Author Topic: If the Hearing nerve is removed do you still have tinitus???  (Read 7268 times)

Windsong

Re: If the Hearing nerve is removed do you still have tinitus???
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 11:54:37 pm »
As far as I know there is no study that explains why tinnitus occurs and can "cure it". That does not surprise me. The pulsing sounds for example happen to all sorts of people and they do not have an An;  the ringing can happen after all sorts of things;  the hissing and all the rest of the sounds can also happen in a multitude of situations or post situations.

It's interesting how write ups about tinnitus have changed over the last five years for example.

It's good to see that tinnitus is being studied all over the world.

It's probably quite complicated..... as someone said a long time ago here, the area around an An is a very busy place:   nerves, blood vessels;   various complicated  structures (inner ear for example);  bio medical exchanges of fluids;  cell membrane activity;   hair cells;  diet;  meds;   sound exposure;  arteries; blood vessels;    heck,  maybe even muscle activity and sodium ions....

well it goes on and on.....

It is being researched and who knows...... those of us who are dealing with it daily might  find a way that actually gets rid of it.
I Hope so.

W.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 05:55:53 am »
I experience an elevated sound when I touch or have an itch on my back below the scapula.  Can't figure out why the nerves there would give an increased sound in my AN side?
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 06:54:57 am »
I experience an elevated sound when I touch or have an itch on my back below the scapula.  Can't figure out why the nerves there would give an increased sound in my AN side?

Odd, isn't it.  Any time I have an involuntary muscle twitch, I get a burst in my tinnitus, too.  I've just chalked it up to the inter-connectedness of the whole nervous system.

Let me know if you get a better answer than that!   :)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 07:24:14 am »
It hit accelerated growth from October 2006 and April 2007... I was not even suppose to go back til this
October for new MRI... I was enjoying watch and wait stautus... my hearing started changing weekly
and I got more wobbly and made an appointment and there it was from a tiny thing to a monster...
looking at scans side by side it looked huge even though when I look at a ruler 3 cm looks small

Anyway... no one is positive why it took off growing... most think hormones may have played into it ...
I started having 2 periods a month lasting ten days with a week if I was lucky between...I got to the point
that I was losing more blood than my body could replace...I ended up with a hysterectomy in March since
the iron I was taking wasn't boosting it enough and the hormone pills they tried to balance things out with
were messing with my liver...I knew things were different but was not really ready for just how different...they
gave me a few months to get things in order and look into radiation but the radiation oncologist didn't feel
good about zapping it because of lupus...

So short answer is they don't know ... but suspect hormone involvement

And to beat all the rheumatologist has issued a letter saying I may not have lupus but MCTD (cousin of lupus ) so
now find that radiation may have been an option after all...

But over all doing well... have a post op tomorrow... aside from headaches when I bend over ,sneeze ,cough
etc and the twitchy eye and taste problems I am doing great...

Have found something funny that I didn't realize til my 8 year old started laughing at me...when I yawn the eye
on the AN side closes... it doesn't just close but squeezes tightly shut
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

mykey

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 12:35:21 am »
My Neurosurgeon told me firmly in our post-surgery meeting that the noises that constitute tinitus were not real sounds at all, but were instead the Brains attempt to translate signals sent to it via a damaged receptor (hearing nerve)!
He said that as far as he knows, there is not a single report of an individuals tinitus going away after surgery.
Moreover, he said that changes in the volume or tone of the noises were not related to any growth or change in AN tumors.
The type of noise that you might be used to can (without cause) change many trimes during a lifetime.
He has had patients describe anything from a low bell tone to a high ring.

All without any verifiable proof of a link to removal, growth or change in the individual tumor!

So, good luck.

Personally,
I hope mine stays it's cute little, un-rattling white noise it has pretty much always been!!

MYKEY :o
Diagnosed  1/20/2007. Right side AN 2.5 cm
50yr, guitarist for 35 yrs.
Married w/10yr old son.
Translab 4/26/07 at Emory University performed by: Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson
Surgery successful!
Extended time in ICU due to CSF leaks.