Author Topic: Question about tinnitus.  (Read 4340 times)

jw

Question about tinnitus.
« on: September 28, 2005, 03:13:42 pm »
Hello, everyone.

I had a question and I thought this would be the place to ask.  I'm still waiting for an MRI appointment.  It's been a week since I've seen my family doctor and the MRI lab in the hospital has the requisition.  I just have to wait for them to call.  I'm very impatient, not knowing if it's AN or not AN.  I just wish they'd hurry up and book it.  However, I'm sure that most people who need an MRI for whatever reason feel the same way.  I seem to be experiencing a short of patience lately...

My question is about tinnitus, which I've had for several months now.  In fact, I can't really recall when it started.  I just assumed it was a natural part of hearing loss.  I'm guessing around 8 months?  It does seem to be getting lounder - a constant "buzz" in my rt. ear.  Perhaps because of the discussion about AN I'm just noticing it more though.

When I make a sudden movement - like moving my head from one side to another as if turning quickly to see something, my buzzing changes pitch.  It only changes while I am moving.  Side to side or up and down it does the same.  It kind of sounds like a phaser from Star Trek when I move, once I stop it goes back to the regular buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  ?If I put my chin down on my chest it stays with the 'phaser' sound, but that's the only position where it remains.  Also, if I move my jaw around, especially if I move it to the far right side, the tone changes again.  With jaw movement, the tone remains changed as long as I hold the position of my jaw.  Move it back to normal, the regular buzzzzz returns.

Does anyone with tinnitus experience this?  Did you have it before your AN was removed?  After?  I think this waiting for AN diagnosis can drive you crazy.  You think about symptoms, etc. and the not knowing is worse than knowing.

Thanks, and I hope that you are all doing well, in your various stages of identification, pre-treatment, treatment, recovery, etc.

John
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Question about tinnitus.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 06:45:11 pm »
Unfortunately when we discuss the big "T" (tinnitus), we tend to hear it more.  I sometimes visit another site for people with tinnitus, but I find myself being bothered more afterwards...kind of wierd huh?

My "T" is similar to yours with the constant ring but, when certain pitches or tones are recieved by the ear it sounds more like someone running their wet finger over the edge of a wine glass.  Not a complete circle around the glass, just a little...just enough to notice it. 

I think it's more prevelent for me now since I'm between jobs and have more time to hear it  :)
I try not to discuss it with my fiance or anyone else.  First, I don't think they could relate, and second I don't want them to worry.  So I stick to my cyber family.

Some days are better than others, but what I've learned from the surgery patients and those with tinnitus in both ears is that it is truely better to just ignore it.  I never really was bothered by mine until I had a flair up in my AN ear (clogged totally for a few days) and then the tinnitus seemed louder.

Also, did you happen to notice if the tones on the telephone sounded different in that ear?  when my ear was clogged the phone touch tone sounds all sounded the same.  No difference in tones, just distorted.  After the steroid treatment that (hapilly) cleared up.  Just the increased "T" now.

Gary

Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

jw

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 08:12:34 pm »
Hi, Gary.

Yes, the phone sounds quite different.  In fact, that's the first time I really noticed my hearing lioss starting - and that was around 5 years ago.  I didn't have tinnitus then.  Tones or voices on the phone sound quite different.  Distorted, yes, and muffled.  I always listened to the phone on my right ear, but now I find I can't.  I have to use my left ear.  I switched ears when not only was it hard to understand what was said, I couldn't tell who was on the phone unless I used my left ear.

John
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

kim warren

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 03:38:42 am »
Hello John

I've only just discovered this site, I'm finding it quite addictive.  I have tinnitus and have done for the past six years. It came on after we flew back from Barcelona.  It started off with a whooshing sound that I was getting periodically then it progressed into a sound that was like a washing machine that's on a high spin.  My T also changes pitch when I look up or side to side.  I think it's quite common to change pitch and a lot of T sufferers experience this.  My AN was 4cm and I had surgery in April 2004.  After surgery my tinnitus disapeared for a week or so, but unfortunately it has returned.  When I think or speak about it, it's more noticeable and also if I have been somewhere that is noisy it seems louder then.  I have got used to it now and can go long periods of time not noticing it.

Kim

lthompson

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 09:10:28 am »
Hi, I too have "T" but my "T" is on the opposite side of my AN.  I have no "T" in my affected ear, which is definitely wierd.  I too have different tones when I move my head from side to side or up and down.  I think mine is related to TMJ, which I have really bad on my right side and I think that is triggering my "T".  Thankfully, mine is not bothersome at all, it is at such a low pitch that I hardly notice it all.

Patrick

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 09:51:20 am »
My tinnitus was one of the first signs of my AN. I was told there would be a 5% chance it would be worse after surgery and of course I had to be in that 5% because mine is worse now than before. Everything else is fine, I have no other problems.

prittdgoat

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 04:41:40 pm »
Well thanks a lot guys!!!!!!   I thought my tinnitus was gone until I read this!!!!!!!   lol

luv2teachsped

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 08:53:06 pm »
prittdgoat: 
   There is some good news!  I had terribletinitus before my surgery, and mine is completely gone!  : :DSo there are a few positives.luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Kim

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 10:23:35 am »
For the first several weeks after surgery, I experienced some bizarre sounds.  Sometimes it was like there was a Star Wars saber fight going on in my head; other times it sounded like what we affectionately dubbed Cyber Dog barking.  Perfectly normal, accoring to my otolaryngologist, and went away with time.  Now, there's just the lovely LOUD ringing.

ljedwards

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 07:10:14 pm »
When I make a sudden movement - like moving my head from one side to another as if turning quickly to see something, my buzzing changes pitch. It only changes while I am moving. Side to side or up and down it does the same. It kind of sounds like a phaser from Star Trek when I move, once I stop it goes back to the regular buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ?If I put my chin down on my chest it stays with the 'phaser' sound, but that's the only position where it remains. Also, if I move my jaw around, especially if I move it to the far right side, the tone changes again. With jaw movement, the tone remains changed as long as I hold the position of my jaw. Move it back to normal, the regular buzzzzz returns.

Sounds like you are describing "gaze-induced" tinnitus.  A fellow patient in the K.C. Missouri AN support group was part of a study conducted back east as she had what you are describing.  You might do a net search and see what pops up.

Jeanne
ljedwards
GK 1998  left side 2.4 x 3.5cm
Midwest GK Center
Kansas City, MO

SVTCobra

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 08:03:44 pm »
My tinnitus gets louder as my head is moving around, but otherwise it stays at a fairly constant tone, except for the volume level which has increased in the past few months which is what caused me to go to the doctor along with more hearing loss, vision problems, and balance problems.

Good luck.

PS - My MRI is scheduled for this coming Monday AM (10/10/05), so I'm glad to finally be getting an answer to what might be causing all of this...

jw

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 08:25:14 pm »
Well, let's hope there's good news for you!  Let us know.

PS - My MRI is scheduled for this coming Monday AM (10/10/05), so I'm glad to finally be getting an answer to what might be causing all of this...
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.