Author Topic: looking up and down  (Read 2431 times)

lora

looking up and down
« on: August 18, 2007, 12:47:59 pm »
I am doing pretty well full speed ahead--but still want to topple if I have to look up or down.  I am going to follow which ever direction my head is going!  Does this improve over time??
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: looking up and down
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 02:23:26 pm »
Lora -

I had retrosigmoid surgery on 5/31/07 and this was a big problem for me post surgery.  It's gotten better over time.  I think one of the tricks is to focus on something directly in front of you and not look up or down too much.  Once you reach the object you are focused on, pick another object that is farther away, focus on it, etc.  In my experience, you'll get better over time.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:44:35 am »
Hi Lora:  yes, it DOES get better over time.  I started going for balance therapy 4 months post op as it wasn't getting better fast enough for me, now, 14 months post op, there are days I don't much notice it.  If I'm extra tired then I still get a bit wobbly, but NOTHING like the 1st few months.    HANG IN THERE !!!!    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:31:18 pm »
lora,
  Many AN'ers on this forum have reported that they sometimes turn toward the direction that they turn their head.  It does get better with more time.  For me this happened for a several months after AN surgery (lost one vestibular nerve).  When walking on a flat level area and noting the direction I was headed, then shut my eyes and turned my head a few times, when I opened my eyes I was no longer headed in the original direction.  This has gotten much better with time, and doesn't really affect me much now.  Lot's of walking also helps recover balance capabilities.
  If you haven't signed up for Vestibular Retraining with a Physical Therapist, see if your doctors can refer you to a PT that is versed in Vestibular Retraining.   The retraining helped me a lot.  I've been reading lately that Vestibular Training may have a time period when it is most affective-- the article was actually about people with balance problems after a stroke, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that AN patients have a "sweet spot" in time after AN treatment where Vestibular Retraining will be most beneficial.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:59:52 pm »
Hi,
I'm a teller @ credit union.  I count a lot of money.  I have to focus on my left thumb and keep my head very still when I whip throught the bills.  Some days nothing stops my head from swimming.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games