Author Topic: Any Radiation Posties using a Transear?  (Read 2522 times)

jvastola

Any Radiation Posties using a Transear?
« on: October 07, 2007, 03:23:34 pm »
I am 10 months post CK and I have a Transear consult on Tuesday.  What I am wondering is if anyone who had radiation treatment, and still has a bit of residual hearing left, is having any success with Transear?  I have 0% recognition on my AN side but I do hear sounds.  It's like listening to someone taking underwater. Nothing I can understand but it is sound.

Jim
Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
2.2cm x 2.4cm x1.9cm Left side
CK December 4-6 2006
6 month MRI showed no cell death
12month MRI Tumor size 1.9x1.9x1.6
14 months my hearing stars to return!!

Patch

Re: Any Radiation Posties using a Transear?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:33:13 pm »
        I had that same sound, it was like they were talking to me in a tin can, it lasted a day and went away. I called my radialogist and he said it was probably a ear infection. I had radiation treatments in July, Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 2 weeks, low dose treatments that lasted maybe 10 minutes. I have my 3 month follow up on the 22nd of this month. What kind of treatments did you have?

Mark  Ohio
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

jvastola

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 08:15:47 pm »
I had CK, three treatments, 45min each, three days in a row. 12/07

The sound is just what remmains of my hearing.  It's a permanent thing. Has been for most of this year.  Wish it was somehting as simple as an infection.

Thanks for the response though.  I hope you are well.

Jim
Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
CK December 4-6 2006

Dealy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:49:49 pm »
Jim- Today marks the 15 month of post-op from radiation. I had FSR last summer over 25 sessions. Hearing started too decline at 6 months. My 6month MRI show signs of necrosis-9month it swoll- and i year show decrease in sixe by 2 millimeters plus signs of dying. I only have one hearing ear left- The AN is in my right-2.5CM and my left  is completely deaf. At 9 months I opted for a hearing aid and it helped immensely. However the hearing is declining and my last hearing showed me down to 50% and only 30 decibels to spare until I am completely deaf. The Hearing Aid I got was a Phonak. They are not cheap-$2500 dollars out of my pocket. I cannot discern music or certain pitches even with my hearing aid-buts it's sound and when you are next to nothing-I will at this time take the next which is better than nothing. Now the transear-if your hearing nerve is damaged from some affects of radiation etc.-no amount of hearing aids will help-However most Hearing Aid companies will give you a Hearing Test and determine if you can be assisted by a hearing device-you have nothing to lose by at least trying. If they determine that you can be helped-insist of a 30 to 60 day trial period in case your Hearing totally crashes-this way you are not out any major dollars. Hope this helps you_Ron.

jvastola

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 03:53:30 pm »
Ron,

Sorry to hear about you situation.  I agree that my standard hearing aid, also a phonak, is all but useless right now, however, the Transear is not a traditional hearing aid.  It was determined that it was worth trying for me because is sends the the sound from the bad side to the good side and my good side is very good.  I ordered one yesterday, we will see what happens.

Jim
Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
CK December 4-6 2006