Author Topic: Balance and head cold  (Read 18492 times)

Catflower

Balance and head cold
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:22:02 pm »
Do other folks find their balance problems get worse when they have a head cold?

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Balance and head cold
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:12:37 pm »
Can't help you Cat, I NEVER get colds  (achoooo!!)  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tony

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:24:14 am »
Yes - there is a definate relationship between my revised balance
and colds/flu etc - the remaining hearing is affected too
I  do find the cold type remedies particually to do with soft tissue swelling
do improve things
best regards
tony

linnilue

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:57:40 pm »
Do other folks find their balance problems get worse when they have a head cold?
  Oh Yes...and weather changes...
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:58:56 pm »
My balance doesn't seem to be affected by my current head cold, but it IS affected by being tired.  When I'm tired, I tend to walk like I've been drinking heavily  ;D  This morning while walking down the hall at work, I actually bumped into the wall with my shoulder.

Weather changes haven't affected my balance, but they have been giving me headaches.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 02:24:35 pm »
Yes, for me it's the tiredness that comes from being sick, and tiredness in general, that makes my balance go funny.  The more tired I get, the stumblier I get. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 11:09:17 pm »
Yes, for me it's the tiredness that comes from being sick, and tiredness in general, that makes my balance go funny.  The more tired I get, the stumblier I get. 

I couldn't have said it any better myself  ;D
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

SteveWWD

• www.myacousticneuroma.com
    • http://www.myacousticneuroma.com
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 04:41:55 pm »
Yes I have definitly notices that when my head is out of it, I meet many more doorway edges with my shoulders.  I will have this happen for a day or so.  Usally around this time I will feel a slight pressure in my scar area, but I do not get headaches.

marguerite

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 08:34:58 am »

my symptoms increased last week... dizzier, tinittus (higher and longer than normal), and i was getting very concerned and considering calling dr, then the headcold appeared, so it makes sense.

debora

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 02:17:48 pm »
Sneezing sends me into orbit with the vertigo.  The weather and being tired don't help either.  At least we have other people on this site who understand
and for that I am very grateful.  We are not nuts!   :)
Couldn't figure out how to add the funny face.

Deb

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 07:01:32 am »
Debora -

you are right, we are most certainly not nuts.  I little crazy at times, but definitely not nuts  ;D

Jan

er

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 12:17:53 pm »
I just had a sinus problem and it effected my ear, I hated it  >:( :'(I had to stay home. Going out into the public was so hard, I couldn't feel people coming up from behind me or hear what they were saying  and my blance was way off even my mind would be like I couldn't think or speak right away I had to process what the person was asking me and I was asked often if I was ok.
I wonder if a baha or a transear help any of these issues
eve

Static

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 07:30:16 am »
We are not nuts, but we need to find doctors who understand that we are not nuts and work with us on that one!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 07:05:14 pm »
I am scared to get a cold ...or a cough ... or any illness that is gonna effect my head or any
of it's components in any way... I have stirred up dust and sneezed which sends me running for
pain killers and leaves me dizzier and wobblier than normal... I got choke and cough with same results...
with two kids in school and working there off and on I know there is no way to avoid it completely but
I am scared of catching something all the same... I do check with school nurse to see if any bugs are
going around school and when alot of kids have something at same time I don't go

I did find out last weekend that just getting face cold could cause head ache...watch a local Christmas
parade and as my face got cold my head started aching ...took some Tylenol to head it off ...had a hood
on my head but it is loose fitting ... I guess a scarf or a ski mask type hat needs to be added to my
wardrobe if I am gonna be outside in the cold...

I refuse to let this make me a hostage in my home although some friends and relatives have recommended
me hibernate til spring
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 07:16:22 pm »
I hear you Soundy.  I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection.  It only took me a month to do something about it.  Started as a cold that would go away.  On Wed I called my family Dr's office almost in tears, begging for an antibiotic.  I had missed two days of work the week before and I was getting worse.  I thought my left cheek bone was going to EXPLODE.  In the morning when I would wake up my sinuses would drain down the back of my throat.  My breathe could kill a few Al qaeda.  Not to mention the pressure above my eyes and the headaches.

I'm slowly on the road to recovery.  This is how I first notice I had decreased hearing.  Two winters ago I had a bad sinus infection that never left.  I was on antibiotics for months.  How many others out there had a really bad sinus infection only to discover AN or FN?  Maybe there is a common thread here.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games