Author Topic: Just had gamma knife surgery last Tuesday  (Read 14704 times)

rupert

Re: Just had gamma knife surgery last Tuesday
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 11:59:01 am »
         I am following this thread also.      My question is,    when do you make the call to the Doc.  for the steroids?    I  am  8 months

post GK and to this point have had no post procedural effects.   However this last week I have started to have some dizzy spells and some nausea.

I am probably experiencing some swelling.  I can still function fairly well,  but it is annoying.    I had two similar episodes like this years ago,  which I now attribute to the

AN  working its  magic on the balance nerve.   Both these episodes turned severe after several weeks.     That would be my concern now.

I know they said to call if there were any problems and they would start the steroids,  but without severe symptoms I certainly don't want to start them.  Or

should I?     

nanramone

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »
Hi Rupert - the physician's assistant in Pittsburgh told me that if I notice any persistent marked change in hearing loss, balance issues, headache, etc, I should be concerned. He said if there are just mild transient changes, it's probably not important.

To feel better, I've located a radiation oncologist here at home who will help me monitor any problems that might arise, as well as take responsibility for reviewing future MRIs and communicating with Pittsburgh if necessary. I didn't feel comfortable not having a doctor in town who I could reach if something goes wrong. I feel more secure this way.

Nancy

darrylx

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »
Here is my latest update:  They have been cycling me down on the Dex and I should be done with that by the end of the week.  The side effects of taking that drug are truly unacceptable for me.  Sleep sucked, the feeling of "coming down" off of it sucked.  My body has been running hot taking the meds also.  I feel dehydrated also.  I've been drinking gallons of water.  Sometimes, I felt as though I was crawling out of my skin.  But my symptoms are much improved.  My balance is still off but I can at least walk around not looking like I've been drinking all day.  When I'm sitting or laying down, the ear is good to go.  When I get up and start walking, I feel a "fullness" in the ear and my vertigo begins.  That is not happening as often, though.

My facial weakness has improve tremendously also.  Just a little bit of droopiness.  It's almost gone.

I don't think that I'm ready to quite drive yet but maybe in a week or so.  We'll see.  I still have the burned effect on my tongue but that is improving.

The hearing in the ear has improved a little bit.  When I get back home, I'll have another audiogram to see what I have to do to get a hearing aid.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:15:09 pm by darrylx »

Lizard

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55:49 am »
Darryl,
Its good to hear that you are improving, and totally understand the steriod affects...hate them!  ugh. 
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt