Kathleen_Mc

Re: sleep
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 07:45:20 pm »
Batty : is the Benadryl working?
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 04:05:32 pm »
BP

Gosh, Benedryl is so drying......eyes and everything, right?  I used to take it for sleeping a year ago! 

Pal
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Battyp

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 04:30:22 pm »
Yes the benedryl puts me to sleep but I feel yucky the next morning so I can't say that it's helping.  I did get some ambien cr but it wired me up just like the rela something did.  I will continue taking the xanax at bedtime as needed.  I'm seeing a new dr in november to see about regulating my meds or giving me something for the ADD I've developed since surgery.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 06:45:14 pm »
Hey Batty!  :-*

Benedryl, being an antihistimine, does cause drowsiness... but since it's also used for allergies and such, it will be drying to your eyes, sinuses, etc.  If you are going to use it, also try using a humidifier as well (just a suggestion)

Melatonin, even in 3mg tablets, needs to be used with extreme caution.  For anyone that has been clinically diagnosed with any kind of depression, etc, it can enhance those emotions.  If used, should only be used slightly on a monthly basis,  not every night.

I likey the idea of SleepyTime teas (camomilles, etc).

As for sleep, I'm getting approx 6 hrs/night and hate it.  The fatique sets in too easy and hate relying on coffee... which I know is  a no-no anyway.

Add me to the list of non-sleepers.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 07:47:24 pm »
You have to get Sleepy Time Extra, it has chammomile and Valerian.  It's helpful, because I use it when I need it about 1/2 hour before bedtime, and I carve out a quiet area for me to sip my tea and read a book, thus a ritual that helps with sleep.  Good luck!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Windsong

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 07:20:00 pm »
You can add me to the sleepless list. I had a sleep study done and I suffer from a sleep disorder. Any other Aners end up having a diagnosed sleep disorder post An treatment, I wonder?

Windsong

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 02:20:07 am »
Hi Diane - yea, sleep is a problem - the mind won't quit.  But I had this problem before the surgery 4.5 months ago.    Geuss I'll be in rare form for work today.  Although, I'm alive and "life is a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get" (Forrest Gump).   
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 02:23:12 pm »
Hi

I have never been able to sleep and wondered if anything I took before to sleep might have caused AN.  Of course, you wonder everything.  I'm on the Ambien until my CK which seems like years.  My heart goes out to anyone having "real thing surgery."  Waiting for any of this is so difficult and not the doctor prescribed Vicodin for my pain.  (about three days ago)  I haven't taken any yet.  (holding out)

Regards,

Palace
single sided deafness

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 08:44:38 pm »
After my first surgery for the shunt installation, I was prescribed 60 Endocets. Endocet is acetometaphine and oxycondin. It's a generic version of Percocet. Upon my release from the hospital I never took one. If I needed anything, Advil proved more than sufficient. One month later, I went in for the tumor resection - a much harder surgery and prolonged recovery period. I was in pain and was given "dilaudid". I carried the script for the Endocet with me on my return to the hospital and never touched it. Even after my release three weeks later I never touched it. All I needed was Advil - lucky me! I went for 8 months without taking so much as an aspirin! I really hate polluting my body with drugs of any kind.

A little over a month ago I hurt my lower back. Talk about PAIN!!! I'll take the brain surgery any day before this crap! This is when I began to take the Endocet. But I'd only take two a day and only at bedtime. The medicine was prescribed for me to take 1-2 every 4-6 hours for so many days until they were gone.
I didn't do that. As a result, I still have some. My point is: talk about NIRVANA and relaxation!! Waves of warmth and painless bliss comforted me as I drifted off to sleep. I can see how people can get addicted to that stuff. But I'd never, ever allow that to happen to me. Example: here it is 9:40 at night. It's dark and cold and I'm going jogging for 3 miles!  I'm done with the pain meds. But I really don't want to be stuck without them in the event of a situation like a lower back sprain. Those Endocets really helped me to relax and sleep.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:42:16 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 09:01:31 am »
Yahoooooooooooooo,

I finally got sleep!  I got seven straight hours the night before, on my new Valium prescription.  Last night I got eight hours straight (no wake-ups) and feel better.  The Ambien was helping me awake with a migraine headache each morning at midnight.  I was starting my days at midnight with tea, building a fire and staying up for the day.  My neck is better with all of your help and perhaps the Valium.  I haven't had a good night like the past two, in over a year now. 

THANK YOU so much on all of your ideas and encouragement,

Your forum-friend........Palace
single sided deafness

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 08:11:15 am »
Windsong: I have been diagnosed with a sleep disorder but it was working shift work all the time that was blamed for the developement of it. Apparently it takes me 4 hours to reach REM sleep when I sleep at night, the sleep doctor felt this likely doesn't happen when I sleep in the day, he believe if it was happening I'd be much worse off than I am. It was because of my having had brain surgery he wouldn't give me melontonin, he says it's contra-indicated in those with "brain damage" (the scar tissue issue).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 09:06:19 pm »
HI All you Night Owls.

You'll usually find me reading on this here forum or watching infomercials at 2-3am.  I practically nod off the second I hit the pillow because I am so sleep deprived, but then I just can't stay asleep. If the slightest thing wakes me up, I instantly hear the #*#*# tinnitus and can't go back to sleep. I usually toss around for about an hour before giving in to the "Inner head symphony" and get up to watch the same ole infomercials trying to get exhausted enough to go back to bed.  I used to take a drug called "trazadone" which I liked much better than benidryl. Never felt crummy the next day after the trazadone. No side effects and not addictive. I hear ambion can be addictive. But one does develope a tollerance to it. i would take 1/2 a 25mg pill a night maybe 4-5 nights a week. it really helped. then I was up to a whole pill for a long time, and a few times I took 1 1/2,  so i decdied maybe I should stop for a while. I'm just about to go back to them because I'm not sleeping agian. Wish the forum had instant messaging. It could be fun during the wee hours when were all up.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year