Author Topic: Ear marker gets them on your "Good Side"  (Read 15971 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Ear marker gets them on your "Good Side"
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 09:04:11 pm »
Boppie,

I just measured my "deaf left" pin ... 2 3/4 inches. I bought 2. One for my coat and one for the out-fit-of-the-day...

Cheers,

(fashion queen LOL  :D ;) )
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Boppie

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 09:21:12 pm »
You are right 4,  My pins arrived today.  The taller measurement is 2¾"  the horizontal is 1¾".  At least these can't be missed.

lori67

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 09:49:42 am »
Well, I suppose if the fashion queen says it's okay...  maybe we can start our own fashion trend.  All of the runway models will be wishing they were deaf on one side...

;D
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 10:17:37 am »
 :D LOL

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Boppie

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 11:31:59 am »
I have worn a small pierced earring with an ear charm on it for my good ear.  Only my best friends and family respond to it.

Today at a large meeting someone noticed my pin.  The size actually makes an immediate point.  At least someone mentioned it, maybe coveted it. ;D

Another person took a place on my good side to have a long conversation after the meeting.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:37:27 am by Boppie »

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 11:39:30 am »
See some brilliant designer in the ANA knew what they were doing when they created this...
 ;)

lori67

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 03:23:06 pm »
Hmmm... it's coming to me now... I'm seeing a pin to match each outfit - something with sparkle....  I think i can make my first million... or at least a couple of bucks.  I think I have a limited market.  Gotta work on that.

I guess in the meantime, I'll have to wear my billboard.  At least it will take the attention away from my droopy lip and maybe no one will notice I'm winking at them.   And at least if I accidently ignore someone and they say "what are you - deaf?"  I can point to my pin and say "what are you - blind?".

;)  Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 07:26:09 pm »
Lori,

LOL  :D ... you are too funny!

marg

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 10:14:24 pm »
We live out in the sticks and have been having problems with phone lately...alot
of static and clicking... the other day my husband was trying to make a call... I was
washing dishes and he had told me the phone didn't sound right... I asked what did it
sound like... he came up behind me and put phone to deaf ear... I told him it sounded
clear to me ...

I turned to watch him return to desk listening to phone and frowning  ...he hung it up
and said it still sounded bad to him...I guess I could have told him I heard clear line simply
because I heard nothing ... but thought naaaaaaaaaaaaa... gotta get giggles in when I can  :)

You crack me up... how funny and how true.  Depending on how tired I am - I can be very patient or very frustrated with others talking on my deaf side.... Try keeping track of who is reading correctly in a classroom when you have your kids reading in partners.... all at the same time .  No problem before (they sit all around the room with spaces between) but now that I can't filter out background noise and deal with tinnitus too... I watch to see that their finger is under the words in the same place... and rely on the fact that 2nd graders love to tattle on each other if their partner is not doing what they are supposed to  :D .
    This first school year as SSD is a challenging one for me in the classroom and so far so good.  Next wednesday is  1/3 of the way through the year and I am planning to celebrate reaching this point..... there was a time I didn't think I could continue teaching.
     As far as keeping kids on my hearing side... I put my school ID badge on my shirt on the  good ear side and tell my kids (and adults) if they talk  on that side of me.... they will always be on the right side.

Margaret
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:16:20 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

lori67

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 11:15:13 pm »
I give you a lot of credit for being able to handle a classroom full of 2nd graders (even before losing hearing on one side!).

I have trouble keeping track of my own kids inside the house half the time.  I heard one of them calling me earlier, and walked clear around the house in a circle saying "I hear you, but I don't see you" before finding her standing right near where I started my search in the first place.  I should attach flags or flashing lights to them.

I say next Wednesday is a great day to celebrate!!  If you haven't misplaced any kids yet - that's cause for celebration!!
Lori

er

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 01:17:25 am »
I don't blame Jim not wanting to wear an earring or pin,

I have been laughing at these comments while I read them even though they are very serious and frustrating like you all mention.
It's 2 1/2 years for me and I still try to put the phone on my bad side. Last night while I was reading the threads my son left his DVD player by the computer so I tried to put the earplug to my bad side not hearing a thing, think there was no disc in the player. Stupid me, bad ear I need the pin in front of me to see that I am deaf in the left ear.
eve

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 03:39:42 pm »
How about a plastic shower cap-like thingy with a circle/slash sign or an out of order sign that just fits over your ear, kind of like a winch cover on a fancy yacht? Maybe out of leopard fabric with some rhinestones?  Sort of like a little Barbie beret? Someone out there know how ta sew?

Capt Deb
Total Fashion Queen
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007, 03:44:52 pm »
PS I think I'm just going to have the word NO! tattooed  on the inside part of my ear at the top. Not on the lobe, that spot  is reserved for the dazzling earrings that my daughter in law makes. I want Hannah to do it on L.A. Ink. She does great script!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 07:58:09 pm »
Deb, You are soo funny!  It pays to laugh. :D

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 04:29:34 pm »
my 27 year old sister came in from out of town and stayed with us four days ... she was
constantly on wrong side and attacked me with a sharpie marker and now three days later
the hole in my lobe still has black in it  >:( ...brat...she is the same age as my twins and the three
of them act worse than my 8 and 10 year old at times... 1980 may have been a bad year for
babies in this area   :-\
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery