Author Topic: Can one sided acoustic neuromas be genetically inherited?  (Read 4083 times)

alwaysanonymous

• just hold your head up high and be brave!
Can one sided acoustic neuromas be genetically inherited?
« on: March 09, 2005, 02:12:20 pm »
Can one sided acoustic neuromas be genetically inherited? well, i know that in NF2 bilateral acoustic neuromas are. but what if like in my situation, a child has one acoustic neuroma on the same side as the parent? i know there is nothing scientifically proven yet but if someone who has a parent or child(or grandparent) who has or had an acousitc neuroma on the same side as you let me know please. also if anyone has any information on this topic.

i really appreciate it thanks

Becky

Re: Can one sided acoustic neuromas be genetically inherited?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 04:36:05 pm »
This link provides some info about the genetics of AN's and NF, altho it may not answer your question.  You can never ask too many questions  ;)

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15162

Becky

alwaysanonymous

• just hold your head up high and be brave!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 04:55:37 pm »
thanks for the response. i clicked on the link and i leaarned about the chromosome 22 disorder but if anyonelse can let me know anymore about the inheritance of same sided one sided ANs let me know because the doctors all say it's not possible and i think it is.

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 06:28:34 pm »
Dear Alwaysanonymous,

Having read both of your posts I would like you to know that I think you are a pretty amazing young person!!!  You are definitely a positive example for all of us to follow.

In regards to your question.  In your research it might help to type in "spontaneous Acoustic Neuroma",  this basically means non NF Factor. 

I also asked the doctor many questions regarding inheriting issuses. 3 family members all have a different brain related medical problem.  The best answer that we were given is "recessive genes"

One of the leading centers for treatment of Acoustic Neuroma's is The House Ear Clinic in LA.
www.houseearclinic.com.  I'd seriously consider contacting them with your questions.  They have/are doing alot of research and might be able to assist you.

Again thank you for posting and sharing your AN journey
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

centimeter

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 03:03:31 pm »
thanks for the response. i clicked on the link and i leaarned about the chromosome 22 disorder but if anyonelse can let me know anymore about the inheritance of same sided one sided ANs let me know because the doctors all say it's not possible and i think it is.

Hi
  To my knowledge theres absolutely no proven link of isolated, spontaneous, unilateral ANs as being inherited except in NF-2.

C

sonshine

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 10:40:56 pm »
Hi,

This was one of my biggest concerns when I found out that I had an AN.  One of the first questions I asked my surgeron was," Is this heritary?" Because I was concerned for my only child.  My doctor immediatedly answered "No."  That was good enough for me.  And I don't worry about it any at all now.  I am the only person in my entire family, father's side and my mother's side that has ever had any type of brain tumor.

Thank God! 

Sonshine