Author Topic: Balance skills of a two legged dog  (Read 2533 times)

Boppie

Balance skills of a two legged dog
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:56:53 pm »
Did you see that two legged grey hound on TV?  It lost two legs on the same side.  It runs around like crazy and can keep up with the rest of the guys.  When he gets tired he leans against something to rest and then he's off again.   They say he doesn't chase his tail very well. :D  I understand this dog's disablility so well.  But I am truly wowed by the adaptive abilities that we have.  What a life it is!

I learned from the dog story...the slower I walk, the less I find balance.  The quicker I walk, the better my momentum and agility. I walk really wonky in a slow moving crowd.

Obita

Re: Balance skills of a two legged dog
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 05:40:10 am »
Hi Boppie:

I did see that pooch on tv and was amazed at how well he moved around.

My ex-husband of 24 years and I have remaind best friends.  We like to go to our old neighborhood restaurants in Mpls. which means walking a few blocks after finding a parking spot.  He still likes to hold hands while walking, browsing shop windows etc...He has a bad knee and limps.  I can't do it!!  I too, need momentum and if there is any interruption to the momentum, I gotta let go.  Is his limp throwing me off?  Or, is hand holding while walking not easy for us missing one VN?

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:42:30 am »
Dogs...(and most animals), dont know the meaning of quit... they will try until it works for them!..

Obita, think bike .. the faster you go the easier it is to balance.. the slower you go , the harder it is .. and when I bike comes to a stop at a stop sign ... you need to put your feet down to keep from falling over...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 01:34:06 pm »
When I work on balance on the treadmill at the gym, the head turns are always harder at a slower pace, and thay are really hard at a slow pace on an incline. Try it sometime! I always wondered why my Physical Terrorist had me walking so slow on the treadmill at first.

Has anyone read that book "Everything I know I Learned From My Dog?" Or did they watch the CNN this morning about the nursing home dog named Scamp that went around comforting all the familires of those who lost or were soon to lose loved ones?  I know my beloved Ursa coulD sense a brainwreck coming on before I even realized I was getting it!

Arf!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:21:34 pm »
Kathy,

Probably both the limp and the slow walk are throwing you off.  But lean on your man.  Love is very important.  :)

Whenever I can I get my arms swinging while walking.  The swing help momentum, too.  The artist on the tight rope uses a balance pole or his arms.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 02:25:38 pm by Boppie »

Static

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:30:29 pm »
I have found the same thing, that if I walk at a faster pace, I do much better.  Unfortunately, many of the residents that I drive go much slower and want to hold onto me as we walk after parking, to get to their appointments.  Well I found out quite some time ago, during my rehab, when my hubby tried to hold onto me to help me when I was crossing the street or something that if someone grabs onto me, it totally throws me off.  I need to be in total control of what's going on and if he grabs me or even wants to hold hands, it totally throws me off.  So when one of the elderly patients that I take to dr appts wants to hold onto me, I suggest to them that I do better holding onto them.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I do the best that I can in that particular situation.  But honestly Kathy, try your holding onto his arm instead of just holding hands and it grounds you differently or something because I do just fine in that situation but not if someone wants to hold onto me and besides, I feel like if I need to help them, I am in a better position that way to do so.  So next time, when walking through the City, take hold of his arm and see how that works for you and let us know  ;)
~Karen 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 11:28:49 am »
  Just after surgery I felt like a two legged dog.  Thank goodness it improves.
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW