotene bottle that I paid $10.99 for at CVS is $9.99 at Target!!
6mm
House Ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 04:23:07 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I still haven't purchased any, but it's on my list of things to do in the very near future.

Jan

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 04:56:42 pm »
My co-worker gave me a piece of 'biotene' gum today -  it works GREAT for dry mouth - my problem is with the facial paralysis my paralyzed side gets soooo tired if I try to chew it on that side.  Even with chewing on the left it really kept my mouth moist !!!!  She picked it up at Walgreens.  Gonna buy me a pack.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 11:36:01 pm »
Finally got around to buying some Biotene.  I went the whole nine yards and ordered the toothpaste, oral balance gel, gum, and mouthwash from drugstore.com

Haven't had time yet to try the gel and mouthwash, but the toothpaste and gum are great.  They really take away the dryness in my mouth, and amazingly enough, sometimes they take away the metallic taste too  ;D

I really like these products.  Thanks to all who recommended them.

Jan

FlyersFan68

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 08:18:06 am »
I developed Sjogren's Syndrome in the last year. It is an autoimmune disease that affects your exocrine glands (eyes - tears, mouth - saliva....). I use Biotene after brushing my teeth and the gel on my tongue. They really help me. I use Restasis (prescription eye drops) for my eyes. I highly recommend both products.

Hello Everyone,
 I was wondering if you or anyone else consumes aspartame on a regular basis. I recently developed dry eyes while using Equal on a daily basis. My blood sugar was a little high so I decided to reduce my sugar intake and substitute with artificial sweeteners. I was using Splenda at first and although I didn't develop dry eyes I stopped using it because I really didn't care for the taste. I started using Equal about 2 weeks ago. That's when the dry eyes started for me for the first time. I've never experienced dry eyes before even after my surgery well over three years ago. At first I was thinking too much computer usage or enviromental factors such as air conditioning but I think I have found the real cause..... ASPARTAME!